The truth about shea butter

struna

I hope it's ok to put this here. I'm still learing how to use this site. Bear with me.

Raw shea butter wholesale cost is 5.25per pound for our regular costumers.
rzongo@empowervillage.com

I will be ordering from here from now on. I'm learning the bright yellow shea butter is no good. This shea butter has been tested.

PS. I never have anything 2 share with u guys because u are so knowledgable. Here is me trying.:rolleyes:

The true color of natural unrefined shea butter range from Ivory to faint yellow to faintly green to beige. Do not confuse Ivory shea butter with snow white shea butter. Shea butter that is snow white is refined shea butter. There is an African butter available is the USA that is heavily yellow, called river butter. This is not shea butter and should not be confused with shea butter. Finally, some add various coloring agents to their butter in an attempt to mask adulteration. You are encouraged to used Certified Premium Grade A shea butter, which is becoming the consumer standard for safety and quality and performance for shea butter sold in the USA.

Never use shea butter that has not been tested to show that it is safe and will not pose harm to the health and well being of the end user.
Below is a list of harmful agents the seller should be routinely checked for before selling the butter. Unfortunately it’s not done. Therefore, the consumer must take the time to find out if the seller has performed these critical services.

Lead
Mercury
Mold
Yeast
Products of rancidity
Coliform bacteria (Shigella, E.Coli, Salmonella, etc,
Unsanitary products

Last edited:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Joined in 2009 with 6 posts total and the only post this year is selling your special shea butter?

SelahOco

Is she selling anything? She says "I will be ordering from here from now on." I'm wondering if she just copied and pasted the pricing text from the website she's talking about.

aicramphoto

Is she selling anything? She says "I will be ordering from here from now on." I'm wondering if she just copied and pasted the pricing text from the website she's talking about.

I agree. I thought it was informative about the potential health risks, but I, too, am still somewhat of a newbie. :perplexed

Pompous Blue

I don't understand the purpose of the original post.

taetae Are you saying that only shea butter bought from empowevillage.com is safe and that they prove it?

I've purchased and trust unrefined shea butter from different online vendors: lotioncrafter.com, fromnaturewithlove.com, brambleberry.com, camdengrey.com, etc. etc. All reputable vendors.

Nothing in your posts offers proof your vendor is any better/superior than the others I listed.

Tiye

Lead
Mercury

This kind of contamination can happen in an African village?

I personally prefer off white shea butter. But rancidity can happen to any oil - any user has to use their nose. If anyone who sells rancid shea butter, or shea butter with mold better insist on getting your money back!

HautePinkHeels

I think she was just trying to say that the yellow shea butter is not truly shea butter although it's marketed as shea butter in the US. I don't think she was trying to sell anything, just giving a place to get some "real" shea butter if you were interested.

Geez.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using LHCF

silenttullip

that's my kinda price lemme get 4 wait where are these bridges located and will you place them in other areas free of charge?

struna

No I'm not selling anything. I thought you would want see what I found as a bargain. I thought I was being helpful. Yes I did read and paste. You guys are always helpful and I just thought I was doing the same. So sorry.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Inbox me the site please ma'am. My supplier shut down and their shea butter was all kinds of awesome. Always open to new and good sources of butters and oils for my skin. Thank you.

struna

I think she was just trying to say that the yellow shea butter is not truly shea butter although it's marketed as shea butter in the US. I don't think she was trying to sell anything, just giving a place to get some "real" shea butter if you were interested.

Geez.

Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to say.

Ogoma

No I'm not selling anything. I thought you would want see what I found as a bargain. I thought I was being helpful. Yes I did read and paste. You guys are always helpful and I just thought I was doing the same. So sorry.

taetae: thank you for the information.

athenat

taetae, Thank you for the info on shea butter :yep:. I get soo confused with the different colors that at times it's hard to make an educated decision regarding the appropriate shea butter.

Last edited:

Guitarhero

OOOO, I'll take two of dem bridges...one from my house to downtown and the southside without any bottlenecks...and another to the northside with no construction. LOL.

hair4today

OP thanks for this useful post on the different varieties of shea. Good information to have for future buying decisions.

zoromo

I too was suspicious of that yellow shea butter, but not because of the heavy metals in it, I thought that it was adulterated with palm oil and whatever else. I bought some on more than one occasion and once you get half way through it is white looking. I prefer the off white type and can believe that there can be contaminants. When you say how can this be contaminated with heavy metals in an African village think again. The presses used to process the butter and maybe the vats used to store it before packaging could be made of metals that have lead and other things in them and likely come from China. I have some knowledge about Africa and have shopped at African markets on many occasions and have wondered about the standards of things sold there like palm oil or coconut oil sold in bottles that look like worn out water bottles. Plastics that are heated or damaged can leach endocrine disrupters into their products...
I do not know of her motives and am not speaking on that part, but I am glad she discussed some containments.

NaturalfienD

Damn- girlfriend was just trying to be helpful ... :catfight:

Nobody likes stankin' thangs ... attitudes included ... **sprays FDS on the funk coming out of the computer screen** ... it's not me, it's prolly you ... :yep:

Shoutout to @taetae for being brave enough to start a thread with only 8 posts to stand on ... :woot: I only have 29 ... guess this makes 30. :look:

reeko43

Thanks OP. I stay away from the yellow shea butter. When I started seeing it in the Korean BSS, which I no longer patronize, I knew it wasn't legit.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Thank you for the information! I love the website you provided to us, it is very pretty and informative:

http://empowervillage.com/

This part from the website is great too:

Extraction method: Manual | ABSOLUTELY NOT chemically modified, No systhetic preservatives, parabens, GMOs, petroleum

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

Geez.

Hmm this is disconcerting considering I perfer the yellow one to the off white. I find the off white to greasy. Drats!