Thick hair

Devi

I got my hair flat ironed super straight today. I wanted too look cute for tomorrow.

The problem is, even when it's straight it's THICK. It's heavy and doesn't fall right. It won't be nice silky hair like I see on other people... it is heavy instead of being light. Not that it doesn't have volume... it has too much volume and takes up too much space. The only person that I can think of with hair like me is that topanga girl fronm boy meets world when she was young.

Other people like it, but I'm not too fond of it... not when I'm going out somewhere and I want my self proclaimed "Princess Peach hair"... (nice, baby soft straight hair) so I spent about 2 hours going over my hair section by section with the flat iron on HIGH heat.

I'm not worried about damage because before I did this, I gave my self a heavey protein treatment and my hair seems to be able to handle heat very well anyway. I experienced close to no breakage during the whole thing.

Now I know that I didn't put too many products in my hair. It's weighed down by it's own weight... I dunno?!!? I put quater sized amounts of leave in, heat protectant, oil an pressing oil... which is not a lot on 17 inches of ultra thick hair.

It's very frustrating to me... how can I make my hair be thinner??

Maybe blowdry with a fine tooth comb attachment on wet/damp hair in sections with leave-in and glossing polish/serum in your hair.

I have problems with my thick hair as well. After getting it done, I wrap it up at night and it goes flat the next day. No bounce at all. Anyone have any advice for us?

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
have you thought about long layers to reduce some of the bulk?

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be my recommendation.

What kind of oil are you using? It might not be as heavy if you stick to a spray heat protectant, or spray heat protectant and a smidgen of serum.

my hair is super thick and i'm transitioning and I have layers. It always comes out as straight as i want it. Long subtle layers are nice because they're easier to grow out and you do some really nice flipped out styles. I really know how you feel because my hair is ultra thick and i said the same problem before my layers.

Hi Devi. I have the same problem as you. For me, I can't flat iron my hair and expect it to stay straight. The hot comb is the ONLY thing that gets it straight.

I have 3C/4A natural hair, but even when I was permed, my hair never seemed to get that super-straight sleek look. I am someone who MUST have a blow-dry and then a press.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
have you thought about long layers to reduce some of the bulk?

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be my recommendation.

[/ QUOTE ]

They will definately help in reducing the "bulk" look.

Also, what kind of flat-iron was used to straighten it? Lower end ones tend to not work as well as more expensive ones.

I nominate the layers as well, I have thick poof ball hair and when I would go to the stylist back in the day, I always got layers cut in, not only for the weight issues but because with hair being as thick as mine is, a one length cut is not very flattering...it's just just shapeless and blah. Also, try using maybe a dime amount of product...experiment a little

I used a chi... I don't personally own one of those expensive friggin things though.

I don't want layers because most of the time I wear my hair curly. I love the curls to be big and thick, and I don't want them to be layered.

Any other ideas??

[ QUOTE ]
Devi said:
I used a chi... I don't personally own one of those expensive friggin things though.

I don't want layers because most of the time I wear my hair curly. I love the curls to be big and thick, and I don't want them to be layered.

Any other ideas??

[/ QUOTE ]

From curly girl to curly girl your curls will definitely have more shape,defintion, and movement if you get your layers. And at the same time you will still have tons of volume (thats another reason why people get layers) In no way shape or form will the diameter and thickness of your curls be affected unless they razor cut it i think. Trust..I think thats the only way you are going to get the results you want no matter what products you use. When I get to my goal length I will defintely have my hair cut in LONG layers. With long layers you dont see that much of a length difference
smile.gif
When I had long hair, I benefited because I had more movement and shape to my hair, instead of one big blob of hair that I could do nuthing with. And when I wanted to straighten my hair it was a breeze
smile.gif
The only other way IMO is using high amounts of heat, which im pretty sure you dont want to do.

But hopefully there are some other ladies that have more methods
wink.gif

Back