The "Wet Look"

Super_Hero_Girl

The \"Wet Look\"

Hi all,
It's been a while since I've been areound here I have a quick question for the nautrals and anyone else who may know. I have extremely curly natural hair and it gets dry easily. Does anyone know how to achieve the "wet look" that some curly haired naturals have. Thanks in advance ladies!

patience

Re: The \"Wet Look\"

Their hair may actually be wet. However, you may want to give some of the frizz control serums a shot as well as some hair butters for moisture. They may also use some of the high gloss/shine products.

Irresistible

I always get the wet look by actually really having my hair wet and oiled well, i soak my hair in watery type leave in's ( such as, african pride, allways 911) and use lots of oils/butters with them, if i just washed or co washed then the wetness from the water is enough, along with plenty of oil, to give me that look too, some of the creamy leave in's give me the wet look too though, such as Elasta QP Mango butter, and oil moisturizer

Kha

FOTE Aloe Vera Gel works everytime for me. It keep the curl definition for DAYS even after my hair is dry. I call them shake and go's...

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:
FOTE Aloe Vera Gel works everytime for me. It keep the curl definition for DAYS even after my hair is dry. I call them shake and go's...

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever wanted to slap someone their hair was so freakin' GORGEOUS!!! That's how I feel about you...j/k
Your hair is Dyno-Mite though!

loverofnaps71

I have to be careful with "the wet look" because I'm always teased for having a jheri curl. When my hair dries, it's still curly, but I use moisturizers that make it appear shinier, not wet. So then, some people think I have a texturizer.

It's funny, but you can achieve the wet look by applying your products while the hair is still wet. I would first apply any moisturizer or oil. Then, you should apply your leave-in conditioner. Right now, I'm hooked on Giovanni's Leave-In Conditioner and the Moisturizer. Unlike Paul Mitchell's products (which I swore by); the Giovanni keeps my hair soft and silky, not sticky or cripsy. There's also no ugly white film left on my hair.

Surge's Woojee Cream is also good, but I prefer the Giovanni line.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever wanted to slap someone their hair was so freakin' GORGEOUS!!! That's how I feel about you...j/k

[/ QUOTE ] really though, dang im lovin your twists and twist out.....

Kha

Thanks Irresitable!!! I took a peak into your album and your hair is very nice, it's so long! I'll finish going through it tonight, I'm sure I'm gonna be sick with jealously!

Tammy

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] really though, dang im lovin your twists and twist out.....

[/ QUOTE ]

You can say that again!! Her hair is stunning!!

NGC

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl - you ain't neva lied!!! Kha's hair is gorgeous!!!!!

NGC

[ QUOTE ]
loverofnaps71 said:
I have to be careful with "the wet look" because I'm always teased for having a jheri curl. When my hair dries, it's still curly, but I use moisturizers that make it appear shinier, not wet. So then, some people think I have a texturizer.

It's funny, but you can achieve the wet look by applying your products while the hair is still wet. I would first apply any moisturizer or oil. Then, you should apply your leave-in conditioner. Right now, I'm hooked on Giovanni's Leave-In Conditioner and the Moisturizer. Unlike Paul Mitchell's products (which I swore by); the Giovanni keeps my hair soft and silky, not sticky or cripsy. There's also no ugly white film left on my hair.

Surge's Woojee Cream is also good, but I prefer the Giovanni line.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I do combined with using the denman brush while in the shower with a rinse out conditioner in my hair. My hair is frizz free and wavy/curly.

Kha

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:
wow KhaLeSsta i love your hair. Consider that 2 strand flat twist style stolen lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...
thanks and that's cool...I stole it right out of a hair book!

Kha

[ QUOTE ]
NGC said:
[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl - you ain't neva lied!!! Kha's hair is gorgeous!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you!

myspice

eeewww, very good thread. I was also looking for products that give natural hair a wet look. When I find the right products that give my hair a shine, I'll wear it out. Right now, I'm weaveitup's sign on name!
And, I love it!

I mainly use the kemyoyl shea butter pomade i comb it through when my hair is wet ...when my hair is slightly dampo... i give it a goooood shake(like a wet dog) and go ... by the time i get to work it is curly and shiny...ps: i may spray surge on it while it is almost try... no touching though.i i feel for my big afro then i'll comb it out.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie

OMG KhaLesSta.......I've never experienced hair envy before........but I guess there is a first time for everything

Shinka

i'm going to have to get me denman brush. All the natural i know with great looking hair uses it. Off to order one....hehehe

ChocoKitty

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:
wow KhaLeSsta i love your hair. Consider that 2 strand flat twist style stolen lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen! Your hair is beautiful!

Super_Hero_Girl

Thanks for the suggestions ladies.
My hair is really curly and I always get questions about having a braid out or a texturizer and I just wanted somthing different, with the wet look.
Thanks again for those of you who helped!

PlainJane

This is an old thread, but I'd like to know this as well. I like the wet,shiny look I see on others braid outs, buns, and wash n go's. What products are you ladies using for the "wet look"?

krissyhair

I've got some advice for the wet look that mirrors the 10 year old advice in this thread.

Apply products to dripping wet hair. Shingle. Air dry. Spray wet again if it gets frizzy while drying. Use extra hold gel. This works best on thin hair to get the really wet look. Thicker hair may shrink up more once it's dry.

An option for the kinkier textured hair is to braid out on dripping wet hair, same products and layering as listed above, use rollers on the end if need be.

PlainJane

The reviews for Curl Keeper look really promising!
I also think adding products to soaking wet hair helps, but my hair never has the shine on second day hair. What is shingle? I need to search that one.