The Spiritual Side of Weight Loss

neenzmj

Hello everyone. God has really been placing it on my heart to talk about the spiritual side of weight loss.

About seven years ago, my weight was taking an upward climb. I joined Weight Watchers and lost the weight and have been very successful in keeping it off. This isn't a shameless plug for Weight Watchers because what I learned was this: many of the principles they try to instill in their members have their basis in scripture: self-control, positive self-talk, dealing with emotional eating.

Self-control is an essential part of weight loss. For a biblical basis, we can look at Titus 2:11-12, which says: “For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say ‘No’ to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age,.” I believe that if we apply God's principles to our lives (in every area), we would see greater victories against this epidemic of obesity, especially as it concerns the African American community.

What do you think?

I've created a blog sharing my experiences and how the word of God has impacted my life in this area: You can check it out at: www.fit4thejourney.com.

chicacanella

No, I totally agree with you. It's so many times throughout the day where I just say, "God's grace is sufficient enough for you." I have messed up here and there but another thing I thought was, "Don't disappoint God like this, glorify Him in everything you do." Today, I ate more than I've ate in a long time. I didn't go over my amount of calories but I think I am just so used to not eating.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Thank you!! Just today I was thinking I really wanted to post something just like this and that we really need to transform our minds with respect to weight loss, since it really is about the fruit of the Spirit--self-control. Anyway, so glad that you shared your story, and I will definitely be visiting the blog since I have my own battle to fight. Hopefully others will be encouraged as well.

preciouzone

Thanks neenzmj,

Emotional eating is a huge challenge for me. I feel guilty knowing
that I am turning to food when I should be turning to God and it
has become such a habit that I do it without thinking.

I am bookmarking your site and look forward to reading more.

~ Preciouzone ~

neenzmj

Preciouszone,

As I'm sure you know, the great thing about God is the fact that He doesn't do guilt. People can place a load of guilt on us, and we also place a lot of guilt on ourselves. So often our hear people refer to their bad eating days by saying "oh, I was bad today.' But it's so easy to go from "I was bad today" to a state of getting down on yourself about the setback. So, on the days when I go overboard, I acknowledge that I didn't eat as well as I should have and I make it a point to get back up on that horse and try it again the next day.

Lucky's Mom

Wow. My minister JUST talked aobut this on Sunday. Self control - or the lack there of - is the sin.

Thanks for sharing

honeyflaava

You ladies should check out http://www.weighdown.com It is a faith based weight loss program by Gwen Shamblin that is not based on crazy yo-yo dieting, excessive exercise, pills, liquid drinks, starvation, or food deprivation, but on simply following our God given mechanism for our bodies: eat when hungry, and stop when full. And the plus is that you can eat whatever you want. She has been featured on Tyra Banks, Lifetime, Today Show, CNN, and a number of other shows and magazines. It REALLY WORKS!!

Check out the testimonies from people on this site. And also this YouTube video of this couple who lost over 500 pounds! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlJOB1e2d6U

Testimonies that were featured on Lifetime
http://www.weighdown.com/Media_MyLifeTime_October2008.shtml

Last edited:

gn1g

^^ I watched that show on Tyra it was good, but from what I saw you definetly need self control to keep from binging.

She took one fry and put s&p on it and ketchup and enjoyed it. settled down, chewed it well thought about what she was doing and only eat a few.

honeyflaava

Yes it is definitely about self control and that's why the basis of the program is building a relationship with God and asking Him to give you self-control. It is challenging at first especially if like me you have been emotionally dependent on food and just eat as much as you want whenever you want. But I've found that by eating her way, rating your foods and eating your favorite bites first, while taking a sip of your drink in between, you really don't need that much food. It's all about conquering the desire to over indulge. And because you're not restricting yourself from eating foods you like, it takes the extra pressure off and releases the need to binge.

Mo96

OP - Thanks for posting this. I can't wait to get home and check out your blog!

Oh, and to the other ladies, thank you so much for posting those links as well!!

LiciaB

Thank you sooooo much for posting this!! I was just speaking to a really good friend of mine about this same topic. I wanted to find some scripture that could help me. I've been overweight pretty much my whole life and I'm tired of it. I make changes in my eating habits and find myself going back to my old ways. I realized that I had not once prayed for the Lord to help me, I was failing because I was trying to do it in my own power, my own way. I know now that there is NOTHING that I can do absent of the Lord. I'm so glad I logged on tonight and read this post, it was just what I needed.

To the ladies that shared the sites, thank you so much!! They will definitely be a great help to me and those I share them with :yep:.

DreamLife

I am so happy that you posted this website...I have been praying and really watching what I eat, realizing that my body is a temple. The only way that I can be an effective vessel for God is to be well in my spiritual life as well as my body...

In doing this, it has brought out some really ugly things that were on the inside, as to the reasons why I overeat and the way I view food.

Your website is really a blessing!

neenzmj

Isaiah 40:31: "but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Never Give up! I wrote this on my blog as an encouragement for us all, no matter what issues we are struggling with our lives:

"My father-in-law lived with multiple sclerosis since the age of 19. He passed away a couple of years ago at the age of 71. But what I remember most about him (more than the multiple sclerosis), was one of the mottos he lived by: NEVER GIVE UP.” Through bouts of blindness, debilitating headaches, loss of speech, and finally cancer – he lived by his faith in God and he never gave up. When he lost the ability to walk on his own and found himself wheelchair-bound, he never stopped believing that he could do anything he set his mind to and he never stopped believing in the power of God in his life.

I write this as an encouragement for all us on those days when we just wanna throw in the towel and give up. When the scale doesn’t budge – don’t give up. When your friends and family just don’t get it and aren’t very supportive – don’t give up. And on those days when you go on a binge and you wanna kick yourself – don’t give up."

gn1g

very encouraging thread.

relentless I am going to go back to taking chlorella it really helps me with sugar cravings.