The Book of Mormon

MissJ

I had a practicing Mormon roommate for a few months, and her missionaries came to talk to her one day and asked if I would join them. I did. They asked me if I read the Bible and asked what was favorite quote from the Bible, etc. (Hebrews 13:2) They also asked if talked to God, asked for thing, etc. I said that I did, but I don't think He's given me any answers.

One of the missionaries said something about my answers may not come when I expect them but I should be patient or something like that. I said that I'd been asking one particular question for years, and it had gone unanswered. Lo and behold, maybe a few weeks later, I got my answer to that question. It was a life-changing revelation.

I started reading The Book of Mormon, because they asked me to. Then a few weeks later, I landed an interview for a job. I read The Book of Mormon right before I went in for the interview. I got the job, my first real job, which I've been searching for for years!!!! I read The Book of Mormon every day at work while my computer is booting up. ;)

Then I got into law school with a scholarship, when I had been thinking about working part-time and going to school part-time. Heck, one school even offered me a housing scholarship, but I had to turn that one down. Now, I don't have to worry about money. I've been soooooo miserable for the past 4 years, and now everything in my life seems to be coming together. Could it be mere coincidence, or do you think The Book of Mormon has anything to do with it?

MissJ...if you think it's helping, then maybe it is. Now the Book of Mormon, is a Bible, or no?

I am unfamiliar with the book of Mormon, but doesn't it mention black people/people of color negativly? Or is that an urban legend?

Mormonism has not been too kind to colored people, has it? Or have things changed? I know my uncle recently coverted, but I don't put much stock into him, as he is nuts.

all I know is that Jesus said whatsoever you ask my Father in my name, you shall have it. I'm not sure how the book of mormons in, but I know the Bible that i read which is the Word of God. I know what God said in His word, and His promises for me who believes, and so I act on it. I've been reading on prayer failures, as in when people have unanswered prayers, in which case you have to trace steps back and figure out why. Maybe something in your life wasnt right, or you werent completely right with God.

StrawberryQueen said:
MissJ...if you think it's helping, then maybe it is. Now the Book of Mormon, is a Bible, or no?

I am unfamiliar with the book of Mormon, but doesn't it mention black people/people of color negativly? Or is that an urban legend?

Mormonism has not been too kind to colored people, has it? Or have things changed? I know my uncle recently coverted, but I don't put much stock into him, as he is nuts.
It says something about if somebody does something bad, he will be punished by his skin turning black or something like that. I don't have the book in front of me, but I think that's the jist of it. Now, I don't know about you, but my skin ain't black. It's brown. The missionaries who were trying to get me into the church sure didn't care that I'm black. Neither did my roommate.

People can make the argument that Mormons were racist against blacks in the past. Well, wasn't everybody racist against blacks at one point in time? Some people still are. I'm not a Mormon, and I'm not defending them. I'm just making a point.

Naijaqueen said:
all I know is that Jesus said whatsoever you ask my Father in my name, you shall have it. I'm not sure how the book of mormons in, but I know the Bible that i read which is the Word of God. I know what God said in His word, and His promises for me who believes, and so I act on it. I've been reading on prayer failures, as in when people have unanswered prayers, in which case you have to trace steps back and figure out why. Maybe something in your life wasnt right, or you werent completely right with God.
Are all your prayers answered right on time?

MissJ said:
It says something about if somebody does something bad, he will be punished by his skin turning black or something like that. I don't have the book in front of me, but I think that's the jist of it. Now, I don't know about you, but my skin ain't black. It's brown. The missionaries who were trying to get me into the church sure didn't care that I'm black. Neither did my roommate.

People can make the argument that Mormons were racist against blacks in the past. Well, wasn't everybody racist against blacks at one point in time? Some people still are. I'm not a Mormon, and I'm not defending them. I'm just making a point.
Well you can split hairs and say you're not black you're brown, but IMO that's enough to turn me away from it.

If you like it and it works-go ahead. But I will say this, I consider the Koran, Torah, and Bible to be holy works. The Book or Mormon does nt fall into that category, IMO.

Well, from what I read I don't think it's referring to black people. When I got to that part in the book (I think the 2nd book of Nephi), I was going to ask the missionaries about it, but I had moved.

MissJ said:
Well, from what I read I don't think it's referring to black people. When I got to that part in the book (I think the 2nd book of Nephi), I was going to ask the missionaries about it, but I had moved.
What else could it refer to? What/who else has black skin? And there are black people/African Americans who are almost-literally black in skin color.

J,

I hope someone with more knowledge and understanding on this will come in here. I can't say that I really understand anything about Mormons. I have been told that they are NOT Christians, but I don't have any proof or evidence to back that up. Like I said, I really don't understand it and I know that they do claim to be of Christ.

I am praying that someone will come in who is well versed in this and give more insight.

What do y'all think? This is what is says:

Inasmuch as they will not hearken unto thy words they shall be cut off from the presence of the Lord. And behold, they were cut off from his presence.

And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

And thus saith the Lord God; I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their iniquities.

MissJ said:
What do y'all think? This is what is says:

So is it saying that God cursed these people with black skin?

I heard that mormons teach that black people are descended from Cain ( the one who slew his brother Abel- well the only Cain in the bible). Well anyway, after God punished Cain and put a mark on him, so that no one would kill him, that mark was black skin.... Bull. So basically they are saying that blacks descended from murderers....

I don't know what this church is doing for you, but I wouldn't want to join a group that teaches that I should be ashamed for my skin color. :ohwell: We already have white beauty standards to fight. This doesn't make it any easier.

God reaches us in many ways. I think that it is was good that you were open and perhaps that is why you received your answers and blessings.

Miss J....

Ask yourself is God the Creator of all the same, yesterday, today and forever? Well the Mormon religion's God sure wasn't. He was a down right racist when it came to Blacks.

The negroes are not equal with other races where the receipt of certain spiritual blessings are concerned, particularly the priesthood and the temple blessings that flow therefrom..." (Mormon Doctrine, p.527, 1966 ed.)

Now after the Civil Rights movement and Blacks having more of a voice in Society today, you can bet those Mormons aren't going to acknowledge your skin being black. Why? Because they are trying to step away from their racist past and recruit good little Negroes like you to be poster children for the Mormon religion.

Moromonism has a racist Theology.

Mormon theology teaches that that Cain and his descendants were placed under a curse, namely, black skin, a curse that prevented almost all of Cain's descendants from being allowed entry into the Mormon priesthood. Not until 1978,in a declaration entitled "Official Declaration 2", did the Mormon church finally relent, and allowed blacks into their priesthood. Mormons believe the Cainites survived the Flood because Noah's son Ham married a Cainite (allegedly). Those who are descended for this couple are Cainites and are under the "curse" of black skin, according to Mormon theology. This doctrine has been the basis of the racist exclusion of blacks from the Mormon priesthood until as late as 1978.

So how do Mormons try to get out of this racist charge?
Well, they sometimes claim a descendant of Ham could technically be any skin color, not just black. However, the reference to dark skin in the LDS scriptures and leaders's speeches rules out this escape hatch. LDS apologists may also try to point to such ethnic groups as the aborigines of Australia, dark-skinned people who were never under the ban. However, this is simply irrelevant. Africans and African-Americans were considered inferior people up until 1978, and the Mormon church has to answer for it.

The history of racist doctrine in the Mormon religion continues to haunt this religion to this day. Racist texts in the "Book of Mormon" and other allegedly "sacred" works (Books of Abraham and Moses) continue to expose the racist beliefs of the early Mormon leaders.

I can't imagine who those first black priest were in 1978 or if they exist. But I can imagine the mentality of "Please Massa, lemme inta hebun!"

Now the Book of Mormon is suppose to be the "restored gospel of Jesus Christ," but in their very scriptures, your salvation is coming from a Divine Racist.

Anyone can manipulate a religion's scriptures for their own interests, example: early "christian" slave owners, however Mormons founded their very church on their bigotry, which was the exclusion of people with BLACK SKIN just like yours. If you're looking for luck or enlightenment from a source like that, hmmm you may be better off with a deck of Tarot cards.

Last edited:
Shucks, then Christianity is racist theology too then. Didn't the Southern Baptist just change some of their teachings in '80s? It certainly was used to subdue millions of slaves over hundreds of years. :ohwell:

On another note, Gladys Knight is Mormon.

sunshinelady said:
Shucks, then Christianity is racist theology too then. Didn't the Southern Baptist just change some of their teachings in '80s? It certainly was used to subdue millions of slaves over hundreds of years. :ohwell:

There were no overtly racist scriptures in the Bible unless you count the one where Moses' sister did not like his wife because she was black. (my paraphrase)

Other than that, yes they found scriptures they felt supported their cause, but again none directly spoke against those with dark skin as being less.

I guess you havent gotten to the part of the book that basically says that when Mormons die, they become "mini Gods" over their own planets...and you haven't gotten to the part about spirit babies...nor have you gotten to the part that says you can pray your dead relatives into Heaven.

The Mormons that I have known have been very nice people. They have a nice community and all, but there is a lot of Mormon Doctrine that directly goes against the Bible Miss J. I would be wary of it.

sunshinelady said:

As I stated before, any religion can be manipulated to suit ones cause. Why did you think that it was OUT LAWED for slaves to learn to read? Think! Once they did they turned the scriptures back on those so called "moral" white slave owners. However, I've yet to read any doctrine within the Judeo/Christian religion that speaks against "the negro" as being a lesser being due to his skin color, as stated in the Mormon scriptures.

The "christian" scriptures were manipulated for the benefit of slavery and easily so, because the Negro couldn't read. However it wasn't the Christian Theology so much as it was mis-information or propaganda that the Negro wasn't human, that supported "good christian folk" to enslave another race. Some really thought that it was their God-fearing duty to help us and guide us from our barbaric ways. Pair that with the wealth of MONEY that one could earn in the slavery business, etc., then you can be swayed to believe anything, as long as it supports your income. Of course, Jews had slaves and so did Indian and some Blacks in America as well. In any event, it was those "christian scriptures" that were turned back on the American slavery system and had the "white" christian weigh that inhuman system from their own moral high ground.

Simply put. I, as a descendent of those slaves can READ and Write now. I can challenge doctrines, scriptures, theology, etc. and come to my own understanding about any religion.

I keep reading the Mormons are nice. Hmmmm, there's not a whole lot of Blacks in Salt Lake City or even Utah. You still meet whites from the area amazed that you even exist. :lol: I'm sure if enough Blacks moved to the area to threatened the racial makeup, then you'd see the same prejudices anywhere else.

I'm from the South. I use a hear a term a lot "Mista So-an-So is a nice white man" and then you'd find out how much Mista So-an-So cheated the Black folks that he did business with. I suppose, some think that as long as a white person isn't calling you the N-word, then they are genuinely nice. Raise the bar and take your time to discern if that's the truth or not about the individual before you. I ain't tryin to hate on Mormons or White Folk....just stop, look, listen, read, ask questions and pray. Remember, the wolf is always in sheep's clothing and the devil is always coming nice, friendly and with a bright smile. JMO

Last edited:
I would like to learn more about the history of the religion so that I can put everything in context, but as of now, I've stopped reading the book. Back to the good ol' Bible for me. :)

Back