The Great Debate: Genes and Hair Growth

Belle Du Jour

FlowerHair said:
I believe you can have the best genes in the world, but without proper care your hair will not grow to terminal length - no matter what race you are.

And I don't believe that other races use as many chemicals & blowdryers etc as we do...at least not the people I know. Not to the same extent anyway.

Just leave your hair alone and it will grow! :) I'm living proof. My hair has never been as long as it is now because I have never taken such good care of it for this long. If only I had made the effort to stop abusing my hair earlier in life!

FlowerHair,

If I can just have a fraction of your hair! Your comments (in bold) are encouraging.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Porsche19 said:
There is a point in which your hair won't get any longer though. It's when the amount your hair grows and the rate that it sheds reaches an eqilibrium. Your hair won't grow any longer because the hairs that reach a certain length shed.

Say that someone's hair sheds every 3 years. They can grow 8 inches in a year (amazing growth btw :)) So at 24 inches, their hair sheds and grows a new hair. Around 24 inches is the longest that any hair on their head is going to grow.

Of course, your hair is going to keep growing after because every hair on your head is not in the same stage, but they are still programed to shed at 3 years.
Thanks for explaining! So when someone says your hair is programmed to grow a certain length... it means when it grows that length, it sheds and falls out while new hairs are growing in???

So for those that relax their hair, what if those hairs that stop growing and don't shed in time before applying a relaxer??? Even though you have new growth, wouldn't you be overlapping on the hairs that have stopped growing??? :confused:

Keen

Poohbear said:
I don't get this "programmed to grow" concept...

For ladies (especially relaxed ladies)... if your hair is programmed to grow a certain length, wouldn't it stop growing???

When you see new growth, don't you still apply relaxers?

It may seem like your hair is staying the same length but don't you think that's from your hair not retaining length (breaking off)???

It does not stop growing, it sheds. How often your hair sheds (life cycle of a hair) depends on your diet and genes. However your diet can only extend your hair life cycle so long.... I think when she said "program" she was referring to growth rate

Keen

Porsche19 said:
I think that a good part of hair length and growth rate does depend on genes, but not on race!

A black person can have the same terminal length and growth rate as an Asian person... just different types of hair.

Porsche if hair lenght and growth rate does not depend on race, then how do you explain all caucasiana, Asians, Indians having the ability to grow hair to their butt in a few years but black people in the african continent who does not have any heredity of other race to have tight coily hair that grows like snails?

Poohbear

Keen said:
Porsche if hair lenght and growth rate does not depend on race, then how do you explain all caucasiana, Asians, Indians having the ability to grow hair to their butt in a few years but black people in the african continent who does not have any heredity of other race to have tight coily hair that grows like snails?
The growth rate of your hair (how fast it grows) depends on genes...not race. Harigeek gave a good experience when she was younger of how her sister would have enough natural hair for pony tails and her head was covered with beady bees. They are within the same race, yet different growth rates because of their genetic makeup.

Keen

Poohbear said:
The growth rate of your hair (how fast it grows) depends on genes...not race. Harigeek gave a good experience when she was younger of how her sister would have enough natural hair for pony tails and her head was covered with beady bees. They are within the same race, yet different growth rates because of their genetic makeup.

I'm not saying that everyone within a race's hair grow at the same rate. The rate rate does vary from person to person but if you look at the average growth rate within a race it differs. I'm guestimating her: Black people (not including those of mix race because that would through off the average) can have average growth rate of 1/4 inch a month where as caucasians can have average growth rate of 1 inch a month. Hence is the reason that white people are able to grow longer hair in a shorter period of time then black people. Would you not agree that white people can grow hair longer faster than black people? If your answer is yes then how do you explain that if that is not genetic based on race.

Poohbear

Keen said:
I'm not saying that everyone within a race's hair grow at the same rate. The rate rate does vary from person to person but if you look at the average growth rate within a race it differs. I'm guestimating her: Black people (not including those of mix race because that would through off the average) can have average growth rate of 1/4 inch a month where as caucasians can have average growth rate of 1 inch a month. Hence is the reason that white people are able to grow longer hair in a shorter period of time then black people. Would you not agree that white people can grow hair longer faster than black people? If your answer is yes then how do you explain that if that is not genetic based on race.
No I would not agree that whites grow hair longer and faster than blacks. It's genetically based.

We've just always BEEN TOLD that whites grow hair faster than blacks. I'm sure there are some blacks can grow hair longer than some whites (whether they are mixed or NOT...but I believe everyone is mixed; that's a different thread :grin: ). I've been around mostly whites all my life and I've heard them complain about their hair doesn't grow fast and I've heard them complain about their hair not growing as fast as another white person. Black people do the same thing as far as comparing how fast our hair grows with another black person. :yep:

Keen

Poohbear said:
No I would not agree that whites grow hair longer and faster than blacks. It's genetically based.

We've just always BEEN TOLD that whites grow hair faster than blacks. I'm sure there are some blacks can grow hair longer than some whites (whether they are mixed or NOT...but I believe everyone is mixed; that's a different thread :grin: ). I've been around mostly whites all my life and I've heard them complain about their hair doesn't grow fast and I've heard them complain about their hair not growing as fast as another white person. Black people do the same thing as far as comparing how fast our hair grows with another black person. :yep:

Poohbear I don't mean to be disrespectful but I don't think you understand how genetic makeup and race affect physical characteristics. To me, saying that race has nothing to do with how fast our hair grows is like saying race has nothing to do with our skin color. I would suggest you review the website senimoni posted to understand how genes effect hair. However, I consider myself to be an open minded. If you can convince me that race has nothing to do with hair growth, I'm game.

Keen

senimoni said:
So how do you explain those with dreads (ie protected hair) that grows down their back.

When people have dreads, the hair still shed but does not fall off because the hair is not comb. It is all matted together. So if the hair is matted is is not falling off which makes the hair lenght appears to be from scalp to back but in reality it is isn't. The matting is keeping it toghether.

Poohbear

Keen said:
Poohbear I don't mean to be disrespectful but I don't think you understand how genetic makeup and race affect physical characteristics. To me, saying that race has nothing to do with how fast our hair grows is like saying race has nothing to do with our skin color. I would suggest you review the website senimoni posted to understand how genes effect hair. However, I consider myself to be an open minded. If you can convince me that race has nothing to do with hair growth, I'm game.
No, I don't find it disrespectful what you said because I have taken biology classes and done pass research on my own, and I do understand genetic makeup and how physical characteristics affect people (not how race affects physical characteristics). ;)

Race is just a classification based on common traits among a group of people. For example, Negroid (Black) race usually has dark skin, coarse curly hair, wide nose, big lips. Caucasian (White) race usually has light skin, fine straight hair, narrow nose, thin lips. This is not true for every black person considered black and every white person considered white. Have you seen black people with narrow noses, light skin, and thin lips? Have you seen white people with coarse hair and big lips? That's what I'm talking about when I said how fast our hair grows is not based on our race.

So, A black person can have the fast hair growing gene just like a white person can have the fast hair growing gene. That's all I'm saying.

Stormy

BrwnSugaBabee said:
ok I hope i do not get in trouble for saying this. But I totally believe genetics play a huge role in determining hair length. Not everybody is going to be able to get waist length hair no matter how great you take care of it. I do believe though, that our hair may have potential to reach lengths we never thought were possible because we did not know how to properly care for it. You can not deny that genetics plays a part in hair growth and retention as well as fullness. but I believe that healthy hair is acheivable by everybody.

I agree BrwnSuga!

Poohbear

Keen said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by senimoni
So how do you explain those with dreads (ie protected hair) that grows down their back.

When people have dreads, the hair still shed but does not fall off because the hair is not comb. It is all matted together. So if the hair is matted is is not falling off which makes the hair lenght appears to be from scalp to back but in reality it is isn't. The matting is keeping it toghether.
So are you saying if someone went up and pulled/tugged on someone's dreads that they would fall out??? I don't think so. One day last month, I saw a black man walking down the street with dreads that touched his bottom. I was amazed! I know black people can grow hair own their own and that black people can be born with the fast hair growing genes too!!! Look at some of the ladies on this forum!!!

Keen

Poohbear said:
So are you saying if someone went up and pulled/tugged on someone's dreads that they would fall out??? I don't think so. One day last month, I saw a black man walking down the street with dreads that touched his bottom. I was amazed! I know black people can grow hair own their own and that black people can be born with the fast hair growing genes too!!! Look at some of the ladies on this forum!!!

No it will not come off because it is all matted together from roots to end. No doubt some ladies in this forum have long hair but my point is it takes them longer to grow that hair then it would have taken a white person because of their african heritage.

Keen

Poohbear said:
No, I don't find it disrespectful what you said because I have taken biology classes and done pass research on my own, and I do understand genetic makeup and how physical characteristics affect people (not how race affects physical characteristics). ;)

Race is just a classification based on common traits among a group of people. For example, Negroid (Black) race usually has dark skin, coarse curly hair, wide nose, big lips. Caucasian (White) race usually has light skin, fine straight hair, narrow nose, thin lips. This is not true for every black person considered black and every white person considered white. Have you seen black people with narrow noses, light skin, and thin lips? Have you seen white people with coarse hair and big lips? That's what I'm talking about when I said how fast our hair grows is not based on our race.

So, A black person can have the fast hair growing gene just like a white person can have the fast hair growing gene. That's all I'm saying.

You just said that our race determine our hair type if I read correctly. When you said hair type I'm assuming you are reffering to hair texture. From my observations, people of the same hair texture tend to have similar average growth rate. which still leads me to believe that rate is a determinat of growth rate.

senimoni

Just thought I would throw this tidbit out there. There is more genetic differences WITHIN the Black race, than there is between the different races.

Poohbear

Keen said:
You just said that our race determine our hair type if I read correctly. When you said hair type I'm assuming you are reffering to hair texture. From my observations, people of the same hair texture tend to have similar average growth rate. which still leads me to believe that race is a determinat of growth rate.
Sorry but where did you get that conclusion from what I just said??? :confused: I never said anything about hair type or hair texture...

Genetics determine our hair growth rate and race.

Genetics is not race.

Poohbear

Also, I could have the same hair texture/type as someone on this board and their hair would probably STILL grow faster than mine because their genes are different. We may be of the SAME race but have DIFFERENT hair genes!!! That's the point I'm making!!! ;)

Poohbear

senimoni said:
Just thought I would throw this tidbit out there. There is more genetic differences WITHIN the Black race, than there is between the different races.
Yes yes yes! This is part of my point as well!!! :yep:

Healthb4Length

In beauty school we learn that hair is hair regardless of one's racial background. I agree that genetics is NOT race...I did the research and this is just not so. The average growth rate for a majority of people is 1/2 inch a month. The reason why it seems as if those with a straighter or looser curl pattern grows faster is because with a straighter or looser curl pattern the oil is able to travel down the shaft of the hair easier. Kinky or coily hair does grow but because of the bends/twists/and turns the natural oil or sebum has a difficult time traveling down the hair shaft. It is because of lack of knowledge or ignorance why one would believe that kinky/coily type hair (natural or not) 'don't grow as long as white hair'. For years others (Asians and Whites) have tried to understand 'our' hair type...the only conclusion that they came up with was not to wash it too often or it will dry out and to put loads of grease on it to give it moisture...we all know what that did to our hair...since we have decided to empower ourselves we {on this board} are proving the haters and naysayers all the time...don't fall for the hype that blacks can't grow long luxurious hair cause we can (regardless of texture). I don't remember who but someone posted that African's (not all) you don't usually see them with long hair, I say to that...what kind of Africans do they portray in the media? Usually the poor, the ignorant or nomads...I can't say that I know everything about African politics (I digress a little) but for the most part some Africans and African countries are in war or famine etc so I think that the health of their hair is the LAST thing on their minds. My point is don't fall for the hype, look to the ladies here for inspiration and you (those who don't believe our hair can be ultra long) will prove the haters and yourself wrong! Thanks for letting me vent:look: .

Check out these ladies for inspiration
www.growafrohairlong.com
www.hairobicsallnatural.com

Poohbear

Keen said:
No it will not come off because it is all matted together from roots to end. No doubt some ladies in this forum have long hair but my point is it takes them longer to grow that hair then it would have taken a white person because of their african heritage.
I see your point but you can't really say this about EVERY black person of African heritage and EVERY white person. There are SOME white people whose hair takes a longer time to grow than someone on this board because of their genes. :yep:

Poohbear

Alli77 said:
In beauty school we learn that hair is hair regardless of one's racial background. I agree that genetics is NOT race...I did the research and this is just not so. The average growth rate for a majority of people is 1/2 inch a month. The reason why it seems as if those with a straighter or looser curl pattern grows faster is because with a straighter or looser curl pattern the oil is able to travel down the shaft of the hair easier. Kinky or coily hair does grow but because of the bends/twists/and turns the natural oil or sebum has a difficult time traveling down the hair shaft. It is because of lack of knowledge or ignorance why one would believe that kinky/coily type hair (natural or not) 'don't grow as long as white hair'. For years others (Asians and Whites) have tried to understand 'our' hair type...the only conclusion that they came up with was not to wash it too often or it will dry out and to put loads of grease on it to give it moisture...we all know what that did to our hair...since we have decided to empower ourselves we {on this board} are proving the haters and naysayers all the time...don't fall for the hype that blacks can't grow long luxurious hair cause we can (regardless of texture). I don't remember who but someone posted that African's (not all) you don't usually see them with long hair, I say to that...what kind of Africans do they portray in the media? Usually the poor, the ignorant or nomads...I can't say that I know everything about African politics (I digress a little) but for the most part some Africans and African countries are in war or famine etc so I think that the health of their hair is the LAST thing on their minds. My point is don't fall for the hype, look to the ladies here for inspiration and you (those who don't believe our hair can be ultra long) will prove the haters and yourself wrong! Thanks for letting me vent:look: .

Check out these ladies for inspiration
www.growafrohairlong.com
www.hairobicsallnatural.com

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!!!

Another site for inspiration (our very own FOTMs): http://www.longhaircareforum.com/article.php?c=2 :grin:

kizzylonghair

Black hair has a lot of traits against it to get to great lengths
0 The curl pattern
0 The fact that most of us relax it
( Remember most white people have totally un-processed hair)
0 And more importantly our MIS-EDUCATION!!!!

We have to remember that WE are the generation that found 'THE TRUTH'
Our Afrian, Carribean elders did not know of these methods thats why we see this misconception that black people can not grow long hair.
Its up to us to pass down the information to daugthers, thier daugthers and thier daugthers. So in 50 years time long hair will be a common fixture on a black head ( I MEAN REAL HAIR, NOT FAKE)

Belle Du Jour

kizzylonghair said:
Black hair has a lot of traits against it to get to great lengths
0 The curl pattern
0 The fact that most of us relax it
( Remember most white people have totally un-processed hair)
0 And more importantly our MIS-EDUCATION!!!!

We have to remember that WE are the generation that found 'THE TRUTH'
Our Afrian, Carribean elders did not know of these methods thats why we see this misconception that black people can not grow long hair.
Its up to us to pass down the information to daugthers, thier daugthers and thier daugthers. So in 50 years time long hair will be a common fixture on a black head ( I MEAN REAL HAIR, NOT FAKE)

Well said! :up: