The Nerve of Her!

cocoaluv

I get this all the time. Girls in my class ( with no edges mind you) tell me I should get my hair braided in MICROS (hell no) in order to prevent breakage and to grow my hair out. No way in hell am I listening to anyone without any edges and a thin ponytail.

I just love how they think they are helping. I would never be so bold and tell someone what I think they need to do with themselves UGGG. Especially when 10 times outta 10 they look a mess and need to rethink a few of their own life choices. I get upset just thinking about it. I dedicate my siggy quote to people like them.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Some of the girls in my dorm did the same things. Telling me that I wash my hair too much, I use conditioner too often, that I need to get more relaxers, and that I need to stop wearing my hair up so much, because it was keeping my hair from "breathing and growing".

Meanwhile, their hair was a minefield of W-Shaped ends, non-existent edges, dryness, dullness, and all around dreckitude.

DaDragonPrincess

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Girl I haven been through that many times, back in the day I use to always fall into the trap and wonder why my hair always stayed around neck length and shoulder length...

Since I started my hair journey, I became my own beautician, every now and then I treat myself and let this male beautician hook me up,and he is the best,and has beautiful dreads...:yep: SHOUTOUT to Bay Bay in columbia SC ladies... go to him...need his contact get at me in PM, he works at a salon on Broad River Road.

But girl some of these beauticians be trippin, their hair looking a hot mess and always say they can hook you up, next time you get an offer look at their hair first and ask yourself this "how can you hook me up, and your not hooked up?":lachen:

kimmy89

In Peckham, where my favourite BSS's are (Paks, and Ace) I am hounded at the entrance of every shop by black women of many nationalities, asking me if I need my hair done by them. I decline but they always look at me as if I'm mad or that I have the nerve to be walking around without a fresh relaxer or some kind of weave and still think that I'm cute.

They do it to every woman without a weave!

Abso-freaking-lutly crazy!!!! I've had people give me the side eye and do the same thing! Um, clearly I'm natural and this is how I want my hair to look, and it looks good. I hate when people try and be funny! I understand how ya feel!

SmilingElephant

I was at my job (work at subway restaurant. summer job ya know) making this lady a sandwich. She had orangish, reddish, brownish micro braids in her hair. She had noooo edges and her nape looked so bad. Her scalp and the braids looked so dry and disgusting. Now Im stretching my relaxer. My edges arent smooth and I've been wearing my hair in a messy updo with curls. Lady starts small talk saying that shes a stylist that works next door and that I should come in for a relaxer. She could get my hair on point. Im looking at her like...you, with non-existent edges and a dry scalp could get MY hair on point. Now part of me wanted tell her a piece of my mind but I just nodded and said I'd come check out the salon later secretly laughing and smh.
Sure enough I walk by the salon to see a bunch of bald headed chicks getting weave glued in. Hot irons frying the hair. And relaxers being combed through their strands. :nono:
Needless to say I wont be setting not even a foot through that door. The nerve of that woman! :lachen:
Any of you LHCF ladies ever encounter situations like this?

:eek:.....:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:......at this whole post!!!

I actually know somebody that has micros that look just like what you said....is it a new species or something??

I went to the Post Office one day and like you...i was stretching my relaxer and this lady come runnin out the nearby salon....wit one of those quick weaves that look like you literally took play doh and gave yourself a style....come run givin me a card:rolleyes:.....i wish she would've looked in the mirrorS first....you get shot for stuff like dat!!:lachen:

SmilingElephant

A friend of the family said she would help me braid my hair. (My hair was in old canerows that I was going to take out and do myself but I was in no hurry.) I said no thank you but then she had the nerve to tell me that I don't look pretty at all and that she can make my hair look really nice like hers.

Now this girl had braids that were tight and her hairline was forced to lean back, she had a draw back basically. My mum (i love her) said "H. have you seen your hair?" and then all was silence :giggle:

I actually started crying from laughter bc of your siggy!!!!:rofl::lachen:

Read the original and then read the literal....HILARIOUSNESS!!!:laugh:

lolascurls

My aunt whom I haven't seen in a while told me on Wednesday (I should go to the salon to get my hair braided like hers!). I had flat twists I was ready to take out in. I eyed her lack of edges and tried to nicely say, "I'm growing my hair... I don't go to salons".
She was like, I'm growing my hair too! (lol! I won't even say anything to that!) I just nodded, like: "OK!"
That really annoyed me!

Last edited:

ajoke

A friend of the family said she would help me braid my hair. (My hair was in old canerows that I was going to take out and do myself but I was in no hurry.) I said no thank you but then she had the nerve to tell me that I don't look pretty at all and that she can make my hair look really nice like hers.

Now this girl had braids that were tight and her hairline was forced to lean back, she had a draw back basically. My mum (i love her) said "H. have you seen your hair?" and then all was silence :giggle:

LOl @ your siggy..

Ishtar

A few weeks ago there was this guy who followed me in the grocery store. He came up to the fruit section. At first he was complimenting me on how thick my hair was but finally got to the point. He said he was a hair stylist and would love to relax my hair for me. I replied " No, thank you."

Thing is I'm only 6 months post and everyone assumes my hair is completely natural.

Ashleescheveux

Ive heard "let me give you a touch up/flat iron your hair" too many times from chicks who cant get their hair past neck length. SMDH

lovegymnasts

A few weeks ago there was this guy who followed me in the grocery store. He came up to the fruit section. At first he was complimenting me on how thick my hair was but finally got to the point. He said he was a hair stylist and would love to relax my hair for me. I replied " No, thank you."

Thing is I'm only 6 months post and everyone assumes my hair is completely natural.

That is something I do not get. Why do so many people assume that if you are natural, you want to/can't wait to relax your hair? If I wanted relaxed hair, I never would have cut it off and gone natural in the first place.
(This is about me. I'm not knocking anyone else's hustle.)

Mini rant
Questions/comments I used to get that annoyed me. People now understand that my hair is going to stay this way:

• So when are you going to relax your hair?
My answer...never
  • Your hair would be so long if you straightened it or I bet a stylist would love to straighten your hair.
Me: :ohwell:
  • My mom: Your hair would hang so much better if you texturized it
Me: This is the hair that grows out of my head. You gave me this hair.
She hasn't said anything like this since and continues to brag on my hair.

Last edited:

kinkycurlyB

I work at a beauty supply store and im going natural and Im 4 months post. A lady came in asking for glue remover. Now mind you this is after she just got finished yanking glued in tracks out of her head. she had maybe 1 inch at the top of her crown and a half inch around here edges. She had the the nerve to tell me that it was time for me to perm my hair and she knows a good perm that gets it extra straight. Im looking at her like REALLY? You're really going to tell me that its time for me to get my hair done.

Kash

That is something I do not get. Why do so many people assume that if you are natural, you want to/can't wait to relax your hair? If I wanted relaxed hair, I never would have cut it off and gone natural in the first place.
(This is about me. I'm not knocking anyone else's hustle.)

maybe because they figure if they are obsessed with having straight/straighter hair then you must be too. you know some folks have a complex about natural afro-textured hair out in public.

Last edited:

lovelexi

I have had this happen to me before. I was in Sally's buying some hair rollers and as soon as I stepped out of the store this lady walked up to me and said that I needed to pay her a visit. (I was 4 months post at the time with my hair in a bun) I allowed her to have 2 minutes of my time so she could explain what she could "do for my hair". I told her that I would check her out another time as I was busy but there was NO way that I was gonna let someone near my hair and their head looked as if she were growing pubic hair for her edges...no thanks! :naughty:
:lachen::lachen::lachen: hilarious!

FroFab

Yep, I just moved to a new area and keep running into this lady with a crazy looking shiny wig with velcro-y, busted ends on the nape and ear portions. She keeps telling me she does hair and while I know my pixies were old, I'm not letting her anywhere near my head unless she removes the wig to show long, healthy Rapunzel type hair.

Miss_C

She tells me that they can give me a deep conditioning.
I told her I do my own deep conditioning every week and that I had no plans to go to a salon until after my hair had grown past my behind.
She said, Oh and left me alone.

:lachen:It seems like people are really impressed by the whole deep conditioning thing. When you tell stylists you do your own hair they always say that they'll DC you like it's some big trade secret. Girls who go to the salon weekly alway say "Girl, they be giving me deep conditioning". I'm like ummm :ohwell:, you know you can purchase deep conditioner for like 5.99 at the beauty supply right:grin:.

Emz Forever

Similar thing happened to me a week ago. I was at the BSS, picking out extensions for my braids (to help me stretch longer). Now granted, I was 12 weeks post, but my hair was freshly washed, blowdried and neatly held back by a nice hair band. This lady with 6 inch long fake lashes, greasy waist length synthetic blonde hair, and no hair line, creeps up behind me and goes: 'My, my, you look like you need your hair taken care of.' I was like: 'What's wrong with my hair?' She goes: 'It looks like it needs to be treated doesn't it?'

I pointed out that a)there was nothing wrong with my hair b) I was on my way to have it braided by a professional and c) criticising random strangers is not the best way to attract customers.

lovelexi

:lachen:It seems like people are really impressed by the whole deep conditioning thing. When you tell stylists you do your own hair they always say that they'll DC you like it's some big trade secret. Girls who go to the salon weekly alway say "Girl, they be giving me deep conditioning". I'm like ummm :ohwell:, you know you can purchase deep conditioner for like 5.99 at the beauty supply right:grin:.

omg yessss! my friend tells me i should go to her salon that "they will do me right" that they put this cream on her hair which makes it tingle just a little bit when shes under the dryer. im like are you serious?! you pay $60 every two weeks to have someone slap some conditioner in your hair and you think its something special.

hotshot

The black dominican cleaning lady at work, whose hair is just a few inches long, alerted me in front of the entirely white staff, how much prettier I would be with straight hair. . .how long and nice it would be. . .

i was thinking, oh no, we aren't going to do this. . .not here. . .not now!

cocoaluv

The black dominican cleaning lady at work, whose hair is just a few inches long, alerted me in front of the entirely white staff, how much prettier I would be with straight hair. . .how long and nice it would be. . .

i was thinking, oh no, we aren't going to do this. . .not here. . .not now!

I would have talked to her supervisor. Yoou dont have to like my hair but there is no reason for anyone to talk about it like that in front of everyone especially at work.

I am glad I am not as insecure as I was before because I really would have listened to these ladies and gotten my hair done ( by someone with actual hair and a steady hairline though).

Auburn

I cant wait for a day like that to come. I'm going to speak for ALL the ladies that had to put up for this BS. :)

HappilyLiberal

I was at my job (work at subway restaurant. summer job ya know) making this lady a sandwich. She had orangish, reddish, brownish micro braids in her hair. She had noooo edges and her nape looked so bad. Her scalp and the braids looked so dry and disgusting. Now Im stretching my relaxer. My edges arent smooth and I've been wearing my hair in a messy updo with curls. Lady starts small talk saying that shes a stylist that works next door and that I should come in for a relaxer. She could get my hair on point. Im looking at her like...you, with non-existent edges and a dry scalp could get MY hair on point. Now part of me wanted tell her a piece of my mind but I just nodded and said I'd come check out the salon later secretly laughing and smh.
Sure enough I walk by the salon to see a bunch of bald headed chicks getting weave glued in. Hot irons frying the hair. And relaxers being combed through their strands. :nono:
Needless to say I wont be setting not even a foot through that door. The nerve of that woman! :lachen:
Any of you LHCF ladies ever encounter situations like this?

One time a chick with ORANGE microbraided extensions handed me her card. My mom took one look at my face and cracked up!

Ruby True

Aight I looked at this thread and thought this would nvr happen to me. It did.I was at the mall today wearing my wig Im 16 wks post I thought it was atidy style. These two women made a bee line to me both wearing weave and one gave me her card. It felt like an intervention.

BEAUTYU2U

I get the ladies who tell me my hair would be so long if I straigthen it. I look at them and tilt my head to the side and tell them, my hair is already long unstraightened (Blink Blink). Then I walk away. What a dumb thing to say. UGH

LOL, they make it sound as though a flat iron or relaxer will "magically" put another three inches on your hair or something (lol) You have to HAVE the length before you can SHOW the length.

BriDa5242

Similar thing happened to me a week ago. I was at the BSS, picking out extensions for my braids (to help me stretch longer). Now granted, I was 12 weeks post, but my hair was freshly washed, blowdried and neatly held back by a nice hair band. This lady with 6 inch long fake lashes, greasy waist length synthetic blonde hair, and no hair line, creeps up behind me and goes: 'My, my, you look like you need your hair taken care of.' I was like: 'What's wrong with my hair?' She goes: 'It looks like it needs to be treated doesn't it?'

I pointed out that a)there was nothing wrong with my hair b) I was on my way to have it braided by a professional and c) criticising random strangers is not the best way to attract customers.

I can just HEAR the voice she had when she said that to you!! did she have to say "MY,MY" 2x uhhhh I hate people like that :nono:

Goombay_Summer

On Thursday I decided I would finally get my ends trimmed. I'm a natural and as a result I decided I would blow dry and flat iron my 4B hair so that it would be straight when my ends were trimmed. Well, apparently because I used a low setting on the flat iron and blow dryer my hair wasn't exactly pin straight the stylist had the nerve to tell me that I needed a relaxer. He loudly announced that if he did give me a relaxer my hair would break off. I looked at him and laughed because the rest of his clientele had weaves, bird nests, Naomi Campbell edges, and not a even a SL one in the whole bunch. What many of these so called stylist fail to realize is that their hair as well as their clients is a walking advertisement for the type of care you can expect to receive in their very non-capable hands.