The Mini Twist / Mini Braid Thread

MzSwift

Washed with black soap. DC'd with heat, 30 mins under heat cap and then blowdried using my Ayurvedic hair oil mix and a little Infusium 23 (first time doing that and first time skipping heat protectant serum) using my off brand paddle brush blow dryer. Then installed my mini "twaids" :giggle: . It was so much faster installing them on blow dried hair! I can't believe it only took me about 5 hours! Usually I have to split it up into 2 days. I think that was my experience before but I forgot to log it. I'm probably gonna stick with this technique. Also, I was really happy to feel my braids on my shoulder blades again!!

I'm still on my personal HYH so I don't plan to wear these out often. They'll stay under a satin skull cap. I may even put a weaving cap on first.

I plan to only wash and DC them biweekly. I'm going to try not to manipulate the scalp very much to preserve them. I'm gonna wash with a weaving net on. I'm also gonna mix my scalp tonic with half water so that I can just squirt it on and press it into my scalp instead of rubbing it in with my fingertips. I hope these steps help me make it to 4-6 weeks before I have to refresh.

The only problem I see with this process is that they will look "scalpy" for a longer period. I usually wash often after I install them so that they get messy and look better when I wear them out.

Last edited:

snoop

Currently installing a new set of mini twists. I twist in front of the TV with no mirror. (No combs, just finger parts.) They feel so small, but when I run to check in the bathroom, they look like a good size. Hopefully, I can keep them in until the end of April.

snoop

When you guys are installing your twists, do you clip your hair as you go? I don't usually, but was considering getting either alligator clips or duck bill clips. I used to have a set of alligator clips back in the day but they broke and I never replaced them. Not sure if they would make my cottony hair more frizzy (because of the little teeth) or if they would be good for weighing my hair down as I move from section to section.

I usually start at the back and work my way to the front. I figure that I won't actually be done until late Friday or sometime on Saturday.

MzSwift

When you guys are installing your twists, do you clip your hair as you go? I don't usually, but was considering getting either alligator clips or duck bill clips. I used to have a set of alligator clips back in the day but they broke and I never replaced them. Not sure if they would make my cottony hair more frizzy (because of the little teeth) or if they would be good for weighing my hair down as I move from section to section.

I usually start at the back and work my way to the front. I figure that I won't actually be done until late Friday or sometime on Saturday.

I don't clip them but I do ponytail them bc I used to get my hair tangled in the clips with teeth or holes. I also ponytail/bun the portion that I'm not working with yet. I use small metal duckbill clips with no holes in them to pin the larger section of the part I'm working on. I hope that makes sense! lol :blush2:

These:
1707955649829.png

Last edited:

snoop

I don't clip them but I do ponytail them bc I used to get my hair tangled in the clips with teeth or holes. I also ponytail/bun the portion that I'm not working with yet. I use small metal duckbill clips with no holes in them to pin the larger section of the part I'm working on. I hope that makes sense! lol :blush2:

These:
View attachment 494349

Thanks! This makes a lot of sense and is exactly the information and tips that I was looking for.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Shampooed and DC'd last night in preparation for an install tonight. Still debating on twists vs braid but leaning towards the twist since they'll be faster to put in.
As expected, the mini twist install lasted about 4 washes before they started forming into locs. I converted them to medium cornrows and have been rocking a wig. Plan is to keep these in until Resurrection Sunday but I may push it out to my nappiversary on 4/15.

Last edited:

snoop

I finished installing a new set of mini twists. I feel like these are slightly smaller than the last set, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't start to loc.

They took a day and a half to install. I moved this Sunday's wash day to this past Wednesday so that I didn't have to wash them as soon as I was finished. This will give me a week and a half of wear before I immerse my head in water.

I'll update with pictures later.

MzSwift

As expected, the mini twist install lasted about 4 washes before they started forming into locs. I converted them to medium cornrows and have been rocking a wig. Plan is to keep these in until Resurrection Sunday but I may push it out to my nappiversary on 4/15.
When I first started doing minibraids, I was natural and that was why I chose to go with braids at the time instead of twists. I had read a lot of horror stories of women having involuntary locs from the twists. But the braids are more restrictive and the tension from the braid pattern seemed to help keep those ladies from loccing. Maybe you could try braids for the longer period installs?

So uhh, are you gonna post any Nappiversary pix in here? Just asking. :cool2:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
When I first started doing minibraids, I was natural and that was why I chose to go with braids at the time instead of twists. I had read a lot of horror stories of women having involuntary locs from the twists. But the braids are more restrictive and the tension from the braid pattern seemed to help keep those ladies from loccing. Maybe you could try braids for the longer period installs?

So uhh, are you gonna post any Nappiversary pix in here? Just asking. :cool2:
It'll depend on how the hair is looking after the take down.

snoop

I managed to take some pics last night. I still need to moisturize my hair, but my twists are soooo soft. I washed my hair with okra and honey earlier in the week. That was it. Also, when I twist, I use only water and then moisturize and seal after.

I figure that these took around 19 hours (1 1/2 days) which is much faster than I'd thought that it would take me.

LHCF_Twists_Feb2024.pngLHCF_Twists_Feb2024_2.pngLHCF_Twists_Feb2024_4.png

Threw it in a quick bun for the evening. It looked so full. I'm going to start wearing top knots for the next few months because I think that I've been putting too much tension on my crown with regular wear and low ponytails.

LHCF_Twists_Feb2024_3.png

Mapleoats

Hello!

I started the year off with mini twists which I kept in for 4 weeks. Besides cleansing my scalp I didn't wash the actual twists and the take down was so easy. I think that will be my new method for mini twists going forward. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of that set though :(. Right now I'm in some haphazard chunky twists but it's not my wash weekend. I'll take some pics next weekend when I wash and restyle my twists

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Finally took down the micro braids that I've had in since...whenever :lol: I found one that I STILL had to take down. Honestly, hair has really taken a backseat.
I checked, it was November 30 when I finished, but November 16th when I started :lol:

I think that's the longest I've ever had braids in, extentions or not hehehe. Around 13-ish weeks if I count when I first installed it.

ItsMeLilLucky

Wow! That's amazing! :notworthy:
Good job!!
Thank you Swifty, :love: But if I'm being honest, it was totally unintentional :lachen:Life be life-ing. Now it's in half cornrows/half Celie twists. I need to cornrow (and take the twists down) before they turn into locs under this headwrap :rofl::abducted:

alanaturelle

I'm still rocking my end of December twists, I planned to keep them till April but I miss my hair. I have been washing/co-washing every three weeks and moisturizing once to twice a week but I'm ready to take these down. I might push to end of March but I don't think the original schedule of April will hold, .

Lute

I have a question, when you are doing your twists with your own natural. In order for them to last longer than one month. Would you normally do a rope twist after the month is out.. you literally have to redo sections of your hair?

I want to lay off the extensions for a while.

MzSwift

I have a question, when you are doing your twists with your own natural. In order for them to last longer than one month. Would you normally do a rope twist after the month is out.. you literally have to redo sections of your hair?

By rope twist, do you mean to twirl the hair as you're twisting it? If so, then that's the only way I twist. And it definitely helps my hair to last longer.

I personally, refresh my twists every 3-4 weeks by taking them down and refreshing each twist, one at a time. I start in the front so that if I don't finish, at least the older twists in the back are hidden until I can get to them. I have learned that in order to go longer than a month without refreshing, I have to cut down on cowashing/water rinsing. For me, that contradicts why I do this style in the first place. More water on my scalp leads to more growth for me. So the more I rinse/cowash, the more frequently I have to refresh the style.

Lute

By rope twist, do you mean to twirl the hair as you're twisting it? If so, then that's the only way I twist. And it definitely helps my hair to last longer.

I personally, refresh my twists every 3-4 weeks by taking them down and refreshing each twist, one at a time. I start in the front so that if I don't finish, at least the older twists in the back are hidden until I can get to them. I have learned that in order to go longer than a month without refreshing, I have to cut down on cowashing/water rinsing. For me, that contradicts why I do this style in the first place. More water on my scalp leads to more growth for me. So the more I rinse/cowash, the more frequently I have to refresh the style.
Yes, twist and twirl. I was wondering if its safe to do. I did it once a long time ago.. But it was annoying to take out cause i had to finger detangle a lot.

Still trying decide to either do Mini braid or twists.

Last edited:

ItsMeLilLucky

Yes, twist and twirl. I was wondering if its safe to do. I did it once a long time ago.. But it was annoying to take out cause i had to finger detangle a lot.

Still trying decide to either do Mini braid or twists.
Did you figure out what you wanted to do?

snoop

I rope twist naturally. My hair will just stay and if left too long it'll mat.

I've found over the past few months, that it mats less and less and so the only thing that I have to "worry" about is frizz which I don't mind. I still have my February twists in (Saturday will be 1 month), but I plan on keeping them in until Easter Week/end. If I wanted, I'm sure that I could keep them in for 2 months without any real issue.

Lute

Did you figure out what you wanted to do?
So this past weekend, after taking the twits extensions out I decided ended up braiding my nape (3 sections) and started doing rope twists on the bottom half of my head but then I got tired and did regular twists the rest of the way.

From taking out the twits extensions to detangling, washing and then twisting was too much work. I think I'm going to braid/twists in my hair in bigger sections and then when I have more time. I can take them out quickly and make sure I deep condition then twists my hair

Cause right now my hair feels a little bit parched and emaciated.

I'm going to try and keep these twists for a month.

ItsMeLilLucky

So this past weekend, after taking the twits extensions out I decided ended up braiding my nape (3 sections) and started doing rope twists on the bottom half of my head but then I got tired and did regular twists the rest of the way.

From taking out the twits extensions to detangling, washing and then twisting was too much work. I think I'm going to braid/twists in my hair in bigger sections and then when I have more time. I can take them out quickly and make sure I deep condition then twists my hair

Cause right now my hair feels a little bit parched and emaciated.

I'm going to try and keep these twists for a month.
Maybe you can split it up in sections. Like I'll take out extensions, detangle, on 1 day
then on a different day depending on my energy level I'll wash, deep condition and start whatever style I'm doing on a different day (or days :lol:).

snoop

I'm all over the place. Originally, I wanted to take my twists down this weekend, but "decided" to take them down last week, instead. They came out yesterday. :look:

That's two days short of 6 weeks and they came out so easily. There were maybe 5 twists that I had issues with strands from one tendrils wrapping tightly around the other tendril and needing to be cut, but other than that, it was all good. Having freshly dusted ends also made the takedown process easier.