This Shedding is Starting to Scare Me!

MizaniMami

I have been shedding like a dog for the last month.:( It's not breakage it's shedding, so I know a product isn't going to nec. help me. It is internal. I quit my MSM, I started dieting (I cut out fried foods, beef, and pork except for fat free hot dogs), and I quit my Birth control patch. So I know it has to be one of those things or a combination of all of them.

Every since I stopped taking my birth control the smell of vitamins are making me nauseous. My hormones are craaaazy! I can't even chug them down like I used to. I want to start taking an iron supplement (especially since I cut out a lot of meats) and get back on the MSM wagon, but I can't right now.:perplexed I'm feeling nauseous just thinking about taking vitamins. I tried taking a break for about a month and my growth slowed. What is a girl to do?

Thanks for letting me vent ladies. I'm scared all the thickness that I am gaining is going right down the drain, literally :( .

Isis

Well, first you'll want to be as stress-free as possible, practicing deep breathing and meditation.

Perhaps starting on the most important vitamins, even if the smell is nauseating will be of help, such as your B vitamins and C. If you needed iron before, you don't want to cut that one out.

You mentioned your hormones. An imbalance can certainly cause shedding as can pregnancy. If you're not pregnant, you may want to talk with your gyn about natural progesterone, which brings balance to hormones for females (males too) of all ages. There's a thread in the OT forum about this.

MizaniMami

Isis said:
Well, first you'll want to be as stress-free as possible, practicing deep breathing and meditation.

Perhaps starting on the most important vitamins, even if the smell is nauseating will be of help, such as your B vitamins and C. If you needed iron before, you don't want to cut that one out.

You mentioned your hormones. An imbalance can certainly cause shedding as can pregnancy. If you're not pregnant, you may want to talk with your gyn about natural progesterone, which brings balance to hormones for females (males too) of all ages. There's a thread in the OT forum about this.

Thanks Isis, Does that make you gain weight? I know adding hormones often make you gain "female" weight such as extra breast and stomach, and that's EXACTLY what I am trying to avoid.

Aliajp, I was thinking of an iron test but never thought about a thyroid test. I will def. look into that. Thank you.

felicia

i feel your pain. i don't know what to do about it either, but i've heard that ppl sometimes shed like crazy when they stop bcp. so maybe it's only temporary?

JustKiya

If you started shedding AFTER you stopped the patch - that is most likely the root cause. The patch was pumping your body with hormones - rather similar to being pregnant. Once you stopped using it, your body stopped getting those hormones, and you are basically experiencing 'post partum' shedding - just like you would after having a baby.
You will most likely just haveto slog through the shedding - or go back on the patch.....

Good Luck

MizaniMami

nappywomyn said:
If you started shedding AFTER you stopped the patch - that is most likely the root cause. The patch was pumping your body with hormones - rather similar to being pregnant. Once you stopped using it, your body stopped getting those hormones, and you are basically experiencing 'post partum' shedding - just like you would after having a baby.
You will most likely just haveto slog through the shedding - or go back on the patch.....

Good Luck

Oh goodness, will it ever go away?! Is it somethiing I can do? I can't afford to go back on the patch, literally. They raised the price 20 bucks at my school, and I don't have it like that. Plus the chances that I get "some" are slim to null.:lol:

Well I talked to my doc about checking my iron and my thyroid and I will go in on Wednesday. Iw ill update you ladies!

MizaniMami

No I didn't try the garlic, yet.

I think my problem is internal. I want to make sure everything is functioning okay (iron levels and thyroid) before I go for actual products.

I was reading on inactive thyroids and I think I got all the symptoms. Maybe it is my "hypochondriac" side-the weight gaining, everything!:perplexed

leleepop

Leave that patch alone too! I keep seeing lawyers with commercials telling woman to sue if they suffer strokes and other terrifing things. I just had to tell you but I know you said you stopped anyway.Good luck

Maybe the patch had disrupted your hormones to such a degree that as you come down to your normal balance your hair is sheddding, i think you should see a doctor about this and have some tests done, but whatever you do dont use that patch again , just today i saw a commercial for a laywer who was asking if youve had stroke , heart attack etc, while on the patch then call this #, scary, also, if they put u on hormones, you may gain "female weight" such as breast weight but tummy weight is not female weight, its actually considered androgenic weight i think, so u shouldnt gain that from female hormones or whatever they might prescribe, just see a doc...:)

Mizani_Mrs

I think the patch is dangerous to those who smoke or those who have thyroid or heart problems. anyhoo, MM don't be so worried about it. I mean of course you should consult a doc if you think things are bad. I been thru the exact same thing. I quit the pill in late feb and from march thru july my shedding was quite scary. especially because i NEVER saw shedded hairs on the regular when i was on the pill. it is due to a hormonal change...it is also the same situation when a lady first goes on bc pills...she will start shedding because of the extra horomones. Plus I was stressed out because i was counting down the days to my wedding! so i was under alot of stress. I was just trying to be calm about it and put it into perspective and not freak out. and no i never noticed thin hair, it will not be noticeable. so dont worry about that (though i was worried at first). I began taking MSM powder to curb the shedding and it has worked...it has slowed down alot but it still hasn't stopped completely. but i feel confident that it will in a few months. then i will wean myself off of the MSM. So don't fret, my dear... And i'm proud of you for 'not gettin some'....u needs ta be in those books and only worried about gettin A's (sounding like an old lady...) :lol:

MizaniMami

Mizani_Mrs said:
I think the patch is dangerous to those who smoke or those who have thyroid or heart problems. anyhoo, MM don't be so worried about it. I mean of course you should consult a doc if you think things are bad. I been thru the exact same thing. I quit the pill in late feb and from march thru july my shedding was quite scary. especially because i NEVER saw shedded hairs on the regular when i was on the pill. it is due to a hormonal change...it is also the same situation when a lady first goes on bc pills...she will start shedding because of the extra horomones. Plus I was stressed out because i was counting down the days to my wedding! so i was under alot of stress. I was just trying to be calm about it and put it into perspective and not freak out. and no i never noticed thin hair, it will not be noticeable. so dont worry about that (though i was worried at first). I began taking MSM powder to curb the shedding and it has worked...it has slowed down alot but it still hasn't stopped completely. but i feel confident that it will in a few months. then i will wean myself off of the MSM. So don't fret, my dear... And i'm proud of you for 'not gettin some'....u needs ta be in those books and only worried about gettin A's (sounding like an old lady...) :lol:

Don't get too proud just yet! I didn't say NOTHING at all.;) :lol:

Anyways, ladies I see those commercials too. That was one of the reason that I wanted off of the patch. As a matter of fact I wanted to get off of hormonal birth control for a while now.

I get some tests done on wednesday. You ladies will be the first to know how they come out.

MelsWifey

Hair Fanatic
I wouldn't be too concerned MM. I too just stopped taking birth control and I am shedding way more than usual. I will say that it is nothing like post partum shedding (because as of now I still have my hair line), but it is bad.

I'm sure that soon it will pass for the both of us, and our bodies can regualte itself.