This stretch around i notice....

Lilmama1011

Many of us may notice that each time we stretch our relaxer it is different from the last stretch. Some may notice coarser hair growing in, softer new growth, drier new growth, more shedding, less shedding and etc.
I have noticed and my new growth never is like this especially being that I'm 11 weeks and 3 days my new growth seems to be very manageable. I had did a curl former set and it was old in three days old and just decided to take my hands to the root and see how dry it was and it literally just went through like nothing and the only time I ran in to the slightest tangle was at the ends. My new growth was always dry and I never could get a my fingers through it at several months, that is so shocking to me and I must be doing something right. My question to you ladies is what have you noticed this stretch?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I'm not trying to jinx it but I'm going on 8 weeks and didn't even notice it. My texture is pretty much the same and I'm using a new moisturizer which is making it easier. I also noticed that air drying isn't a nightmare this time around and I think that's because I'm getting more patience but also sticking with the same products.

I've been using more ceramides and that has been helping too.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

Lilmama1011

I think for me it's from using the wen cleansing conditioner for two weeks straight instead of the Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus shampoo every week (because I thought because it was moisturizing it wouldn't dry it out so much) so I think that added more moisture, but then again it could be the Shea moisture curl and style milk moisturizer I use daily or it could be the deep conditioner I used last weekend I don't know to be honest. I haven't had the guts to run my hands through my new growth because I always expected it to be a total wreck but randomly decided to do it and was very surprised

Lilmama1011

Still going well for me surprisingly . I had a great wash until i use curl formers and ripped my ends off a section SMH now I'm around here stressing and looking at it, and I'm trying so hard to grow the back after I had suffered a set back, I am so pi$$ed!!!

brittle_hair

I hope its a setback you recover from quickly!

I'm 9 weeks post and I noticed this stretch that I can blowdry weekly without ridiculous amounts of breakage because the affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor strengthens my hair to the point where its not so fragile which means the relaxed hair isn't breaking off where it meets the new growth, even with the tension from the blow dryer.

From blow drying weekly my roots don't feel as coily and so I don't feel desperate to relax. I also think my hair, when smoothed in to a bun doesn't look like it is due a relaxer, so I might make it to 12 weeks this time, depending on how quickly I get bored of bunning...

AlliCat

I'm also 9 weeks post and this stretch I have a lot more texture at the roots due to under processing my last relaxer. This makes detangling a little tougher.. but Not getting a corrective, just gonna stick it out until my next touch up

Lilmama1011

I'm also 9 weeks post and this stretch I have a lot more texture at the roots due to under processing my last relaxer. This makes detangling a little tougher.. but Not getting a corrective, just gonna stick it out until my next touch up

AlliCat how long you going to?

Lilmama1011

I hope its a setback you recover from quickly!

I'm 9 weeks post and I noticed this stretch that I can blowdry weekly without ridiculous amounts of breakage because the affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor strengthens my hair to the point where its not so fragile which means the relaxed hair isn't breaking off where it meets the new growth, even with the tension from the blow dryer.

From blow drying weekly my roots don't feel as coily and so I don't feel desperate to relax. I also think my hair, when smoothed in to a bun doesn't look like it is due a relaxer, so I might make it to 12 weeks this time, depending on how quickly I get bored of bunning...

brittle_hair it seems like the curl formers or the devil because you pull and sometimes don't feel it. I had did curls and I'm asking my SO can he see where it broke off and to be honest i can't tell which part, probably not until my next wash. Because when it broke i held it out and the back is shorter anyways but it didnt look as bad as I thought but i know it does being that I ripped like three inches. Butt he said he ain't trying to see it because he going to get mad. Him and I want me to have long hair and it won't be a a huge setback anyway because its a mll section, but because I know it hope mend I'm thinking about it

DominicanBrazilian82

I'm not trying to jinx it but I'm going on 8 weeks and didn't even notice it. My texture is pretty much the same and I'm using a new moisturizer which is making it easier. I also noticed that air drying isn't a nightmare this time around and I think that's because I'm getting more patience but also sticking with the same products.

I've been using more ceramides and that has been helping too.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

Ceramides are nature's little hair care gifts! They are so helpful and nourishing. Wouldn't be able to stretch 20 weeks without them :)

DominicanBrazilian82

This time around, my 3rd consecutive 20 week stretch, I've noticed ease in manageability. I'm not a big co-washer or m/s'er. My regiment is simple and includes weekly stretching (rollersetting). I usually steam an oil and conditioner on dry hair, poo wash, in-shower conditioner, leave in, set and wrap. This lasts 4-5 days. I will bun until I wash again once the set dies.

The one hang up that I have this stretch is that I under processed last November (end of my first 20 week stretch), so I have new growth, straight hair and then under processed hair. Will correct when I relax 8/31.

image-3219646511.jpg

image-3861079588.jpg

image-3954214610.jpg

These are how my hair looks when stretched. As you can see, the under processed part isn't as smooth as the rest of my set.

Eiano

Going on week 10 and my new growth is THICK and not as fragile near the demarcation line, especially in my crown where I usually get all of my breakage.

The only difference is MSM added to my daily regimen... I continue to take my Nature's Bounty HS&N with 5000 mcg of Biotin

Lissa0821

I would have to agree with DominicanBrazilian82 ceramides have been a game changer for me. I am only 6 weeks but my new gorwth is soft and easy to comb through since I have gone back to overnight prepoos with grapeseed and sunflower seed oil.

I have gone back to sulfate shampoos as well. My newgrowth is very happy about that as well.

brittle_hair

@brittle_hair it seems like the curl formers or the devil because you pull and sometimes don't feel it. I had did curls and I'm asking my SO can he see where it broke off and to be honest i can't tell which part, probably not until my next wash. Because when it broke i held it out and the back is shorter anyways but it didnt look as bad as I thought but i know it does being that I ripped like three inches. Butt he said he ain't trying to see it because he going to get mad. Him and I want me to have long hair and it won't be a a huge setback anyway because its a mll section, but because I know it hope mend I'm thinking about it

Yeh I think curlformers require too much manipulation - satin rollers or just regular plastic rollers don't require that pulling action - I bought some but never used them and recently gave them away to a friend who loves them. If I were you I would give them a break.

Lilmama1011

Yeh I think curlformers require too much manipulation - satin rollers or just regular plastic rollers don't require that pulling action - I bought some but never used them and recently gave them away to a friend who loves them. If I were you I would give them a break.

I hadn't done a curl former set in sooooo long and thought i would give my hair a break with me wearing in my banana clip and moisturizing and sealing and combing through (believe it or not with me are to comb it through everyday i lost very little hair just normal shedding and it seems to make my new new growth very manageable? But yeah the curl formers was traumatizing , you can pull on it and not even know your ripping, I guess it would be better for a fresh relaxer or minimum new growth so it won't be puffing at the roots or for a natural with all natural hair and not two textures

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

Even though I'm only 6 weeks, I notice that my new growth is soft and taking in my deep conditioning sessions very well. I literally can touch the new growth and relaxed part and there is no difference in moisture, i can feel the texture but it is not dry

Lilmama1011

stretches are starting not to be so bad. i know to comb new growth only when its wet or damp and that minimizes lost hair significantly and with wearing curly styles i have low manipulation so no struggling to comb

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
The straighter I keep my hair, the easier is it to deal with. Lately I have been hiding my hair so that also helps.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I'm noticing that my hair is much more manageable although it feels more thick at the roots.
I am now very comfortable with the look of ng along my hairline and others too since at 16 weeks I haven't been told that i 'need ' a relaxer.
I've also noticed that my hair truly grows at different speeds depending on the location. Some areas are 2" while others are just about 1".

Honey Bee

My last tu was 7/5. I have no idea how many weeks post I am, but I'm trynna make it to Christmas. I've never stretched this long before, but it's been so easy, I'm just extending it longer and longer. I've had the relaxer for months, I just haven't felt compelled to use it.

I noticed that pre-pooing with a moisturizing conditioner really helps.

I noticed that ceramides are my friend.

I never bought smoothing conditioner before but Jen at 'Just Grow Already' convinced me to try it and, wow! Smoothing indeed.

I noticed that heat, used carefully and with the proper protection, can be a life-saver.

Lilmama1011, The first time I used Wen, it laid my roots down so nice, I couldn't believe it. If it had been around back in the day, I might not have ever relaxed. Just be careful to keep your protein game strong because Wen is mostly moisture. I take out what I plan to use and add a capful of Neutral Protein Filler.

Lilmama1011

My last tu was 7/5. I have no idea how many weeks post I am, but I'm trynna make it to Christmas. I've never stretched this long before, but it's been so easy, I'm just extending it longer and longer. I've had the relaxer for months, I just haven't felt compelled to use it.

I noticed that pre-pooing with a moisturizing conditioner really helps.

I noticed that ceramides are my friend.

I never bought smoothing conditioner before but Jen at 'Just Grow Already' convinced me to try it and, wow! Smoothing indeed.

I noticed that heat, used carefully and with the proper protection, can be a life-saver.

Lilmama1011, The first time I used Wen, it laid my roots down so nice, I couldn't believe it. If it had been around back in the day, I might not have ever relaxed. Just be careful to keep your protein game strong because Wen is mostly moisture. I take out what I plan to use and add a capful of Neutral Protein Filler.

i don't even use wen anymore. but i alternate between moisture and protein conditioners every other week

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

i don't know if my hair is coming in thicker but i tried to venture into not using a gel and more of edge tamers and nothing lays my hair down. I am returning my third product and i just added eco styler gel and it is layed. I really wanted to not go back to gel. But even with the scarf method, the other stuff just does not work. My stretch is going fine being that i stay in no manipulation hair styles. But i started redoing my styles mid week to refresh by damping it up, moisturizing and sealing and rerolling

Lilmama1011

Stretching is a breeze now. I always do relaxer style deep conditioning. My new growth stays moisturized and I never comb my new growth without it being wet. Also removing dressed hair before detangling makes it easier

naija24

At 4 months post, I've noticed that my new growth actually has really soft curls!! It didn't feel like my new growth from previous years. I don't know if its because I've stretched for so long twice now this year or if avoiding heat for long periods of time has helped but they felt amazing and when I say curls, I mean like 3c/4a kind of curls. It was crazy.