To Texturize or Not to texturize...That is the question?

NIK

I have natural hair with a very defined curl pattern. I'm considering getting a texturizer because I want my hair to hang southward, minimize the frizz and have more styling options without too much manupilation. My ideal hairstyle would be Cree Summer or Lisa Nicole Carson. Can those styles be achieved with a texturizer?

Do I have any naturals (4a) who have been able to achieve that style without a texturized?

And those who are texturized, what would you say are the pros and cons of your hair?

cmw45

I am a 4a and I had a texturizer and the problem is that unless you get someone to do it that a) really knows what their doing and b) is going to spend time figuring out the different textures of your hair so that they can determine how long to let it set on each section, then you'll end up with overprocessed areas that look straight. c) Because the texturizer gets into the rest of your hair...after the 3rd or 4th texturizer...your hair is just straight:perplexed

Radianthealth

That is what I was going to say. I texturized my hair when I was natural and the first one came out lovely, I had nice loose 3C type curls and I am a 4b. After 2-3 more texturizers my hair was a texlaxed, relaxed, texturized mess. I ended up relaxing and moving on.

I currently texlax about 80% to minimize damage on my fine hair.

hopeful

I had bad luck with texturizing too. There's a thread on here somewhere with details about coating the hair with a protein conditioner before texturizing to maintain the curl but I can't seem to do a search tonight. If I ever tried texturizing again I would definitely use a lye relaxer and try that protein idea. Have you tried kinky curly's Curling Custard of Qhemet's gel? They really weigh the hair down and help show some length. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Trini"T"

Nik, have you considered getting the shingling technique. I've seen other hairdressers do it but I know for a fact Ms. Jessie's does it. This process is chemical-free though and will last up to a week. Check out pics at www.missjessies.com . This salon also offers a way for your hair to permanently stay like this (chemically of course)with the Silkener, but seeing that it is a form of texturizing, the people who apply this to hair have to be very precise with every touch up or it will become jacked up like what the other ladies described:lol:. This is the only reason why I'm not cutting off all of my hair and getting the Silkener because I feel like it's too exclusive and I'm a person that doesn't like to rely on others to groom me. Do consider the shingling though!

Ebonygurl00

I think that doing a texturizer is more complicated than doing a relaxer. With a texturizer, you have to make sure you get the same or close results everytime. Good luck!

brownsuggadiva

wow.. i am sitting here this morning..debating on getting a texturizer done. i KNOW i want something done along those lines, but not a perm.

ive been toying with a change since my 8th month of pregnancy and my baby is now approaching 3 months. so i know its something thats not a fleeting thought.

for those that had troublem...how often did u do this process?

Softresses

I texturize my own hair. I have tighter curls up in the top than every where else.

This is my technique;

I use Hawaiian Silky Lye relaxer, and texturize.

Here is a post I did for someone who wanted the technique:

I am at just below BSL and have done my own relaxers for YEARS!

I make four sections, since my hair is so thick I have to divide each of those sections in half.

I do a loose two strand twist with each of those sections, (making sure that the newgrowth itself is not twisted) put nutralizer shampoo on the ends, this keeps the relaxer from effecting anything you don't want it to, and secure. I then start to put in my relaxer on one twist at a time starting with where I have my tightest curls (front,middle). I do not take down the twist before I apply the relaxer. The twists are very loose and secured only on the end loosely with ouchless bands. I work reallly carefully and fast. (I only texturize.)

Once I have finished applying relaxer to the new growth, I take down the loose twists,
(this method really works to keep from getting the relaxer on the ends and to keep longer hair from tangling if you are doing it by yourself). I shed very little hair applying it this way.

I then nutralize shampoo until all the "pink" has turned white and then do it once or twice more (yes, I am paranoid). Then I condition.

I hope some of this will help.

Softresses,

NIK

Has anyone achieved that "look" without a texturizer? What product did have you used to achieve that look?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My hair did well with texturizers, but I did not know how to do touch ups properly. MTG made my texturized hair grow faster and my hair kept needing to be retouched every 3 weeks. I'm thinking about trying to keep my hair texturizer free for at least 6 months after my BC. I'm still unsure if I will texturize it at all. I've found some new ways wash n go without gel. I think my natural hair will respond better with TLC. Good luck with what you decide to do.:D

Last edited:

caligirl

I'm a big fan of sets to get a "texturized look" such as spiral sets or braidouts. I'm too afraid that someone will f**k my hair up with a texturizer and I'm not willing to risk it.

Last edited: