Those little "tails" on the ends of your twists: cut them or keep them?

AmyRose92

Hi ladies!

Lately I've been noticing that my twists have this tail on them. Unfortunately, I don't have access to pictures right now to show you what I mean. I trimmed about 1/4 of inch almost a month ago when the ends started knotting up but the "tails" are still there. I seriously don't want to cut them because that would be at least 1"-1.5" and I already cut about 0.5" to an 1" in April

So what are these "tails" anyway? Is it my ends thinning (which I'm hoping it's not) or is this a naturally occurring process of growing hair? :perplexed

faithVA

I don't have a complete answer for you but unless you trim your hair and even it up, every time you twist you can have hair of different lengths side by side and you will end up with that tail.

Sometimes the tails or ragged ends but if you have trimmed recently, your hair may just be a different lengths. If they don't feel rough or have SSKs there is probably nothing wrong with them.

When you get pictures, it would be good to post. But take the hair out of one of those twists and see if the ends are damaged or if the hair has just been trimmed unevenly.

SimJam

^^^^ that^^^^

when I twist and have an obvious tail, i just retwist leaving the tail out, it usually belongs with some other section of hair lol

I never wear my hair straight so having uneven ends is the least of my problems

westNDNbeauty

When you originally cut, was your hair in the same twisted style? If not, you may want to only cut your hair when it is twisted from now on.

If the tails are taking away from the healthy look of your hair, I would say cut. If not, leave it be.

NicWhite

Years ago, I would go to the hair dresser to have my hair re-twisted once every 2 weeks and she would cut the little tails off every time. Let's just say that I had a hard time retaining length that way. At the time I could never understand why my hair would not "grow".

I suggest getting a good trim, then leave them alone.

claud-uk

Keep them. Why cut hair unless it's split or damaged (or you're going for a specific style)??? You'll never see any growth otherwise, and that's exactly what it is - growth.

Hairs don't all grow at the same rate - there are always going to be some longer than the others unless you blunt cut on a very regular basis. Don't punish faster growing hairs and make them a problem - instead turn the situation around and come up with a solution, maybe a different hairstyle where the what the ends look like doesn't matter so much?