Thin Haired Ladies...This is what is working for me!!!

Radianthealth

I am not trying to get people onto the PJ bandwagon so the intent of this thread is to tell you the method that I have been using to help thicken up my fine strands:

1. Protein Moisture Balance seems to be the key.
2. I prepoo with a moisturizing conditioner mixed with a medium strength protein conditioner. I use about 1/3 moisturizing conditoner to 2/3 protien conditioner. I cover my hair with a plastic cap and leave this on for at least an hour.
3. I shampoo with Cream of Nature shampoo
4. After I shampoo, I sit under my heating cap with a moisturizing conditioner for at least 30 minutes.
5. I rinse the conditioner and do an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse.
6. I apply moisturizer to my hair and massage my scalp with essential oils.
7. I comb my hair back and tie a satin scarf to dry
8. For the next 2-3 days until my next shampoo I apply a protein heavy moisturizer mixed with a regular moisturizer and seal with castor oil.
9. I baggy my hair on a daily basis and use hair falls and phony ponies for protective styles

My hair has thickened up considerably by using this routine, I believe that maintaining the protien moisture balance, scalp massages, stretching relaxers, texlaxing, and castor oil are all great tools for fine hair.

I hope this helps!:D

Disclaimer: I am not trying to create any more Product Junkies. I am just sharing my positive experience.

Thanx!

I needed this. My hair won't even try to fill in the top of my head. It is SOOO frustrasting!

But I will try some of the things you have named, esp, the castor oil.

Do you use cold-pressed or the regular kind you find in the drug stores?

I use the regular kind. I have heard that black castor oil works well also but I haven't tried it...yet:)

The castor oil is best used while baggying, I don't think it will work well if you are wearing your hair down.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the how-to Trimbride ... I'm taking notes. I've heard you ladies mention bagging ends in a ponytail ... is there a reason why no one seems to baggy the whole head with say a shower cap?

Great post Trimbride!!! Exactly which brand of castor oil are you using? I was about to buy Always but decided not to. Also-i noticed that baggying with a mixture of WGHO & Kemi Oyl has helped to get some thickness going.---This is so cool because the stylist that did my last touch-up was telling me the same things in regards to the moisture and protein balance for my fine hair. Im already hooked on Joico K-pak-so she was giving me a few moisturizing cons to add. Wow, i really like my stylist now:D

Last edited:
I use any brand of castor oil. I use pure castor oil not products with castor oil in them. I can only use the castor oil if I am baggying because it is thick and it makes your hair hard to comb. So if you are combing often or wearing your hair down, this will most likely not work for you.

30720548.JPG

They sell it at Walmart or any drug store.

rickysrose said:
Thanks for the how-to Trimbride ... I'm taking notes. I've heard you ladies mention bagging ends in a ponytail ... is there a reason why no one seems to baggy the whole head with say a shower cap?

Some people do baggy with a shower cap but I believe this isn't very practical for everyday styles.

Some people baggy only at night with a shower cap.

While others baggy their ends 95% of the time (This is the category in which I fall)

I believe the purpose of baggying is to retain moisture. Since the newer hair near my roots doesn't have as much of an issue with retaining moisture as the older hair at the ends (which is more porous), I only baggy my ends. Therefore, for me it is not necessary to baggy my entire head with a shower cap.

When I first started baggying I tried to baggy my entire head and my hair became too mushy or over moisturized. I experienced some minimal breakage from over moisturizing my hair, and my scalp also felt like it was suffocating.

I have found that for me the best method is baggying the ends, it has minimized my breakage and my split ends.:D

Thanks Trimbride, I'm glad I asked. I find I have a tendency to have mushy hair when I use too much Proline or similar products.

I'm not sure if I like the looks of my ends after the baggy, but I'm going to keep an eye on them.

Adding Panthenol to your shampoo or conditioner may help as well:

Panthenol is the naturally occurring form of Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B-5) found in human hair that supports the growth and maintenance of bodily tissues. When applied to hair, it is quickly absorbed into the hair shaft, where it thickens and moisturizes. Most shampoos with Panthenol contain only 1 - 2% of this important nutrient.

Suggested Usage: Add 1/2 to 1 oz. of pure Panthenol to 16 oz. of your favorite shampoo. Mix well. If hard, it can be melted or softened by placing in a pan of hot water for 30 minutes or microwaved for a few seconds.

Thanks for the tips!!:) I have been doing the baggie method at night, and it has helped.

divinefavor said:
Where do you purchase your Panthenol?
I am not sure where to purchase, i just saw the information about panthenol the other day. I have been looking and i think im going to have to get it online. If anyone knows please enlighten the rest of us :p Here is the link i got from doing a random browse through the archives. Very informative!!:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/archive/index.php/t-43670.html

Apparently NOW has a panthenol but i havent seen it in any stores..then again i havent looked that hard yet.

Last edited:
I have the caplets that I take as a part of my vitamin regime. I have opened a caplet and added it to conditioner before. I believe there is a liquid version that should work better.

I only did it once, I forgot to do it again, so I don't really know.

I believe there is a liquid form that is much easier to use. I will look the next time I go to GNC.

:lol:

Please enlighten us!

atlien11 said:
I am not sure where to purchase, i just saw the information about panthenol the other day. I have been looking and i think im going to have to get it online. If anyone knows please enlighten the rest of us :p Here is the link i got from doing a random browse through the archives. Very informative!!:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/archive/index.php/t-43670.html

Apparently NOW has a panthenol but i havent seen it in any stores..then again i havent looked that hard yet.

Back