This may be a dumb question, but is your natural anniversary....

What is your natural anniversary start date?

• Date of your last relaxer

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • Date of your Big Chop

Votes: 88 73.3%
  • Some other date

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

maxineshaw

Not a dumb question at all. I count the date of my big chop (10-6-07).

I know some people count from their last relaxer. I think that's just backwards. I mean, you didn't even have any new growth, and you still have relaxer in your hair. But whatever.

Diva_Esq

Not a dumb question at all. I count the date of my big chop (10-6-07).

I know some people count from their last relaxer. I think that's just backwards. I mean, you didn't even have any new growth, and you still have relaxer in your hair. But whatever.

Good point. Didn't think about that.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I count from my BC. If you transition to the point that you are fully natural, then it would be OK to count that before you BC.:yep: Since, I only transitioned 4 and a half months, I couldn't say the same for me.:lachen:

Tylove101

I said for date of last relaxer, simply because of the confusion when you see someone that transitioned for a year then BC-ed showing you their 6 month nappiversary, I think WOW all of that in 6 months?

I guess if its clearly stated when they transitioned then from the date of the BC...
me too.. I count the date of my last relaxer too for that same reason. With that said, I'm coming up on 3 years of natural hair growth in July.

Ms.Christ3n

I count from the BC because that's when I was fully natural. I would love to say it from my last relaxer but that isn't quite right.

Zaz

So did you do it? I remember you being about at far along as I am (may 2009) so I'm curious as to how much natural hair you'd have at this point.
And if you did, pictures please :grin:

Solitude

i count from the bc. so feb 2011 i'd say that its my one year natural anniversary. but i'd let people know that i have 24 months of natural growth. so people won't get confused and discouraged thinking i grew 12 inches of hair in just a year. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Yeah, sometimes I see people who have been "natural for 1 month" but they have APL hair and I'm like, "huh?" until I realize they were counting from the day they "chopped."

I think if I ever transition I would like to count from the day of my last relaxer because transitioning for 1 year, 2 years, etc. is a lot of time that should count for something! lol I would never do a BC, so it would take me forever to claim being natural. Thinking of myself as natural would probably be a lot of motivation, versus waiting for the last centimeter of relaxer hair to be gone.

Of course, the people who have actually done it are the authority on the subject.

NikStarrr

I think people are confusing the nappiversary as a way to measure length and that's not what it is. It's commemorating a special date. When people get married, they're anniversary date is the day they got married, not the day they met.

When I'm answering questions regarding length--I give the full amount of time that has elapsed plus my transition time (so I have about 34 months of natural hair). But that is still not my nappiversary.

Last edited:

Neek-a-Nator

I think people are confusing the nappiversary as a way to measure length and that's not what it is. It's commemorating a special date. When people get married, they're anniversary date is the day they got married, not the day they met.

When I'm answering questions regarding length--I give the full amount of time that has elapsed plus my transition time (so I have about 34 months of natural hair). But that is still not my nappiversary.
Perfect analogy NikStar. You are not natural until all permed ends are removed so I count the BC as the first day of being natural which is entirely different than how long it took to gain x amount of hair.

Ms.Christ3n

Yeah, sometimes I see people who have been "natural for 1 month" but they have APL hair and I'm like, "huh?" until I realize they were counting from the day they "chopped."

I must be mischievous because I like seeing the confusion in their faces :lachen:
Of course if they asked how it got so long, I would tell them I transitioned.
(or to be mischievous yet again, tell them "my secret growth oil, but I'll sell it to you for 17.98,gurl... it really works" ):rolleyes:

Enyo

I said my last relaxer, because I did not "big chop". I did slow trims. It took me about 2 years.

Same for me. However, it took me about 1 year. For me, my "nappiversary" is about the day my MIND changed about the "need" for relaxers. That's much more important and profound than the day I cut trimmed my relaxed ends.

ETA: I can't even remember the month that I trimmed my last relaxed end. It was that small of of a deal.

Last edited:

Diva_Esq

So did you do it? I remember you being about at far along as I am (may 2009) so I'm curious as to how much natural hair you'd have at this point.
And if you did, pictures please :grin:

Yes! I am posting pics and making a thread! :D I'll post the link in here shortly.

Good Luck on your BC Diva_Esq. Proud of you!

Thanks, sis!!!!!!!! :)

Perfect analogy NikStar. You are not natural until all permed ends are removed so I count the BC as the first day of being natural which is entirely different than how long it took to gain x amount of hair.

I agree, NikStar! Great way to explain it! I tell people I've been married 12 years, together 18!

Hairsofab

I calculate from my date of last relaxer. That is truly when the growth you are counting starts. I hate when I see people say the've been natural for 6 months and they have like 3 years growth on their head. Its like come on. If your last relaxer was 3 years ago, just say that.

manegoal

My last relaxer was Jan 2005 but I consider April my anniversary month because that's when I could clearly see my new growth.

PearlyCurly

I agree 100%!!!

I do think that it is misleading to claim that you have only been 100% natural for 4 months(4m since BC) and to not tell that you had transition for 3yrs. BUT it is also very misleading to claim that you have been natural for 3yrs & 4 mths when really you choped off your relaxed ends just 4mths ago.

IMO, when you count from the last time you had a relaxer you are basically claiming that you were natural the entire time you were transitioning(whether its a month or 10). Which is bizarre to me:look:
There is a reason for transitioning, To transition from Unnatural to Natural hair.
There is also a reason for the "Big Chop" because you are still NOT natural and you need to chop off those Unnatural ends to become natural.

So when you finally finish transitioning and cut off those relaxed ends then I think that is when you should start counting the days/months/or years till your NappyVersary.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Big Chop. I only "transitioned" for 10 weeks

Lucky's Mom

I have never really thought about it. My last relaxer was November 1998. I guess that was a big deal to me... so...

ThePerfectScore

I count both... I have my transition anniversary (last relaxer) and I have my BC anniversary (100% natural).... When I BC'ed I wasn't bald. I had almost years worth of curl

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I know the date of my last relaxer, but I count the day I BC'd as my nappiversary. Most people don't know that their last relaxer is going to be the last relaxer until after they have decided that at some point they plan on losing the relaxed ends to be natural. So to me it wouldn't make sense to claim the relaxer date because at the time of that relaxer, you were probably thinking of getting another one again at some point.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I count from my BC date but I will sometimes post my last relaxer date in addition to my BC date because I transitioned for about five months.