The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I found out last night one of my family members has COVID and under sedation, ventilated in the hospital. Her husband and son are both quarantined. Her daughter told me her mother and father thought they had the flu and/or allergies and kept going to work - she doesn't think they wore masks, or what precautions they took if any. I can't begin to imagine who they were in contact with and how many. We're all praying for her recovery.

brg240

I found out last night one of my family members has COVID and under sedation, ventilated in the hospital. Her husband and son are both quarantined. Her daughter told me her mother and father thought they had the flu and/or allergies and kept going to work - she doesn't think they wore masks, or what precautions they took if any. I can't begin to imagine who they were in contact with and how many. We're all praying for her recovery.

I hope she recovers and the people that were around her don't have it.

Also, i don't find anything inherently wrong with what the SG said. it's just that he has multiple strikes against him (from me at least.) I can't watch the press briefings b/c they make upset but did he mention the disparity in care. Or it was just personal responsibility?

shelli4018

^^^ I think we should reassess our relationship with China (to the extent that is incrementally feasible) due to the quality of goods coming from the country and the fact that the conditions help breed these type of animal to human pathogen crossovers.

The Asian continent has a few other pathogens brewing including another avian influenza under wraps over there right now that if it gets loose has a 30% mortality rate: H7N9

Wait...what? Is there a vaccine?

King of Sorrow

After Months of Denial, Russia Admits the Virus Is Taking Hold
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/world/europe/coronavirus-russia-moscow-putin.html

MOSCOW — The authorities in Moscow said on Friday that coronavirus cases are increasing rapidly here and have already pushed the city’s health care system to its limit.

Warning that the outbreak in the Russian capital was far from reaching its peak, Anastasia Rakova, a deputy mayor responsible for health, said that the number of people hospitalized with the illness related to the virus in Moscow had more than doubled over the past week to 6,500. Nearly half of those infected are under the age of 45.

The city’s mayor, Sergei Sobyanin, sounded a further alarm, saying that the virus “is gaining momentum” and that “the situation is becoming increasingly problematic.”

A flurry of bad news on Friday about the outbreak indicated that Russia, relatively spared until now from the ravages of the virus, has started on the same harrowing path taken weeks ago by hard hit countries like Italy and now the United States. This has dashed hopes in the Kremlin that its decision in late January to close Russia’s long border with China, the original source of the virus, and then limit travel from Europe had contained the outbreak.

President Vladimir V. Putin, who usually takes the lead with great fanfare in times of crisis, has mostly stayed in the background. He has retreated to his country residence outside Moscow, leaving Mr. Sobyanin, the mayor, and Russia’s prime minister, Mikhail Mishustin, to take the heat for a health crisis that now looks set to get far worse.

Hospitals in at least two regions are already overwhelmed by infected patients. In Syktyvkar, the capital of the Komi oil-producing region northeast of Moscow, the main hospital has more than 200 infected people, while scores of medical personnel and more than a thousand patients at a hospital in Ufa, 700 miles east of Moscow, have been ordered not to leave the premises after 170 people there tested positive.

Deviating from previous official assurances that Russia is well prepared for a possible crush of patients, the health minister, Mikhail Murashko, on Friday warned that the country’s health care services were now “experiencing stress regarding supplies,” including the supply of personal protection equipment and ventilators.

And with Mr. Putin having scored a propaganda coup recently by sending planeloads of such medical supplies to a variety of countries, including the United States, the reports of shortages could become a sore point.

With little good news to celebrate on earth, Mr. Putin on Friday spoke with Russian and American astronauts on board the international space station, congratulating them on their safe arrival in space aboard a Russian rocket launched on Thursday. Keeping his distance from the coronavirus crisis, Mr. Putin also chaired a teleconference about Russia’s aerospace industry.

Moscow reported 1,124 new cases of confirmed coronavirus infections on Friday, bringing the total in the city to 7,822, compared with more than 80,000 in New York City. The authorities in the Russian capital, which accounts for two-thirds of all cases in the country, last week ordered residents to stay at home except to buy food and medicine and to walk their dogs within 100 yards of their residence. But eager to avoid too much disruption to the economy, they have done little to enforce the restrictions.

Police cars drive around the city broadcasting a message appealing to “dear citizens” to stay indoors, and the mayor, Mr. Sobyanin, has made increasingly insistent calls for Muscovites to follow self-quarantine rules. On Friday, he warned that Moscow was still “somewhere at the base of the peak” and needed to prepare for “a serious test ahead.”

After weeks of debate about the accuracy of official figures, an official letter to Moscow hospital directors leaked online and seemed to support allegations by Kremlin critics that Russia’s relatively low coronavirus figures were not true. The letter, signed by the head of Moscow’s health department, Aleksei Khripun, acknowledged that testing had been compromised by a “very high number of false results” that masked the true extent of Covid-19.

Anastasia Vasilieva, the head of an independent doctors’ union, has accused the government of downplaying the number of cases by deliberately misclassifying Covid-19 as pneumonia. She was detained last week in what was seen as punishment for puncturing an official narrative that everything is under control.

But Russia’s health minister, Mr. Murashko, has himself since come close to acknowledging widespread misclassification. In an interview on state television, he said that patients with pneumonia will from now on be treated in the same way as those confirmed as having coronavirus.

vevster

Praying for your family.

Dellas

Does anyone know how to get toilet paper?
Costco, Publix, Walmart,CVS,and Target was out and so was Amazon.
I thought I had enough but I have multiple people in my household and no one wants to use the bidet.

I signed up for Target notification.
However, I literally don't know what to do.

I know I am not the only one. We are down to our last seven rolls, and am getting worried. I literally have searched in person and online.

TrulyBlessed

^^^ I think we should reassess our relationship with China (to the extent that is incrementally feasible) due to the quality of goods coming from the country and the fact that the conditions help breed these type of animal to human pathogen crossovers.

The Asian continent has a few other pathogens brewing including another avian influenza under wraps over there right now that if it gets loose has a 30% mortality rate: H7N9

Now we gotta to keep our eye on South Carolina too.

USDA confirms H7N3 avian influenza in a S.C. commercial turkey flock

WASHINGTON — The USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has confirmed the presence of highly pathogenic H7N3 avian influenza (HPAI) in a commercial turkey flock in Chesterfield County, South Carolina.

This is the first confirmed case of HPAI in commercial poultry in the United States since 2017. It appears this HPAI strain mutated from a low pathogenic strain that has been found in poultry in that area recently.

No human cases of this H7N3 avian influenza virus have been detected and there is no immediate public health concern. As a reminder, the proper handling and cooking of poultry and eggs to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F kills bacteria and viruses.

Samples from the affected flock, which experienced increased mortality, were tested at the Clemson Veterinary Diagnostic Center, part of the National Animal Laboratory Network, and confirmed at the APHIS National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL) in Ames, Iowa.

Virus isolation is ongoing. APHIS is working closely with the South Carolina State Veterinarian’s Office, part of Clemson University, on a joint incident response. State officials quarantined the affected premises, and birds on the property were depopulated to prevent the spread of the disease. Birds from the flock will not enter the food system. As part of existing avian influenza response plans, federal and state partners are working jointly on additional surveillance and testing in the nearby area. The United States has the strongest AI surveillance program in the world, and USDA is working with its partners to actively look for the disease in commercial poultry operations, live bird markets and in migratory wild bird populations.

USDA will report this finding to the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) as well as international trading partners. USDA also continues to communicate with trading partners to encourage adherence to OIE standards and minimize trade impacts. OIE trade guidelines call on countries to base trade restrictions on sound science and, whenever possible, limit restrictions to those animals and animal products within a defined region that pose a risk of spreading disease of concern.

All bird owners, whether commercial producers or backyard enthusiasts, should continue to practice good biosecurity, prevent contact between their birds and wild birds, and report sick birds or unusual bird deaths to state/federal officials, either through their state veterinarian or through USDA’s toll-free number at 866-536-7593.

Additional information on biosecurity for can be found at www.aphis.usda.gov/animalhealth/defendtheflock.

Additional background: avian influenza is caused by an influenza type A virus which can infect poultry (such as chickens, turkeys, pheasants, quail, domestic ducks, geese and guinea fowl) and is carried by free flying waterfowl such as ducks, geese and shorebirds. AI viruses are classified by a combination of two groups of proteins: hemagglutinin or “H” proteins, of which there are 16 (H1–H16), and neuraminidase or “N” proteins, of which there are 9 (N1–N9). Many different combinations of “H” and “N” proteins are possible. Each combination is considered a different subtype, and can be further broken down into different strains. AI viruses are further classified by their pathogenicity (low or high) — the ability of a particular virus strain to produce disease in domestic poultry.

http://www.poultrytimes.com/poultry_today/article_535e9a3e-7aa0-11ea-bd5e-1f7258e627c1.html

Everything Zen

Now we gotta to keep our eye on South Carolina too.

USDA confirms H7N3 avian influenza in a S.C. commercial turkey flock

WASHINGTON — The USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has confirmed the presence of highly pathogenic H7N3 avian influenza (HPAI) in a commercial turkey flock in Chesterfield County, South Carolina.

This is the first confirmed case of HPAI in commercial poultry in the United States since 2017. It appears this HPAI strain mutated from a low pathogenic strain that has been found in poultry in that area recently.

No human cases of this H7N3 avian influenza virus have been detected and there is no immediate public health concern. As a reminder, the proper handling and cooking of poultry and eggs to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F kills bacteria and viruses.

Samples from the affected flock, which experienced increased mortality, were tested at the Clemson Veterinary Diagnostic Center, part of the National Animal Laboratory Network, and confirmed at the APHIS National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL) in Ames, Iowa.

Virus isolation is ongoing. APHIS is working closely with the South Carolina State Veterinarian’s Office, part of Clemson University, on a joint incident response. State officials quarantined the affected premises, and birds on the property were depopulated to prevent the spread of the disease. Birds from the flock will not enter the food system. As part of existing avian influenza response plans, federal and state partners are working jointly on additional surveillance and testing in the nearby area. The United States has the strongest AI surveillance program in the world, and USDA is working with its partners to actively look for the disease in commercial poultry operations, live bird markets and in migratory wild bird populations.

USDA will report this finding to the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) as well as international trading partners. USDA also continues to communicate with trading partners to encourage adherence to OIE standards and minimize trade impacts. OIE trade guidelines call on countries to base trade restrictions on sound science and, whenever possible, limit restrictions to those animals and animal products within a defined region that pose a risk of spreading disease of concern.

All bird owners, whether commercial producers or backyard enthusiasts, should continue to practice good biosecurity, prevent contact between their birds and wild birds, and report sick birds or unusual bird deaths to state/federal officials, either through their state veterinarian or through USDA’s toll-free number at 866-536-7593.

Additional information on biosecurity for can be found at www.aphis.usda.gov/animalhealth/defendtheflock.

Additional background: avian influenza is caused by an influenza type A virus which can infect poultry (such as chickens, turkeys, pheasants, quail, domestic ducks, geese and guinea fowl) and is carried by free flying waterfowl such as ducks, geese and shorebirds. AI viruses are classified by a combination of two groups of proteins: hemagglutinin or “H” proteins, of which there are 16 (H1–H16), and neuraminidase or “N” proteins, of which there are 9 (N1–N9). Many different combinations of “H” and “N” proteins are possible. Each combination is considered a different subtype, and can be further broken down into different strains. AI viruses are further classified by their pathogenicity (low or high) — the ability of a particular virus strain to produce disease in domestic poultry.

http://www.poultrytimes.com/poultry_today/article_535e9a3e-7aa0-11ea-bd5e-1f7258e627c1.html

I’m trying to reevaluate my diet a look at more vegetarian/vegan options. I love Beyond and Impossible burgers but really haven’t found a decent chicken substitute but humans in general need to stop consuming so much meat

OhTall1

I thought I had enough but I have multiple people in my household and no one wants to use the bidet.

I know I am not the only one. We are down to our last seven rolls, and am getting worried. I literally have searched in person and online.
Are you near a Lidl? I can't speak from personal experience, but someone said their mobile app will tell you what's in stock at your local stores.

scoobygirl

This site was given by a newspaper as a backup resort if the usual places aren’t stocked, https://totalrestroom.com/collections/bulk-toilet-paper-public-bathroom

They sale mainly to businesses so the order sizes are large, and brands maybe generic.

I got my last big supply from Costco. They have been getting shipments in early morning, during the weekday. Other than that it just appears sporadically on the shelves at other stores. If possible the best times to find TP are Mon-Thurs early morning and after lunch but before workday ends.

Everything Zen

I was just able to put a purchase in my basket for Angel Soft with Amazon Fresh (not pantry).

brg240

I’m trying to reevaluate my diet a look at more vegetarian/vegan options. I love Beyond and Impossible burgers but really haven’t found a decent chicken substitute but humans in general need to stop consuming so much meat
I thought Quorn chicken nuggets/patties are decent. Maybe try making seitan chicken flavored? I think homemade seitan >>> most products i tried. I don't really eat meat alternatives though.

I need to reduce my meat consumption too. I was doing well but kinda fell off.

vevster

Thanks @vevster! :bighug:
How are you and your family doing? Hanging in I hope.
I also found out earlier today that my uncle that had his book published, lost his sister yesterday. The last time I saw her was a year and a half ago at a cookout at her house.
I'll find out more later on. It's all such a mess!
It’s unbelievable. My aunt is at the City Morgue because the funeral home is full.

Dellas

This site was given by a newspaper as a backup resort if the usual places aren’t stocked, https://totalrestroom.com/collections/bulk-toilet-paper-public-bathroom

They sale mainly to businesses so the order sizes are large, and brands maybe generic.

I got my last big supply from Costco. They have been getting shipments in early morning, during the weekday. Other than that it just appears sporadically on the shelves at other stores. If possible the best times to find TP are Mon-Thurs early morning and after lunch but before workday ends.
Thanks! I just found some on VitaCost.

meka72

I hope your cousin makes a full recovery and her husband and son don’t have it.

My friend’s uncle is in ICU and test positive for C19 and also has pneumonia. He was put on a ventilator 2 or 3 days ago and things seem to be looking up for him. He was moved from guarded to critical (I think that’s how it went) last night.