The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

I think your HR attorney may have misread, because what is printed here is the policy we have in NY - asymptomatic fully vaccinated close contacts (exposed) do not have to quarantine. An actual case with a positive test is something different. Is there a separate section for positive cases who are vaccinated? This is bothering me now; I am going to have to go look up California’s regulations. :lol:
The link is under the screenshot. Sorry typing with one hand. Peep the second to last line about covid cases/never symptoms.

Please don't quote my post is really personal. I will delete after the topic dies down a bit but keep it up while its still fresh.

I am not a fan of this vaccine mandate. DH and I put in a lot of safeguards to prevent putting ourselves and others in jeopardy.
  • In 2020 spring through fall if we needed to see family we did so through video conference and if we went to someone's house it would be socially distant where a household would have lawn chairs set up in their yard the other household would stay in the car and we would talk a bit to be near one another then leave without breaking the 6 feet.
  • I haven't been in a public building since March 2020
  • I haven't been in anyone's home but my own since March 2020
  • I haven't been to my job's physical location since February 2020
  • I haven't had so much as a stomach bug, allergies or a cough since Summer 2019
  • I am trying to think of any public place DH has gone to in this time and the only thing I that comes to mind is him being fully masked up to get the car(s) inspected to renew the tags last year
    • There were less than a handful of times in this window that he went out masked up to help his parents with an emergency and we even had a quarantine process for our house when he returned during that.
  • We really put in the work to be socially distant without being careless toward others who are out and about vaccinated or masked.
  • We have missed funerals, weddings, vacations the whole nine in the name of being careful.
  • Our gardening has been a new area of fun and connection for us while legitimate benefits to the house. Little one loves playing outside and identifying the plants.
  • I meet the requirements to be a credentialed teacher in most states(but I will admit I haven't taken a state test in some years. I know I still have it though). I have everything in order to homeschool my daughter based on my current states requirements

I am not a fan of this new mandate because what we have been consistently doing all this time has been working and now I have to modify it because a lot of people have a hard time knowing the difference between antivaxxers and those of us waiting for a good vaccine/lifestyle fit that is sustainable, stable and not constantly moving the goal post. I went ahead and used my tax advantaged account to buy some covid tests in bulk. Still not sure how long it will take Novvax to be available but I have been holding out on the J&J because of my medical history with Blood Clots/Migranes. I will not argue my stance on here or anything I am just adding a little peak on how my household has been living in this time. I am not one of these 'no jab or mask either' folk while living recklessly. My household has respirator masks in bulk even hazmat suits (not kidding) just in case. I have been grateful to God that in this time I had the privilege of not being around folks. I am okay with being inconvenienced this time. I just don't like it being handled this way. Never needing to be quarantined due to never being exposed and never needing a covid test due to being a half step from off grid to testing being a weekly requirement or vaccinated is a jump. Testing it is, for now. I can have it delivered to my job for courier I guess to prove I am not just using the same one, but I will see how my job applies this. I had really been following Novavax and will revisit JJ but my observations don't let me turn off my spidey senses. There being more effort on vaccines than treatments, personal responsibility and prevention from exposure (as opposed to limiting accountability after exposure) bothers me a lot and it's not because you are going to see me at the grocery store, gas station, your job, your social event or pulling up to your child's school with my kid....it's because what I have been doing has been not only working for my household but not inconveniencing anyone else.

Last edited:
When people weren’t getting vaccinated for MMR, there was a serious outbreak of the mumps. There were a lot of healthcare professionals that didn’t have the MMR or needed a booster. We cannot rely on herd immunity and this virus and it’s variants aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. People need to get vaccinated. My family just overcame a Covid scare. I can’t keep my older children under lock and key forever. I have one child at home, since he is too young to be vaccinated. This is nothing to play with. All of the mask wearing, hand washing, and vitamins will not be enough. Most doctors are saying eventually everyone will become infected. I personally know of 4 black female doctors that have made that claim. Get vaccinated, stay masked up, and practice social distancing.
It seems borderline sociopathic to not get the vaccine.

Public health recommendations and what is best for you personally aren’t necessarily the same thing. For example in the beginning of the pandemic they told us to leave the N95s masks for healthcare professionals. The doctors in my family told me to hold on to them and wear them if I have to be in public places. The vaccine mandates are what’s best for society as a whole.

If someone actually has a medical reason not to take the vaccine then their doctor can help them get around employer vaccine mandates. They aren’t forcing people who cannot tolerate a vaccine to be vaccinated.

P (Removed per request)
I agree, I wish more people were like you. Not enough people are taking this as seriously as you and here we are. Its unfair on both sides. Its unfair we even have to HAVE a mandate for those who generally don't want one. Its also unfair that people are being totally reckless, only to be sitting up in somebody hospital draining resources and time, and their last words are "I wish I would have been vaccinated or take it seriously." Meanwhile people like that done spread it to a hot dozen or more folk. Its all unfair and we didn't even have to get to this point. Blame politics on either side.
Public health recommendations and what is best for you personally aren’t necessarily the same thing. For example in the beginning of the pandemic they told us to leave the N95s masks for healthcare professionals. The doctors in my family told me to hold on to them and wear them if I have to be in public places. The vaccine mandates are what’s best for society as a whole.

If someone actually has a medical reason not to take the vaccine then their doctor can help them get around employer vaccine mandates. They aren’t forcing people who cannot tolerate a vaccine to be vaccinated.
Yep. we now live in a society where people think they know better than those who been studying it for years. Lord help us.

@Lylddlebit I wish more people were doing what your family is. Truth be heard, I wish I could do it too. The only thing I think that you mentioned that misses the mark is that the mandate isn't penalizing you because of not knowing the whose who and why of antivaxxers/vaccine hesitant. Your family is being penalized because the hospital system is at risk of breaking in so many places. I suspect if Delta had not hit and the hospitals had stayed functional as they were from April to June, there would be less pressure placed on the unvaxxed.

@Lylddlebit There are also many unvaccinated (non anti-vax) who have attempted to take all other precautions they can where they are able but they have to go out in public for employment or transportation. What's the solution to protect them?

Please pray for us. My 7 YO's PCR came back positive. They want us to lock her in a room so she doesn't expose her sister. She is okay. We don't know if she got it from her sister, her van driver....IDK. She hasn't been in school since the 3rd.
Just pray for us and my mental health.
I'm so tired.

ETA: Her dad took her. His PCR came back negative. He is vaccinated, as am I.

@Lylddlebit

:bighug:

Thank you for sharing your post. Trust me, you are not the only one doing such to protect you, your family and others. There are others, like you and your family, taking similar precautions and safety measures, but are not being acknowledged for their efforts in doing one's part in ending this pademic. There are those who believe that these efforts don't assist in ending the pandemic and I believe that it does. Even doctors and scientists have said that the M-RNAs alone, won't end the spread of covid. You and your family are doing a great job of doing your part in keeping yourself and others safe during this pandemic. Your efforts are to be commended.:flowers:

You are right...not everyone not wanting to take the M-RNA are anti-vaxers. They just do not want to take a M-RNA and are waiting for a good vaccine/lifestyle fit. Many who are not taking the M-RNA know their medical history and given the knowledge of potential adverse effects, elect to forgo
on the M-RNA. Although the risks, per CDC/FDA are small, they are still there, and I don't fault anyone who is worried that they might become a part of that small risk that hits home. I don't fault anyone who wants to wait it out for a vaccine (Novvax), all the while masking, socially distancing, staying home, missing large events, etc...

Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your truth as I know that it will help others who read it. Like you it bothers me that more efforts are being made on pushing the M-RNAs vs treatments, personal responsibilities and prevention from exposure.

You're right. You do not have to argue your stance. I, for one, believe everyone should be allowed to share their views/ perspective/truths without judgement. I appreciate your boldness to come forward and hope that you and your family remain safe and healthy during this pandemic.

Last edited:
@naturalgyrl5199
I pray for a speedy recovery and that she doesn’t experience any serious symptoms. I pray for strength and comfort for you and your husband and I pray the Lord provides a hedge of protection for your other child and that she remain negative as well. Please Lord let this pass swiftly with no harm done. I know how you feel when someone tells you that you need to isolate your child from everyone.. my heart is with you.

Soo what is special about the novavax vaccine?
This article explains the Novavax in some detail; apparently it is designed more like some of the more successful, recent vaccines, which makes it seem as if it will be more effective than traditional vaccines (AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson) but more reliable than the newer MRNA vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna).
The other thing, at least in the U.S., is that since there were already 3 vaccines available, it is going through a more normal approval process, so it won’t be getting Emergency Use Authorization, which might make some people find it more trustworthy.

But what really seems special about it is the buzz it has been getting on investment/stock blogs - that is actually where I have noticed the most hype about the Novavax.

Please pray for us. My 7 YO's PCR came back positive. They want us to lock her in a room so she doesn't expose her sister. She is okay. We don't know if she got it from her sister, her van driver....IDK. She hasn't been in school since the 3rd.
I'm so tired.

Oh noooo. :( Will definitely pray for you guys.

I'm so tired.

Me and the baby (3 YO) are negative.

@Lylddlebit

:bighug:

Thank you for sharing your post. Trust me, you are not the only one doing such to protect you, your family and others. There are others, like you and your family, taking similar precautions and safety measures, but are not being acknowledged for your efforts in doing your part in ending this pademic. There are those who believe that these efforts don't assist in ending the pandemic and I believe that it does. Even doctors and scientists have said that the M-RNAs alone, won't end the spread of covid. You and your family are doing a great job of doing your part in keeping yourself and others safe during this pandemic. Your efforts are to be commended.:flowers:

You are right...not everyone not wanting to take the M-RNA are anti-vaxers. They just do not want to take a M-RNA and are waiting for a good vaccine/lifestyle fit. Many who are not taking the M-RNA know their medical history and given the knowledge of potential adverse effects, elect to forgo
on the M-RNA. Although the risks, per CDC/FDA are small, they are still there, and I don't fault anyone who is worried that they might become a part of that small risk that hits home. I don't fault anyone who wants to wait it out for a vaccine (Novvax), all the while masking, socially distancing, staying home, missing large events, etc...

Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your truth as I know that it will help others who read it. Like you it bothers me that more efforts are being made on pushing the M-RNAs vs treatments, personal responsibilities and prevention from exposure.

You're right. You do not have to argue your stance. I, for one, believe everyone should be allowed to share their views/ perspective/truths without judgement. I appreciate your boldness to come forward and hope that you and your family remain safe and healthy during this pandemic.

I second the big :bighug: to @Lylddlebit but I disagree on the bolded parts of your statement. These actions ( @Lylddlebit precautions for the last 18 months) and are absolutely lauded (by certain people and made fun of as being sheep by others) - but not enough people nationwide can maintain that level of commitment, especially long-term to prevent the spread of COVID that is overwhelming hospital systems in some states. The problem is that governors of the 2nd and 3rd most populous states have made it impossible for cities to mandate mask-wearing and sometimes even on-line learning options and their definition of "personal responsibility" is not the same as yours. Even outside of COVID, is there evidence that it is easy to change personal behavior? Certainly not obesity rates - especially childhood obesity (which has sky rocketed during pandemic). So actually it DOES make sense to focus on the vaccine rather than the nebulous "enourage personal responsibility". Obesity, drug use, smoking, whatever bad habit etc wouldn't be a factor in society if it was easy to "encourage personal responsibility".

@Lylddlebit, I can definitely understand your frustation at what seems like punishment when you are doing more preventative action than 90% of the population. But instead of assuming the worst of the governmnent's motivation - look at it from the standpoint that there many differrent individual needs in the whole population and they are trying to protect the most. There are a large number of people who can't work from home and can't homeschool and can't avoid public spaces. And they may live in states where governors are NOT encouraging caution. You are viewing the governments action as someone who is extremely responsible and self aware. The government is looking at how the actions of the very selfish and unaware is disrupting society.

We're only in the second month of school!

Two weeks. It only took my school two weeks to have the first positive case.
If parents haven’t consented to the test, they have the option to have them tested elsewhere weekly, as long as they show proof. However, there’s no accountability. If the parents aren’t having them tested anywhere, there’s no follow-up, no one is asking them to uphold their end of the agreement they signed.
I got a message today from a friend that another elementary school in the city has 30 positive students and 1 positive adult.
And, @Crackers Phinn my school district is doing the same thing: a vaccinated adult, positive but asymptomatic does not have to quarantine.

My hospital falls in this category and announced today that because of it, vaccination is now mandatory. About 25% are not vaxxed.

On a tangent...
Yesterday I talked to one of my coworkers who confided that her cousin who is also her best friend has been in a hospital for 13 days due to Covid, healthy, no underlying conditions, 33 years old, and NOT vaccinated. (And neither is she. She said it's because she doesn't know the long-term effects of the vax.) She stated that he's on the waitlist to get xfrd to our hospital because he needs E-C-M-O. That's how she said it, stating each letter. That's how I knew she was unfamiliar with ECMO and how serious his condition has to be to require it since she didn't pronounce it the common way of ˈek-mō.

So that was yesterday around 1:00. Around 5:30 yesterday after work, she texted me that he died. Just completely devasting for her and a shock to my system to just hear of his existence a few hours earlier. I spent about an hour consoling her and suggested she not come to work today, which she didn't.

The email announcement of mandatory vax came today, so she'll see it Monday. I wonder how she'll feel about it. Ugh this has been a long week. :sad:

I second the big :bighug: to @Lylddlebit but I disagree on the bolded parts of your statement. These actions ( @Lylddlebit precautions for the last 18 months) and are absolutely lauded (by certain people and made fun of as being sheep by others) - but not enough people nationwide can maintain that level of commitment, especially long-term to prevent the spread of COVID that is overwhelming hospital systems in some states. The problem is that governors of the 2nd and 3rd most populous states have made it impossible for cities to mandate mask-wearing and sometimes even on-line learning options and their definition of "personal responsibility" is not the same as yours. Even outside of COVID, is there evidence that it is easy to change personal behavior? Certainly not obesity rates - especially childhood obesity (which has sky rocketed during pandemic). So actually it DOES make sense to focus on the vaccine rather than the nebulous "enourage personal responsibility". Obesity, drug use, smoking, whatever bad habit etc wouldn't be a factor in society if it was easy to "encourage personal responsibility".

@Lylddlebit, I can definitely understand your frustation at what seems like punishment when you are doing more preventative action than 90% of the population. But instead of assuming the worst of the governmnent's motivation - look at it from the standpoint that there many differrent individual needs in the whole population and they are trying to protect the most. There are a large number of people who can't work from home and can't homeschool and can't avoid public spaces. And they may live in states where governors are NOT encouraging caution. You are viewing the governments action as someone who is extremely responsible and self aware. The government is looking at how the actions of the very selfish and unaware is disrupting society.
I agree with the bolded. I'm probably near the top of the food chain when it comes to clowning the lunatic fringe and I agree that if there were enough people even attempting to do what @Lylddlebit and her family are doing I'd be their biggest cheerleaders. The toll that Covid is having on hospitals all over the world let alone just the U.S. dispels any argument that enough unvaccinated people are taking similar precautions to make a difference. Unfortunately, this means that the people who are doing things right get swept up into the problematic majority.

It bears repeating that the point of the vaccine is not and has never been to stop people from inhaling an airborne virus. That is the job of masks and distancing. The point of the vaccine is to keep as many people as possible who inhale the airborne virus from getting sick enough to need hospitalization.

Back