Thinning Edges***Desperate Need of Help**

Aussie

Im sooooo LOST........... im so lost I dont know what to do. For some reason Ive tried everything to grow my edges back. They are getting lighter and lighter. Soon I will have bald spots. *tear*.... please help me find a solution. If its a product you KNOW that works... not THINK that works then please PM me or reply to this post. I know there is hope out there somewhere.

Things Ive tried:
Nioxin Follicle Booster

ORS Temple Balm

Dr Miracale Temple and Grow

Essential Oils(rosemary lavendar ylang pepperment)

Cayenne Pepper

MTG

Wild Growth Oil

The list goes on.............. PLEASE HELP!!:wallbash: The rest of my hair is fine... its mainly my temple area. PLEASE...

KPH

House Head
have you tried using sulfur 8? you know it's always best to go grandma old school

Nonie

I haven't used BT but so many people swear by it. It has sulphur/sulfur in it so if you haven't tried sulfur maybe that's one way to go?

Also how are your styling your hair? Pulling or brushing hair back isn't a good idea. Tying scarves so they are your hairline could also cause friction on hair line and lead to thinning; better to tie them lower, closer to eyebrows.

Then there's the Essential Oil Blend that some of us swear by.

scoobygirl

I don't have any product suggestions that are 100% effective but I would suggest one thing. In your profile it says you are relaxed, with fine hair (my hair is fine too) the relaxer can do a number on those edges. I think you should skip your edges when you relax (until the growth comes back), or only relax those edges every 2nd or 3rd relaxer. I also make sure before I get a touch up, my edges are are very protected with a thick oil.

graCeful_89

have you tried using sulfur 8? you know it's always best to go grandma old school

I know thats right! Grandma always knows best. :yep:

Edit: Hey, what about castor oil? I used to do my hair with that when I was a child (before the creamy crack) and I had the longest hair ever

Last edited:

PassionFruit

WHAT DEFINITELY WORKS ON 1 HEAD MAY NOT WORK ON YOURS...

What are doing to your edges now?? Do you know the cause of the thinning?? How long did you use the other things you've tried??

Aussie

I would like to thank all my hair sisters that replied:dance7:...

Now to answer all questions.....

I used sulfur 8 for about 3 weeks to a month but after reading that it had petroleum and mineral oil in it I stopped using it. Didnt see a difference in my hair or edges.

I just ordered my BT yesterday so I will be using it as my seal oil... (UNLESS ANYONE ELSE CAN TELL ME BETTER WAYS TO USE IT FOR MY EDGES)

I was a natural for 2 yrs and my edges were still thin. When I became a relaxed head again my first relaxer was Aug 2007... second Jan 2008... Third will be this week April 2008 (13 1/2 week post) because my newgrowth is sumthin serious:hair: so I dont think relaxing is the problem since I wait for a while. O and best believe I do a nice Vaseline base...

What kind of Castor Oil would you recommend and where can I find it?? What can that do for my edges?? and How should I apply??

I made a curly wig that I wear so my hair has low manipulation anyway. All i do is wear the wig to work and every other day I moisturize my edges and sometimes my hair. I wear a satin wrap around my edges with the wig and wen i take it off. I dont wear pony tails period because I have a big head and it doesnt look right. so noooo I dont think thats it either. Wear a scarf to sleep too. Thinning is in my family mom side however that is because they didnt grow up in the US. So their products werent as advanced as we have now. My lil sister hair is fine because I take care of her hair. My mom took care of mine....see the difference:perplexed?? My lil sister got a LHCF pro while I got BLUE MAGIC!! lol.

Last but not least MN?? If that is the vagina cream then ill pass for right now. I just recently (like 20 mins ago) went and bought Hairobics Hair Booster and Leave-In. So I will be using these products along with my BT when it gets here. I will keep everyone posted. But I loveeee suggestions and questions so please feel free to help a sista out. THANKS!!!:theteam:

SmartyPants

Boundless Tresses is not designed to be a seal oil. It's a growth aid. You are supposed to put it directly on the scalp--NOT on your hair. There have been reports of BT drying out your hair if you do not also use a moisturizer. DO NOT... I repeat... DO NOT use Boundless Tresses to seal moisture into your hair.

That said, putting BT directly on the thinning sides should do the trick as long as you are also not putting additional stress on your edges (like tying a scarf around your edges).

Ms.Honey

BT. My daughter who has naturally thin hair above the sideburn area hair started to bald there. She has been using BT daily and it's no longer bald and is growing in really thick. You would not know that she had naturally thin hair in that area.

Hair Iam

Last but not least MN?? If that is the vagina cream then ill pass for right now. ]

sorry but thats funny ...

But frankly..I think you should be carefull not to do too much , your hair is fine and too much product could have an adverse effect.

nomadpixi

Just out of curiosity, if your edges were thin when natural, is it possible it's hormonal? Check with your doctor to just make sure it's not something like PCOS or something. I don't have 100% guarantees either, but for PCOS, Omega 3,6,9 and/or Evening Primrose Oil is supposed to help. What helped me is localized MTG and coconut oil/vatika massages. I do happen to take Omega 3,6,9 but I use it for my skin.

It's a good idea to check these things out, just to narrow down the cause.

HTH

Aussie

thank you all so much... i will be using Hairobics booster, Hairobics Leave-In, and BT(wen it gets here) for a month(to measure results). I guess too much product can kill so that is the only thing I will be using. I pray to see results because what is the point of long hair if you have no edges?? hummm hummmm hmmmm.. lol thanks again.

Still BUMPITY BUMP BUMPIN:wallbash:.... for more replies:grin:

Aussie

BT. My daughter who has naturally thin hair above the sideburn area hair started to bald there. She has been using BT daily and it's no longer bald and is growing in really thick. You would not know that she had naturally thin hair in that area.

How long has she been using it? and how does she apply it to her scalp? I will PM you just in case....

Ms.Honey

she was using it sporadically for about a month.The she started using it everynight about a week and a half or two weeks ago she says after I hollered at her which I do not recall doing:look: but hey don't be playing around with my hair products:sad:. And it's really filling in and getting thicker. I wish I had a before pic(I'll see if she has some that shows the area) but I'll send you a during and an after once she's finished.

marygrove013

I tried New Chapter Hair Rush in the past & it seemed to help...Also, Nexxus Biotin Creme but I'm not sure of where to purchase this anymore...You can get the Hair Rush for Better Health Vitamin Store, if it's not on the store they will order it for you..

betty-boo

I've had this problem before.

Satin bonnet
What I found that helps is - not tying hair with a satin scarf but using a satin bonnet. This doesn't put as much pressure on your edges and doesn't rub up against them all night.

Moisturiser & castor oil
I used sulphur followed by castor oil twice a day and then I started using surge, followed by castor oil twice a day. Surge was rubbed in very gently and castor oil was patted on top.

Don't relax these areas
Stop relaxing those areas if you can do it. I have not relaxed those areas now for over a year. Yes it looked a bit crazy at first, but I found ways to get it to lay flat, so it was neat.

No pulling or combing/brushing
Don't pull the fine hair in these areas back (as in - back into a ponytail). I now finger comb them downwards (towards the ear).

I don't brush or comb them - just finger comb and flatten!

Facial soap
Keep facial soap away from your edges too (if you use facial soap - i've stopped)- use a nice band to keep hair away, while you're washing your face.

Patience
These areas take longer than the rest of your head too, because its so delicate - so expect anything up to 2 and a half years before they're back thick again. ( I did a poll here, and this is how long people said it would take)

I really think consistency is the key.

People now don't believe that my edges were ever thin. They are now short, but thick and growing - no bald spots anymore!

HTH

InnerSoul

I don't have any product suggestions that are 100% effective but I would suggest one thing. In your profile it says you are relaxed, with fine hair (my hair is fine too) the relaxer can do a number on those edges. I think you should skip your edges when you relax (until the growth comes back), or only relax those edges every 2nd or 3rd relaxer. I also make sure before I get a touch up, my edges are are very protected with a thick oil.

that was my culprit too.. my front hairline kept receding... then when I stopped relaxing those edges with every retouch... it filled back in nicely.

Aussie

thank u so much ladies... u all have helped in a magnificent way. I will begin a Grow Back Edge challenge for myself. I will be using my Hairobics Booster, Hairobics Leave-in, and BT.

Yesterday i relaxed me hair (pic in fotki soon) and did my edges just b4 they went under water to rinse. so they are not straight but not bushy either. I will be consistent for about 2 months and hopefully I will have some great b4 and after pix.

thanks again my hair sisters!!!

Bumping for more suggestions... :)grin: the more the better)

Also which Castor Oil brand is best?

Aussie

Also I am in love with my Hairobics products... WOW!! my hair never felt so moisturized and fresh. Lol my sister said my hair smells like peppermint:grin:

Aussie

what did that do for you?? and isnt that like minoxidl? i heard alot can go wrong with that. ill stick to the others for right now... thanks

Rumplestiltskin

BT has also helped restore my edges..I suggest that you put it in the temple area daily if your hair can take it and massage it in.

It took me two bottles worth before I actually saw results so dont get discouraged. Dont get me wrong I saw results everywhere else but my temples caught on last:ohwell:.

I also began to do overnight prepoos with AMLA oil atleast 1-2 a week.

I saw a big difference.

Stay encouraged and please abstain from chemical service on those edges..if you have to try every other time as suggested by another member.

Last but not least PRAY ABOUT IT..

Aussie

:grin:thank u so much. u kno what i have never prayed about my hair. well wen i was little but not now. hummm maybe I will. God answers all my other prayers so why not. Also wat is ALMA oil?? is that like castor oil?

Bumpity Bump Bump:wallbash:

les artistes

wow thanks for this thread i think im gonna buy a bottle of Boundless Tresses and post my progress i have the worst edges ever

Aussie

ok thats great. i kno this is an ongoing problem for alot of people that is why i wanted to start a thread instead of posting in previous ones. hope you get much success and update us!! I know I am

les artistes

...........ok after trying to check out i saw the final total...
$22.75...for one bottle...no mam
soo i'm just gonna try and make my own
found the recipe..and im on it! lol

Aussie

YEA....it is hard to find natural products that are cheap. This is like my "test" bottle which will allow me to see if the BT is worth more of my PJin. But it is wat it is.... My PJness has calmed down for a while so this is my treat lol. Hope ur mix still brings you results. :grin:

Also there is Hairobics that is a hair products line made of 100% natural products. They have a site too with an oil that you can probably use. Some stores carry the line(which would probably be cheaper because there is no shipping and handling) so just goggle it or check around. HTH