The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

BonBon

Anyone else feel like they are in a Final Destination movie :look:

The majority of my friends were covid aware, super careful and didn't get anything the whole time and are all catching their first case post April. Luckily all fine and experience it as a "bad cold" though my friends father caught it also and he ended up in hospital ( history of COPD). I know it's going to happen, just when I dunno, but these latest strains are something else.

PatDM'T

Anyone else feel like they are in a Final Destination movie :look:

The majority of my friends were covid aware, super careful and didn't get anything the whole time and are all catching their first case post April. Luckily all fine and experience it as a "bad cold" though my friends father caught it also and he ended up in hospital ( history of COPD). I know it's going to happen, just when I dunno, but these latest strains are something else.
Did they let
their guard down
due to Covid
fatigue or have
they continued
religiously masking,
social distancing,
washing hands...etc?
IOW, living like
we are still in
March/April 2020
when people took
Covid seriously.

The folks at
my job who
got sick had
joined the chorus
that Covid is over
and stopped following
all guidelines.

Last edited:

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
I know I feel like those of us who haven't caught it (yet?) are a shrinking minority. I dread catching it and am continuing to mask and distance (unless outdoors etc.), but am feeling pressure to get together with others who have moved on - not that they don't try to practice safe measures, but they seem to have spent less time reading about the possible long term health issues (and less time on the Herman Cain awards reddit) and are therefore less worried than I.

It's getting lonesome. :(

Kitamita

I know I feel like those of us who haven't caught it (yet?) are a shrinking minority. I dread catching it and am continuing to mask and distance (unless outdoors etc.), but am feeling pressure to get together with others who have moved on - not that they don't try to practice safe measures, but they seem to have spent less time reading about the possible long term health issues (and less time on the Herman Cain awards reddit) and are therefore less worried than I.

It's getting lonesome. :(
I am right there with you. We still mask and distance indoors and seem to be the only ones that do so when out. Very few still mask here in Southern CA. I just went to the 2:30 pm showing of Jurassic Park and we were the only ones to mask.

As an aside, my friend (flight attendant) just caught covid. She went back to work in April 2022 but she may have gotten a bit lax from her posts on social. media. Her new route is LA to Hawaii so she was enjoying herself. But now she has been down for 2 weeks, her sister decided to fly out a month earlier (from NC) to help her. She said she "can't get over the hump" one minute she thinks she's on the mend and the next she's wiped out. She lives alone so no one to assist plus her sister already had it so she felt ok coming out.

Suffice to say I am not trying to catch it, especially with the lingering effects of getting it. I will avoid it as much as possible.

BonBon

Did they let
their guard down
due to Covid
fatigue or have
they continued
religiously masking,
social distancing,
washing hands...etc?
IOW, living like
we are in
March/April 2020
when people took
Covid seriously.

The folks at
my job who
got sick had
joined the chorus
that Covid is over
and stopped following
all guidelines.
Nup.

One of them - both her parents had strokes during the pandemic and she cares her Mom is (near end of life dementia). She has been hardcore, but she contracted it taking her Mom to hospital. She was wearing N95 and staying safe in as much as she can control.

Another one got it at work. She stayed away from people and masked, but still caught it.

Another one can't pin it down it, but she was reliant on taking the bus a few times that week (masked and didn't sit next to anyone). She wears the cloth mask.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
My brother-in-law didn't take the vaccine though he has a bad heart condition.

To me, the decision was unwise.

Anyhoo, his whole household caught COVID and suffered a moderate bout with the disease.
Fast-forward a few months later, and today he's in the hospital and will be there until a heart becomes available for a transplant.
That will be a long time.

I am convinced that his condition deteriorated quickly due to him catching COVID. Sigh...
Our family was baffled by their decision, but you can't tell grown folks how to live.
I know they'll never tell me, but I'd bet he regrets that decision. He's scared as hell, and I don't blame him.

PatDM'T

Unlike most vaccinated
people, my friend
who is vaccinated
and caught Covid
and has had
it really bad.
Today makes
Day 11.

He thought he
was getting better
after 5 days
then took a turn
for the worse.

His doc called
in viral meds
for him and
then he went
mute which is
worrisome.
But I'm praying
that he is
just focusing on
getting better.

That makes 6
people close to
me who have
caught it in
the last 3
months or so.

Three vaccinated
three unvaccinated.
All but one have
had mild symptoms.
One vaccinated
and one not
think they may
have long haul
Covid because
they stay feeling
under the weather.
One (unvaccinated)
has been having
the same headaches
he had when
he had Covid
but none of
the other symptoms.
The other (vaccinated)
feels like she has
flu all the time
and has had
to miss work
a couple of times
although she says
it is not
as bad as
when she had Covid.
Both of them
keep testing negative
even with the
haunting symptoms.

There is no telling
what Covid will do.
It does not
seem to care
whether you're
vaccinated or not.

The conventional wisdom
that being vaccinated
means mild symptoms
clearly does not
apply to all
for if it did, my
friend would be
back to normal
like everyone else. :cry:

yamilee21

Did they let
their guard down
due to Covid
fatigue or have
they continued
religiously masking,
social distancing,
washing hands...etc?
It almost doesn’t matter what precautions you take, if no one else around you is taking them. We got it because most of the staff and students at my son’s school stopped wearing masks AND were not testing. My son continued to double-mask consistently everywhere, except for 5-10 minutes at lunch gulping down his food as fast as possible. But with multiple daily exposures - he was coming home with school-issued test kits every day - it was unavoidable. And many of his fellow students would simply toss the test kits, instead of testing after being notified of exposure.

Everything Zen

It’s interesting because I feel out of order not masking outside when I’m socially distanced. Here in Chicago you see a mix of people outdoors and masked and I think that’s a good thing so even though I barely leave the house I wonder if I need to level back up to the 2020 pre-vaccination days. Perhaps that’s what I need to do to feel more comfortable with the whole situation rather than remain indoors and continue to let my mental and physical health suffer.

Lylddlebit

Weather? Ok. So planes can't fly when it's too hot? What do they mean by air traffic control?

It's almost like asking someone why they didn't do something and they respond with "Reasons".

Just say it's COVID.

Planes fly in the stratosphere. COVID is part of the issue but there a bunch of other issues going on in the world in addition to COVID. There are a lot of atmospheric and Celestial events occurring right now. They just get glossed over in the news and most people don't have the geek in me to really follow all the implications of it. They just think the moon has another special name this week,a meteor shower, a heatwave, yeah the space force was a waste of money, Russia's oil outside of the context of many other oils sources, people suddenly going to space like excursion makes them want to go to, and some believe the only reason flights are grounded is due to COVID. :look: Ummm yeah. It's a whole lot going on besides covid people just focus on what they want to do though. Just take note of what you see ...there is a lot to see right now...even from the crib and on the ground.

Last edited:

BrownBetty

So many people I know have caught covid for the first time in the last 6 weeks, 10 - 12 people. A lot of them let their guard down or attended an event then caught it.

I was on the phone with a friend, they were having coughing fits in the airport. I told them to get tested once they landed. They were on vacation with a large group.

I saw them on ig at a family event indoors maskless. I messaged them and asked if they got tested, "I'm fine and no." I told them they were irresponsible. People don't care anymore.

Last edited:

snoop

I'm finding that quite a number of people that I know have gotten sick in the last 3 to 4 months. The first round was in March just before our March Break for the schools and the second round was a couple of weeks ago to now.

What I'm finding, though, is that most are testing negative. Fevers, heavy coughs, fatigue. A lot of children. But the problem is that everyone's tests are coming back negative. These new variants aren't being picked up by rapid tests and sometimes not by PCR as well.

yamilee21

But the problem is that everyone's tests are coming back negative. These new variants aren't being picked up by rapid tests and sometimes not by PCR as well.
This has been a problem since Omicron first appeared in the U.S. last November. The antigen tests need to be redesigned, and the PCR tests probably need to be tweaked as well. But there is no longer any money for that, because a bunch of politicians truly believe that Covid will go away if we pretend it is over.

An early PCR test used to be able to catch Covid before symptoms started, the two days before the onset of symptoms. When my family recently had Covid, the PCR tests were negative during the infectious, pre-symptomatic (or ambiguous symptoms) days. The antigen tests weren’t positive until the second day of obvious symptoms.

sunshinebeautiful

I've definitely heard of an uptick of folks catching covid around me. Our county was just moved again from moderate to high levels of community transmission.

Dang. I posted this last Wednesday.... and by Saturday I tested positive for covid. This is my second go-round. First time was in February 2021. I (thankfully) have less severe symptoms this time around and no fever. I felt like a wreck over the weekend and today (Tuesday) I feel like I'm rounding the corner into feeling better again.

I'm pretty sure I caught it from work. They're doing more social events in the office again.

dancinstallion

Fauci says he's taking 2nd course of Paxlovid after experiencing rebound with the antiviral treatment

"After testing positive for COVID-19 earlier this month, Dr. Anthony Fauci said Tuesday that he has joined a growing group of people experiencing a Paxlovid rebound, following treatment with Pfizer's antiviral.

Fauci, 81, said that when he first tested positive two weeks ago, he had very minimal symptoms. However, when he began to feel worse, "given [his] age," he was prescribed Paxlovid.

Other than fatigue and a bit of congestion, Fauci reported that he felt "really quite well," and after his five-day course of Paxlovid, he tested negative with a rapid test.
However, after testing negative for three consecutive days, Fauci said he decided to take one more test out of precaution and subsequently found himself positive again on the fourth day.
Over the course of the next day, he began to feel "really poorly," and "much worse than in the first go around," he added.
I am on my fourth day of a five-day course of my second course of Paxlovid. And fortunately, I feel reasonably good. I mean, I'm not complete[ly] without symptoms, but I certainly don't feel acutely ill," Fauci said.

Evolving78

A supreme court justice.

Just slingshot me to the moon. To heaven.

I truly believe the rapture has occurred and we are just stuck here.
Girl he just sitting there in that picture with his smug Uncle Rukus looking self.. A black man willing to sell his soul to burn this country down.. Is this what progress looks like? Sitting on the highest court of this land and this is where we are at…

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation

I saw another post by an MD who had COVID (twice I believe) who checked checked her T cell (a type of white blood cells in charge in fighting infection) levels and it was low. Low T cell levels is part of the diagnosis of HIV. Not to say she has HIV but the fact that COVID may affect/decrease T cell levels and make one more prone to opportunistic diseases by lowering your immunity.

I’ll see if I can find that tweet.

Lylddlebit

I saw another post by an MD who had COVID (twice I believe) who checked checked her T cell (a type of white blood cells in charge in fighting infection) levels and it was low. Low T cell levels is part of the diagnosis of HIV. Not to say she has HIV but the fact that COVID may affect/decrease T cell levels and make one more prone to opportunistic diseases by lowering your immunity.

I wonder if the "on thing in common" is Covid itself or the Covid therapeutics that are specifically associated with and derived from treating HIV

Evolving78

I’m not understanding what he is applying. Shingles is contagious and he said 4 family friends (not random individuals) contracted the virus. What is he getting at? They might have other incurable viruses going on that are dormant or active to make them more susceptible. Help me understand please?