The Covid-19 Thread: News, Preparation Tips, Etc

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I'm convinced that the problem is that the symptoms of this disease aren't jarring enough to convince people that this is truly life threatening. Now if the symptoms involved folks bleeding from their eyes and coughing up blood, there would be tumbleweeds rolling in the streets.

Yup! Remember the images and the fear when the Ebola virus emerged? People were freaked out! The Corona would have been on the downward curve in January.

Ganjababy

I also feel that the distrust that our people have of the scientific community is not helping. That is why I hate unethical scientist like those 2 French doctors. They do so much damage to our communities in the diaspora. I am seriously thinking of starting a petition to have their medical licenses revoked. Not sure how successful that would be as I am not in France. But I think I will look into it. Or if someone already started one please share the link.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I'm here in France and there are issues here, too. Countries in continental Europe don't discuss their issues and missteps openly. Add to the fact that many of these countries speak their native language, which may not be English, and thus their information may be more difficult to access. Because of the admiration there is for the US and because our language is English, it is much easier for the US to be scrutinized and criticized.

The difference is that the US shows it issues and openly discusses them, for better or for worse. I may not like everything that is being said and done in the US, but I prefer this openness. It creates more complexity but at least we have an idea of where people stand, whether one may agree with their stance or not.

I too may lose loved ones in the US.

Yet, as a whole, I see a light at the end of the tunnel for our beloved country.

@Chicoro Hi! Where in France do you live? My manager is French and was raised in a town about an hour and a half drive from Barcelona). Many of my co-workers who work in Geneva, live in France on the Swiss-French border. I have a friend who is a Parisian who lives here now but still keeps an apartment in Paris.

I hope you don't lose anyone; I hope no one of us does. I've been WFH since March 13 when my company made it mandatory, and have only gone to the store/pharmacy twice. I just feel bad for those who are not heeding the warnings and continue to party like it's 1999.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
@Chicoro Hi! Where in France do you live? My manager is French and was raised in a town about an hour and a half drive from Barcelona). Many of my co-workers who work in Geneva, live in France on the Swiss-French border. I have a friend who is a Parisian who lives here now but still keeps an apartment in Paris.

I hope you don't lose anyone; I hope no one of us does. I've been WFH since March 13 when my company made it mandatory, and have only gone to the store/pharmacy twice. I just feel bad for those who are not heeding the warnings and continue to party like it's 1999.

@january noir ,
Thanks for asking. I am in Lyon. It is halfway between Paris and Marseilles. Yes, Swiss high paycheck money and French lower prices for housing are a great combination. Your co-workers are smart. You know what they say, "Birds of a feather flock together". I hope us and ours stay safe, too.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
@january noir ,
Thanks for asking. I am in Lyon. It is halfway between Paris and Marseilles. Yes, Swiss high paycheck money and French lower prices for housing are a great combination. Your co-workers are smart. You know what they say, "Birds of a feather flock together". I hope us and ours stay safe, too.
Stay safe, my sister, and thanks :bighug: for sharing all the knowledge!
:circle:

cutiepiebabygirl

The media loves to show religious fanatics.

With that being said, the Bible says "My people perish for their lack of knowledge."

Also, "Faith without works is dead."

I'm Christian and I believe I am covered by the Blood of Jesus, but Jesus said Himself, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test."

Jesus wants us to trust Him, but we must exercise common sense and judgement.

You wouldn't jump off a cliff and scream I'm covered by the Blood, but this is what they're doing.

God please send discernment.

Last edited:

OhTall1

I'm convinced that the problem is that the symptoms of this disease aren't jarring enough to convince people that this is truly life threatening. Now if the symptoms involved folks bleeding from their eyes and coughing up blood, there would be tumbleweeds rolling in the streets.
You're right. Plus the government spent too much time ignoring this and downplaying it. One of the comments in that tweet you posted said that if this has been compared to SARS instead of a bad flu, then maybe it would've been taken more seriously.

nycutiepie

A few years ago, my company (Novartis Pharma) distributed each employee a box of 3M N95 respirator masks and boxes of gloves during a possible coming pandemic that, thankfully, never materialized.

I used up all the gloves over the years using them with my henna and indigo treatments but forgot all about the masks! I found the box on a shelf in my laundry room when tidying up a few weeks back. Thank God! Since finding them, I use one every time I go out to buy groceries and supplies. For a while, I was one of the few people wearing a mask when out and about until recently. I even made a few "kits" with each kit containing a mask and gloves in a Ziploc bag. I keep them in my car for "just in case."

When I went to BJs last week, the cashier wasn't wearing a mask. She asked me where I got mine and that she couldn't find any. After I checked out, I went to my car to get one of the kits and gave it to her. She was very grateful.

I had to get used to wearing the mask because the strap made me develop a tension headache at first, but now I don't get one. I also recently purchased two face shields and several cute face masks that have filters but are not N95 compliant, just for style purposes that I can wear with the shields and/or goggles.
Where did you purchase the face shields?

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
Lol, yes I agree. I wasn't proposing the US should become Authoritarian. I am wondering with our freedom mindset along with the lack of effective leadership, the disparities in healthcare, inability to cooperate etc., will we be able to get this behind us before they find a cure?

Not looking for answers, just pondering.

Freedom has costs and benefits. During a pandemic yes an authoritarian government can freely and openly weld your doors shut, shoot you for coming out of the house and disappear you if you disobey orders and speak against them.

The downside to that is that at ANY time an authoritarian government can freely and openly weld your doors shut, shoot you for coming out of the house and disappear you if you disobey orders and speak against them.

A severe pandemic comes along every 50-100 years or so. You gotta live with that government all the time, and China shut down and disappeared the doctors for giving them bad news before they were forced to acknowledge that they had a problem.

Personally I am glad that Trump and anyone else in the future (I hope) doesn't have dictatorial powers. People in China can't even post pics of Winnie the Pooh because their dear leader is pissed at the comparisons of him to the bear. I don't want our president to be able to ban Saturday Night Live and imprison political cartoonists for making fun of him.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Where did you purchase the face shields?
Last week from a site advertised on Instagram, https://merrypearl.com.

I think you can find the shields easily now. Google it and I'm sure you can find them. Mine just shipped yesterday, so they won't be here for another week or so with the expected delay.
I just came back from my local grocery store (Stop & Shop) and all the workers were wearing face shields and masks and each checkout and service counter, had the plexiglass barriers installed. Finally...

shelli4018