Thinking about the side effects...

DDHair

After being in a thread (and I don't remember who said it) and a young lady questioned the side effects of MTG and then reading some posts and then my sister mentioning possible side effects (because with the Original Mane & Tail, my cousin, who is a horse trainer said that the leave-in conditioner that everyone was so wild about, was not causing the hair to grow, but actually strecthing the length to appear longer, which would come in handy for horse shows), I got to thinking maybe MTG will have some major side effects, I know that sulfur will jack up your jewelry, because Sulfur 8 tarnished my ring a few times, but I am not liking what you guys said it does to the skin and the scalp with the flaking etc. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=65188&highlight=side+effects+mtg and in the end what I am wondering is will your hair fall out once you discontinue use, I just got to thinking about how the people on the Shapley's site seemed to have to continue using the product for the horse to continue looking good, even after they thought the horse was in tip top shape, they seemed to have noticed a possible reoccurrence of the bad happenings and once they stopped using MTG and then they had to go back and make MTG a permenant part of their horses regimen, for things to start looking good again. Because truth be told, once my hair gets to my goal, I will not be using the stuff anymore and if my hair starts shedding because I have discontinued usage, well I am just not trying to have that or be dependent on the chemical. Oh and by the way, what I said about the Monistat, even though I still don't see me using it, I could see that if it has the same ingredients to stop fungus such as products like MTG, it possibly could work to strengthen hair. But being as though it seems that none of us have used MTG for longer than some months, has anyone experienced hair coming out once you discontinued use?

Last edited:

blessed

very good thread question. I was thinking about trying this product but I was not sure on the side effects that could happen.

Has anyone had any bad effects after using mtg and were you able to correct it?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

If the main ungedient in MTG is Sulfur then that's like saying if you stop using Sulfur 8, and any other thing that contained sulfur would cause the hair to fall out:confused: , I hope someone has the info to this because this would end up being a serious problem for lots of pple.:(

divine

Confused b/c I work with horses. Mostly appaloosa's and Clevelandbays, and never have to continue using Shapleys. Then again when I see a problem with one of my horses I fix the environment so they don't get fungus breakouts or thing like that. Only thing I have a problem with is the bald spots on the horses, and that due to old age or my little rascals biting each other.

I can't answer ur question.

MeccaMedinah

divine said:
Confused b/c I work with horses. Mostly appaloosa's and Clevelandbays, and never have to continue using Shapleys. Then again when I see a problem with one of my horses I fix the environment so they don't get fungus breakouts or thing like that. Only thing I have a problem with is the bald spots on the horses, and that due to old age or my little rascals biting each other.

I can't answer ur question.

Have you or do you use MTG on your own hair?

Queenie

MeccaMedinah said:
Good question, DD. I've wondered the same. I think that this happened to me when I stopped using Surge :ohwell:

I am so glad that you said this, I've been thinking about starting a thread on this. My hair has been shedding tremendously since I stopped using Surge. The first six months it barely grew and then it started growing at the normal rate and the shedding fest began (the past 3 months). I've had major shedding since then. :mad: I really believe it was SURGE!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

NoNapNique

Here are my thoughts...

When you decide to discontinue - as with ANYTHING you stop taking for a particular reason - there is a re-adjustment period (hair will shed or break for a short time). As your system - scalp and hair follicles - gets used to not having that support, you will have to just "re-teach" it to get used to a new way of thriving... And it is probably not a good idea to stop ANYTHING cold turkey... You will want to slowly wean off of things. That is what I plan to do as I get closer to my goal. I plan to do it with my health supplements, as well as the topical stuff. Then once I regulate things, and let my hair know who's boss, it will no choice but to get used to my NEW way of doing things... LIFE-LONG maintenance and care will take over (versus the current no-holds-barred, take-no-prisoners approach :lol: )... And when I notice breakage or shedding, I will do what's necessary to stop it (garlic shampoo, aphogee, etc.). But I will continue with very little heat, bunning, no mechanical stress... and deep cond., moisture, oiling.

SexySin985

divine said:
Yes, but for only two months now. My horses and I use most the the same products anyway.[/QUOTE]

Just curious, but what other products are you and ur horses using, if you don't mind me asking :)

Queenie

NoNapNique said:
Here are my thoughts...

... And when I notice breakage or shedding, I will do what's necessary to stop it (garlic shampoo, aphogee, etc.). But I will continue with very little heat, bunning, no mechanical stress... and deep cond., moisture, oiling.

FYI: The garlic remedy is not working with my shedding. :mad: Normally, it makes a tremendous difference.

Cowgirl

DDHair said:
After being in a thread (and I don't remember who said it) and a young lady questioned the side effects of MTG and then reading some posts and then my sister mentioning possible side effects (because with the Original Mane & Tail, my cousin, who is a horse trainer said that the leave-in conditioner that everyone was so wild about, was not causing the hair to grow, but actually strecthing the length to appear longer, which would come in handy for horse shows)[/B], I got to thinking maybe MTG will have some major side effects, I know that sulfur will jack up your jewelry, because Sulfur 8 tarnished my ring a few times, but I am not liking what you guys said it does to the skin and the scalp with the flaking etc. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=65188&highlight=side+effects+mtg and in the end what I am wondering is will your hair fall out once you discontinue use, I just got to thinking about how the people on the Shapley's site seemed to have to continue using the product for the horse to continue looking good, even after they thought the horse was in tip top shape, they seemed to have noticed a possible reoccurrence of the bad happenings and once they stopped using MTG and then they had to go back and make MTG a permenant part of their horses regimen, for things to start looking good again. Because truth be told, once my hair gets to my goal, I will not be using the stuff anymore and if my hair starts shedding because I have discontinued usage, well I am just not trying to have that or be dependent on the chemical. Oh and by the way, what I said about the Monistat, even though I still don't see me using it, I could see that if it has the same ingredients to stop fungus such as products like MTG, it possibly could work to strengthen hair. But being as though it seems that none of us have used MTG for longer than some months, has anyone experienced hair coming out once you discontinued use?

I think most people are using the original MNT not so much for faster growth but because it's a good protein conditioner. For those that have hair that thrives on weekly protein, this is a good conditioner. I use the original MNT shampoo and conditioner on all of my horses and I like it. I have never really noticed any stretching in length of the mane or tail. That would be hard to do unless you are saturating the mane/tail with the whole bottle.

I have used Shapley's MTG on my horses for years to remedy skin issues, I have never had to continue use in a certain area to keep the problem from returning. Once the problem was gone it was gone. As Divine said, if MTG horse users are having to continue use of the product then whatever caused the initial problem has not been remediated.
As for the human use, I can't speak to because I don't use it on my hair. I seriously thought about it but I just can't get pass the smoked bacon smell. But I don't see why discontinuing use would cause the hair to fall out. As Nique stated, it would probably be a good idea to wean yourself off of it so your hair can gradually get use to the new environment.

MeccaMedinah

This is good thinking, IMO.:)

NoNapNique said:
Here are my thoughts...

When you decide to discontinue - as with ANYTHING you stop taking for a particular reason - there is a re-adjustment period (hair will shed or break for a short time). As your system - scalp and hair follicles - gets used to not having that support, you will have to just "re-teach" it to get used to a new way of thriving... And it is probably not a good idea to stop ANYTHING cold turkey... You will want to slowly wean off of things. That is what I plan to do as I get closer to my goal. I plan to do it with my health supplements, as well as the topical stuff. Then once I regulate things, and let my hair know who's boss, it will no choice but to get used to my NEW way of doing things... LIFE-LONG maintenance and care will take over (versus the current no-holds-barred, take-no-prisoners approach :lol: )... And when I notice breakage or shedding, I will do what's necessary to stop it (garlic shampoo, aphogee, etc.). But I will continue with very little heat, bunning, no mechanical stress... and deep cond., moisture, oiling.

DDHair

Goodness I am glad to hear all of this, because I was getting concerned and my bottle should be arriving today. I use the Straight Arrow Mane & Tail Leave In almost daily too, I don't know if the formula has changed any, but I think what my cousin was saying is that if you wanted a quick lengthy look then that's the product, but as far as using it over time then I am sure there's not a problem because it is a good conditioner, I guess just don't expect overnight miracles, like some of us were doing. I notice that conditioner helps my hair not to draw up so quickly period, so maybe that's it. I don't know, but to the horse groomers, it's good to hear from you, your knowledge is appreciated.

ekomba

i used mtg around june 24 for 2 months straight with braids and gain 3 inches and removed the braids. i did experience elasticity and replenishment of hairline (baby hairs). The original bottle lasted me exactly 2 months. After removing the cornrows, i posted that somewhere i experienced a lot of shedding the first couple of days. a lot i would just touch the ends and it would shed. I was first alarmed for a couple of days because it was a lot. But i had elasticity like i said and i never had such a growth 3 inch in 2 month that 1.5 inch per month. I took pix and will post as soon as my camera film finishes as i m recording my progress over a 6 month period . And will post everything .but i dont know if the culprit of the shedding was also the braids kept for 2 months usually its not a problem as i only grow 0.25 to 0.5 a month and never that amount. So maybe the hair not combed shed but it did shed a lot like i would touch the ends and its the ends that would come out. But after 1week no more shedding so i did cornrows for 1 month and as i did not have MTG i only used vitamins regimen and conditionner washes after removing the cornrows so it s been 2 months that i was MTG free and my hair was soft, did not shed anymore easy to comb and i m 4b natural i just use VO5 cond (either kiwi lime clarifying, free me freesia or strawberries and cream) i have now 6 inches in the back and middle and less in the front and hairline i dont do no cornrows and plait every 3 days and co wash every 3 days. i reordered MTG and started using straight instead of diluted with an applicator bottle i started oct 7. its been a week i can see progress i took again pix what i do is like 12-16 plaits and then put mtg on the scalp massage and all day keep my plastic cap and satin bonnet even at night and every morning put some Mtg on my scalp and back my cap then on the 3rd day cond wash the hair is so soft not shedding at all so i think you have to always detangle and now i can even comb my hair dry for me mtg is a keeper. and another thing if you experience scaling of the skin or any irritation stop using you may be allergic to it because me if mtg drip on my back i dont experience no scaling or anything. it just burns the eyes a lil bit when i wash my hair so in the shower i just bend backwards to rinse the cond. And my hair is softer and shrink less but i do take vitamins and 12,000 mg of MSM/ sulfur by carlson (it contains 3000mg ofMSM and 1,002mg of sulfur in it)i take 4 scoops=12,000mg MSM and 4024 just started taking that this week so maybe thats what contributing to making hair shrink less and be soft , i also take PP biotin (6MG), VITOL hair skin nails, freeda silica and nature made super b complex. i think its for me the combination of everything that contribute to the retaining of growth. But the side effects to me are visible as soon as you apply it if its not working when you try a patch test area live it alone, scaling is not normal. sorry did not mean to be so long

Last edited:

DDHair

No that was a really great message, thank you so much. Now that you mention the allergy thing you are right, because people who are sensitive to sulfur like my co-worker who would like to try the MTG when I get it, but sulfur had her in the hospital for months last year, so it's good to know to tell her no to the MTG, even though she is having hair problems from taking medication for this sulfur problem last year. I am not hardly allergic to sulfur or anything like that, just dust and cats, so maybe I won't have any concerns, I will pray on that for real.

PatTodd

I stopped using MTG once I learned I was pregnant and I did not notice any additional shedding. However, some ladies' hair does not shed while they are pregnant anyway...

NYRICAN1

I also noticed shedding of my ends more now that I am using MTG. I use it everyday would you guys suggest that I use it less? could this be the cause of my shedding?

Lovelylocs

I think it is important that we clarify the difference between shedding and breaking for the new members in this post. Shedding means that the hair is coming out at the roots. The hairs are usually longer (if u have medium to long hair) and sometimes u will see a little white bulb on the end. Breakage is when the ends of the hair break off...lol... I cant think of a better way to define it... can someone help me out please?

I dont use MTG. So, I dont really know about breakage and shedding being caused by it.

I agree with the ladies who suspect that Surge made their hair come out. I tested surge in a small area of my scalp and that area is thin now. This is just too coincidental to me.

LadyZ

This will be interesting... I used MTG for 2 and 1/2 months... I have not used it for 2 months... It seems as though I am doing a lot of shedding... and My touch-ups only last 3 weeks top... then to keep my hair looking nice, I would need to flat iron it... but I don't, I just bun it all the time... I would like to hear from others who have stopped using it... but like everything else... everyone will have different results, some good , some bad... I won't know if I have gained any length or not until the 2nd on November... Mtg may be a miracle product... but it will probably have some negative results for some... I am trying my own way to gain and retain length...MTG free... I may use it again don't know yet...
But it does change your hair... and relaxers don't last long enough... oh well,
you have to take the good with the bad... nothing is perfect...

I want to hear more on this subject...:look:

DDHair

And then you know since it is growing so fast, maybe it is shedding just as fast, which can be common when you experience spurts of growth or seasons change etc.