The forgotten step in hair care...Nails

Qualitee

Ladies, please trim your nails. You might have a hang nail, split nail or sharp jagged nails that might do harm to your hair. If you run your fingers through you hair or doing daily maintenance to your hair, your strands might get caught in the broken nails causing splitting,breakage and just plain yanking it out:nono:. On top of that, its just no cute walking around with your nails looking like a HAM and you have beautiful hair. That is all.

This is such a good reminder...I was tearing up my hair with my nails, and never realized why I had mid-shaft splits everywhere until I was crocheting and messed up the yarn with one of my many tore the hell up nails.

Now I check for cracks and splits before I start wash day, and if I see any, I file them down. It really makes a difference. :yep:

I agree. I need to step it up on this. I like to keep my nails short because of this. It really does cause damage if you don't trim or file them.

I've been on it...after starting my hair journey and getting about 6 mo. or more in and realizing the tackiness of not (& not to mention of course the benefits of doing it).

Ladies, please trim your nails. You might have a hang nail, split nail or sharp jagged nails that might do harm to your hair. If you run your fingers through you hair or doing daily maintenance to your hair, your strands might get caught in the broken nails causing splitting,breakage and just plain yanking it out:nono:. On top of that, its just no cute walking around with your nails looking like a HAM and you have beautiful hair. That is all.

Agree! Great post! I'm amazed when I see how some ladies don't pay any attention to their nails. Nails must always be well maintained just like hair and skin.

Oh, this is an excellent point!!!!

I carry a nail file with me everywhere I go. I've trained myself that as SOON as I feel my nail catch on something - hair, sweater, sock, whatever! - I stop what I am doing and go and file it down. Over the long run, I seem to actually 'keep' more nail now, and of course, I don't snag my hair - the edges of nails can be sharp!!

:giggle: Interesting thread OP. I love my nails and I cannot stand a split/tear on them. I carry a whole nail kit in my bag, coz God forbid I should feel a chip, usually when it rubs against my clothes...I start to get the shakes until that's fixed. It's almost obsessive coz I will pull out my file even at a meeting coz I cannot STAND nails that don't have smooth edges. So trust me, if I have a split in my nail, I feel it and fix it before it has time to cause any damage to my hair. I don't even stop at the smoothest nail file I can find; I use the buffer to smooth out my edges before I buff the bed. My name is Nonie and I'm a Nail Fanatic--but a cheap one coz my polish collection fades miserably in the light of the other Fanatics.

This thread is so ON POINT!!! I seriously can attribute most of my midshaft splits to jacked up nails. :nono: Must.Do.Better.

So true...... I also take my rings off especially when washing my hair. They tend to get caught in my hair

I was gonna post the same thing, I noticed my nails were raggedy and I had to stop washing my hair and just sort out my nails before getting back to the shampoo.

I just keep my nails short. I cut them every few weeks because they grow too fast. I have accidentally pulled out hair due to chipped nails.

I keep my nails short since I'm teaching myself how to play guitar. They have to stay short on the fret hand and I'd look stoopid if the nails on my other hand were long :lol: Never been one to wear fake nails or put on any polish, so I get off easy there. As long as they're clean and even, I don't think about them.

Now, my cuticles? They don't look so hot :nono:

Great post. I always do a nail check before doing my hair and before putting on stockings or knee highs too!

Yes, I used to stay on top of this but lately have not. The worst possible thing you can do in this regard to take down braids with raggedy nails! :crying3: :nono: Your hair will pay the price.

Back