The No Trimmers: Some Questions!!!!

littlefastcar

Hi All,

My hair is relatively healthy, pretty thick and soft. It makes me happy for the most part (except that seasonal shedding I get:nono:), and since I have been protective styling (rollerset or airdried bun) it has made me even happier.

Thing is, I've been stuck at SLAP (btwn SL and APL) FOREVER!!!!

I can't seem to gain any length! I know it is because I trim too much/too often. Its a combo of needing it and just plain ole' being scissor happy:wallbash:

SO, my no-trimmers (or rare trimmers)

1. How do you keep your ends looking decent?

and

2. What do you do instead when you get the urge to trim?

I am so serious about retaining some length this year. I have actually hidden my shears, and when I get home this summer, I will have my mom "confiscate" them from me!!!

Thanks, ladies:grin:

:lachen: You are going to have to step away from the scissors.

I keep my hair curly or bunned/pinned up, so I don't see my ends much.

I got the urge to trim and went to a salon and had a bad experience (before the trim), so that ended that. I rarely think about getting a trim because I know I don't want to do anything major until I reach my goal length.

:lachen: You are going to have to step away from the scissors.

I keep my hair curly or bunned/pinned up, so I don't see my ends much.

I got the urge to trim and went to a salon and had a bad experience (before the trim), so that ended that. I rarely think about getting a trim because I know I don't want to do anything major until I reach my goal length.

Yep, my ends don't stay out at all. I keep my natural hair in twists or in buns 90% of the time so I have no clue what my ends look like although I'm sure I'll have to trim a lot off when I go get my trim this summer. I'm on a 1/yr schedule for trims and I'm growing out my heat damaged ends.

So, better pin that hair up and apply some self control with those snips!

I don't trim my hair. I occasionally consider trimming/cutting, but I always put it off to some distant date and time and the urge wears off way before then. I haven't trimmed or cut since 2005. My new thing is I'm going to wait until four years after my big chop and then cut it even, since I have layers. That will be in the summer of 2009. The chances of me actually cutting or trimming at that point are slim, but you never know.

I wear protective styles to keep my ends in good shape. I also don't use heat.

I have decided not to trim until I reach APl, which I think I can reach this fall/winter. I just realized that I have a little heat damage on my ends from the last time I flat-ironed, so ooooh I want to trim so bad, but I want to reach APL more. My goal is to reach APL, get an extra inch or so and then trim a good inch. My goal is to never be shorter than APL. Then as I pursue BSL I have the same goal, get there, get a little past, then I'll give myself permission to trim/cut. I am just hiding my ends with twists, etc.

Stay away from the scissors and make sure you baby your ends. I have been almost 9 months without a trim. I use to be scissor happy also. But I realized if I want to reach my goal of WL by the end of the summer, I have to stop cutting. So far so good. My ends aren't splitting and they are as soft as the rest of my hair. I stopped using the flat iron as much and upped my DC's. My ends look decent you can see a picture I took last week in my fotki. You can see my ends are not messed up. I'm surprised myself and won't be cutting until I reach my goal. HTH.

I have decided not to trim until I reach APl, which I think I can reach this fall/winter. I just realized that I have a little heat damage on my ends from the last time I flat-ironed, so ooooh I want to trim so bad, but I want to reach APL more. My goal is to reach APL, get an extra inch or so and then trim a good inch. My goal is to never be shorter than APL. Then as I pursue BSL I have the same goal, get there, get a little past, then I'll give myself permission to trim/cut. I am just hiding my ends with twists, etc.

This is my plan as well with removing the heat damaged ends. How did you damage your hair? Did you go to a salon, did you do it yourself and if so what did you do? I'm very nervous about straightening my hair for a length check. Any advice you can offer to avoid having heat damaged ends, please share.

Thank you much!

just dust (cut off split ends)...stop trimming your hair,it is not necessary:look:

Honestly, I don't even think I'm strong enough to do that- the dust will turn into a trim, for sure!

I'm like a drug addict- for real. I'll be like "just a little more..." (scratching, Tyrone Biggums-style)

Honestly, I don't even think I'm strong enough to do that- the dust will turn into a trim, for sure!

I'm like a drug addict- for real. I'll be like "just a little more..." (scratching, Tyrone Biggums-style)

:lachen:I use to be the same way....girl,getcha' mind right:rolleyes::look:

I stopped cutting my ends too, last year I was scissor happy, this year I am determined to make bra strap. I had to literally bury my scissor in the back yard:ohwell:. I won't cut again until I get to brastrap.

This is my plan as well with removing the heat damaged ends. How did you damage your hair? Did you go to a salon, did you do it yourself and if so what did you do? I'm very nervous about straightening my hair for a length check. Any advice you can offer to avoid having heat damaged ends, please share.

Thank you much!

Girl you know what? Heat is just the debil!:yep: I have no advice for you. I did my hair myself, used heat protectant, tried to be careful, and this last time I flat-ironed (which I don't do often) my ends were like:look:, and I was like:wallbash:, but I don't feel bad. This is all a learning process and if I hadn't been able to flat-iron sometimes, I think I might have tried relaxing again. I needed to be able to see (and show) my length. Pretty soon though, I think I am going to give up flat-ironing and just blow dry from time to time. My hair looks best in it's natural state anyway.

did you come up with this phrase yourself? i love it! :grin:

i'm still scissor-happy, don't feel bad girl. just like i used to be a heat abuser. some things you have to give up cold turkey for a while. after a little while that compulsion goes away. then you can just do it because you want to, not because you feel like you have to. i made it a whole year without trimming (and i only dusted twice). my hair looks good, barely had any splits. it's not perfectly even, but you can tell it's growing! :yep: so if i can do it, i KNOW you can do it!

I haven't trimmed my hair or been to a stylist
in over a year.

I do treatments... baggying over night

I hardly get this urge.

I feel the same way as you; I also cannot for the life of me figure out if it's really split, or just dry. I have that little guide thing that someone on here posted, and I can spend literally hours looking for those split ones. But when I don't find any, I just figure that I have some "special" kind o fsplit ends and I just cut .5 inches and keep it pushing. I now my ends can be dry at times because I don't moisturize like I should, so I figure my ends are always dead...that's normal logic, right?

I don't really get the urge to trim. I keep my ends protected as much as I can and I rarely use heat.

I haven't trimmed in a long time and don't have any plans to.

ive never worn protective styling. sorry but i hate it. i love waring my hair down but i have been stuck at the same legnth because my stylist trims my hair every time i see her. i never need it because my ends almost, if at all split. my ends are amazing. not to toot my own horn:grin:. but she chops anyway:nono:.
so i've been going to the dominicans and my hair is so bouncy and since they dont trim, i wont trim.
you dont always need one.

I haven't trimmed my hair or been to a stylist
in over a year.

I do treatments... baggying over night

I hardly get this urge.

I started baggying my ends and it really helps to keep my ends looking healthy. I've decided that the next time I go back to my stylist for a relaxer, I am going to put my foot down and tell her that I do not want a trim. My stylist is very scissor happy and if I keep following her, I will never reach my goal of APL.

I haven't trimmed my hair since Feb 2007, when I cut the last of the color out of my hair. I don't plan on trimming again until..... I don't know, really.

1) I don't know - I protect them? Really, I wear my ends OUT so infrequently, not only do they not get a chance to get jacked up, even if they WERE, I wouldn't be staring at 'em all the time. :lol:

2) I used to own a pair of hair scissors - I have no clue where they are. THROW the scissors away. Seriously. When you get the urge to trim, come and read LHCF. Post that you are thinking about trimming - we're here for support. Look at your progress pictures. Research the latest product you want to get. In fact, do anything and EVERYTHING to figure out how to get your hair in such fabulous condition that you won't even consider the need for a trim.

And throw away the scissors. :yep:

Hi All,

My hair is relatively healthy, pretty thick and soft. It makes me happy for the most part (except that seasonal shedding I get:nono:), and since I have been protective styling (rollerset or airdried bun) it has made me even happier.

I can't seem to gain any length! I know it is because I trim too much/too often. Its a combo of needing it and just plain ole' being scissor happy:wallbash:

SO, my no-trimmers (or rare trimmers)

and

I am so serious about retaining some length this year. I have actually hidden my shears, and when I get home this summer, I will have my mom "confiscate" them from me!!!

Thanks, ladies:grin:

Girl, I was stuck at that same length for a while too. Hide them scissors girlfriend!!!!!

I do what you do to keep them looking decent: rollerset or airdried bun.

A light dusting, search and conquer, to get rid of splits or ragged ends...that usually holds me over until the next urge to trim.

I am in the same boat as you, I want to trim to BADLY!!!!! :wallbash: I have so many layers and my ends are see-thru. :nono: But they are healthy and so I will hold off until I reach my goal.

Also, have been seriously contemplating purchasing a human hair half wig. Wear my hair cornrowed underneath, with just an inch or two in the front out, to blend in. If I purchase one, I will wear it to help me stretch for as long as I can, and reach my goal without much manipulation and any unnecessary trimming.

1. How do you keep your ends looking decent? I am a bunner! I also limit heat usage to 2-3 times per year (until I reach my goal) and I keep my ends moiturized.

and

2. What do you do instead when you get the urge to trim? I never get the urge to trim becuse me ends are always hidden. I trim 1-2 times per year and that works out just fine :yep:

I would suggest more protective styles and less heat usage. If your hair isn't straight, you won't see your ends.

I have the opposite problem and I simply hate scissors. I did my first trim in a long time and ended up cutting too much hair...ok, that's it for me.

I say if you wear a lot of protective styles you won't see your ends that much and have the urge to cut.

Back