The Time Has Come--Taking Out Braids!!!!!!

cocoberry10

Ladies:

I will be taking out my braids this weekend. I am armed with AJAmerican Diva's braid tips. I followed them (except for using the gel, I didn't want to take a chance of drying out my hair). I have taken out about 5 braids so far, and there has been little shedding. In fact, there hasn't been "halos" around the braids except for some dust/debris in the ones in the back (and I think that's b/c of the MTG use). I have had my braids for a while (longer than 6 weeks). I just wanted to thank you ladies for your encouragement and support, and hope that I have the kind of growth I was looking for.

cocoberry10 said:
Ladies:

I will be taking out my braids this weekend. I am armed with AJAmerican Diva's braid tips. I followed them (except for using the gel, I didn't want to take a chance of drying out my hair). I have taken out about 5 braids so far, and there has been little shedding. In fact, there hasn't been "halos" around the braids except for some dust/debris in the ones in the back (and I think that's b/c of the MTG use). I have had my braids for a while (longer than 6 weeks). I just wanted to thank you ladies for your encouragement and support, and hope that I have the kind of growth I was looking for.

cocoberry10 where can I find AJAmerican Diva's braid tips?
thanks in advance

Thanks Ladies! Here are the tips, and here is the site:

Diva’s Personal Tips for Braid Success

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/fo...ead.php?t=22176

My regimen thereafter went something like this:
Once a week (standing in the shower)
1. Wash hair with either diluted shampoos: Keracare Hydrating/Detangling shampoo, Pantene Relaxed and Naturals or John Frieda Relax Total Clarity Moisturizing Shampoo. Although the first two shampoos are my absolute favorites, I'd use the Frieda shampoo every other shampoo to make sure I got rid of build up on my scalp. (You know that stuff you see under your nails when you scratch your scalp? It did an excellent job of this.) My focus was using my fingertips to massage the scalp and loosen up any debris and then simply sliding my hands down the shafts of the braids so they'd get a lil' of the foamy water.

2. Condition hair with one of the following conditioner diluted: Keracare Humecto or Pantene Relaxed and Naturals conditioners. This was done, moreso concentrating on the shaft of the braids. Hair was lightly rinsed with cool water.

Key Point: Why diluted shampoos and conditioners? This helps to reduce any buildup at the base of the braids... you know those horrible looking clumps you sometimes see when you loose out your braids....

3. Once I got out of the shower, I wrapped my braids in an Aquis towel... it's highly absorbent. (I bought mine off of eBay.) The constant dripping of water would drive me crazy and this towel absorbs a lot of the excess water in a small amount of time. You can just use a regular towel, no biggie. When "drippage" is under control, I sprayed my scalp with a light leave-in conditioner such as Motions Leave-In or a 50/50 mixture of Infusium 23's Leave-In for damaged hair and their moisturizing leave-in.

4. I sprayed Surge Revitalizer 14 on the scalp and sprayed along the shaft of the braids with S-curl, followed by a light coating of World of Curls gel for extra dry hair (this step is optional, but I did it because New York weather is MAD COLD!!!!) and then sealed it in with either a spraying of Isoplus Oil sheen (in the blue can) but better still which I really loved, was putting a light oil such as Surge's Motion 9 Oil or Carol's Daughter Khoret Amen oil into a spray bottle and lightly misting the scalp and shaft of the braids. This seals in the moisture. For those who like using Jojoba oil and other light oils with added essential oils (i.e. rosemary, ylang-ylang, lavender, etc), this is good as well. Me being pregnant and all, there are some essential oils that I can't fool around with. I do love ylang-ylang.

Daily... Once-Twice per day
1. Surge Revitalizer 14 on scalp.
2. S-curl on shaft, followed by World of Curls gel.
3. Spray with a light oil to seal in moisture.

When taking out the braids, I find it vital to use some sort of spray made for this purpose. In this case, I used Better Braids Unbraid Spray. It helps to detangle the hair and dissolve any of that clumping you might have. (This might be helpful for people wearing weaves who have matting at the root problems as well. Me, I personally haven't had a weave in years!) I sprayed the roots and then took out the braids. I would then comb it lightly with a small tooth comb to remove whatever debris might me there. I was quite pleased that I saw none of that clumping at the root of my braid, the hair wasn't tangled and there was very little shedding. I had prepared myself to shed two months worth of unshedded hair, but had very little. Once the entire head was loosed, I lightly combed with a big toothed comb and hit the shower. I washed, used a reconstructor, followed by a moisturizing conditioner. I lost so few hairs that I even took a pic. I'll try and post it later in my album. As it stands, I will be getting braids again, God willing, this weekend. Remember, my hair hasn't been relaxed since September and I am a 4a. This new growth ain't playing My hairdresser went away and won't be back until mid-April and I don't trust anyone else with my hair, so braids seem to be the best way for me to not manipulate the hair in such a vulnerable state. On the other hand, when I finally do relax, I can't wait to see how much growth I got.

Also, I wanted to say that I had my braids in for almost 12 weeks. So I have been without a relaxer since March, got my braids in August (22 weeks post), and will take them out this weekend (close to 12 weeks after getting them). Also, I have type 4a/b hair!

Hmm I have a question ladies... I currently have my hair in micros or close to that size but without extensions. I wanted to take it out in Christmas but I was concerned about all my product buildup and shedding. The ends of my braids curls like cork screws which makes them difficult to take out without snagging some hair too..what can I put to help me out?

carribean_dream said:
Hmm I have a question ladies... I currently have my hair in micros or close to that size but without extensions. I wanted to take it out in Christmas but I was concerned about all my product buildup and shedding. The ends of my braids curls like cork screws which makes them difficult to take out without snagging some hair too..what can I put to help me out?

Carribean Dream:

If you are saying that your own hair is braided w/o extensions, I would strongly suggest you redo your braids, if you want to keep your hair braided until Christmas. Yes, you will probably have too much buildup, and the style may not last that long.

carribean_dream said:
Thanks coco- I will probably take them out in for Thanksgiving and get cornrows..

But what can I do to make the taking out process easier?

I know some people say to use a braid spray before taking out the braids, but my hair does better if I take the braid out dry, detangle, then use spray moisturizer. You may even be able to use the spray moisturizer after removing the braid to help detangle, but it's up to you. Also, go to www.growafrohairlong.com (Crown and Glory method). She gives a great short video on how to take out the braids and loose the debris w/o ripping your hair out!

Back