Thoughts on Esther

Belle Du Jour

When I read the book of Esther, I always wonder what her purification process entailed and what she took with her when she went to meet the King. I wonder if this is left vague for a reason, or if the bigger message is to prepare yourself for marriage. Any thoughts on this?

PaperClip

Hi, Classimami:

The second chapter of Esther gives some indication of the purification process and the item she took with her to meet the king.

Verse 12: Each young woman’s turn came to go in to King Ahasuerus after she had completed twelve months’ preparation, according to the regulations for the women, for thus were the days of their preparation apportioned: six months with oil of myrrh, and six months with perfumes and preparations for beautifying women.

It is my understanding that this process involved a particular diet, bathing routine.

Verse 15: Now when the turn came for Esther the daughter of Abihail the uncle of Mordecai, who had taken her as his daughter, to go in to the king, she requested nothing but what Hegai the king’s eunuch, the custodian of the women, advised. And Esther obtained favor in the sight of all who saw her.

It is my understanding that the signficant message with regard to what Esther took to meet the king is that she submitted, listened, and obeyed the king's eunuch, which is parallel to how we are to submit, listen, and obey as we are being divinely led, which is what Esther as queen had to do....

According to the movie "One Night With the King", it showed how the other women picked items (large, ornate jewelry) that THEY wanted for themselves (selfish) versus choosing an item that would please the king (unselfish). Esther's item, according to the movie, was a small pendant that the king's eunuch said would catch the king's attention, in part because of its subtlety.

It's a double parallel to me, how we interact with the Lord as well as how we interact with our husbands. The marital relationship is said to be the CLOSEST similarity to the Lord's relationship with the Bride of Christ.

Hope this helps....

Belle Du Jour

Report back on your thoughts, ok? And you have to make sure you can give your full attention to the movie. No multitasking while you're watching it!

I was so excited that I started watching it yesterday. But, I will wait until I have a block of time to watch the whole thing. :yep:

Belle Du Jour

I watched the whole thing, but I felt like it was over my head somewhat. :look: Like, maybe there was some symbolism I didn't get. Or maybe I was focussing too much on the romance. I like the part when she says, "God conceals a thing and it takes a king to seek it out." For me, that meant that sometimes, God will hide or shield his best but that doesn't dimnish her value. It just takes the right man (a king) to discover her. I guess teh part when he was being so rude to her when she had her night with him was just a test? That wasn't quite how I imagined their night together. Also, the part where she reads to him was a little off. I can't imagine a woman playing that sort of role in the court in those days and further, he saw her before her night. I would think that would take away some of the magic. I guess I just imagined their relationship a little different. But I guess they had to create a movie. We don't really know what the dynamics were. I'm going to watch it again with my mother and get her take on it. I can't wait to hear your's Relaxer Rehab. :yep:

PaperClip

I watched the whole thing, but I felt like it was over my head somewhat. :look: Like, maybe there was some symbolism I didn't get. Or maybe I was focussing too much on the romance. I like the part when she says, "God conceals a thing and it takes a king to seek it out." For me, that meant that sometimes, God will hide or shield his best but that doesn't dimnish her value. It just takes the right man (a king) to discover her.
Along with what you said, recall a MAIN POINT about Esther's ethnicity/culture: she was Jewish in a Persian(?) society. Her uncle directed her to CONCEAL/NOT REVEAL her Jewish heritage. Now (God knew) but the people didn't know that Haman(?) would issue a decree to kill all the Jews and so that's when Esther had to step up, even risking her own life. So recall the banquet when Haman was talking about the Jews with the king, and Esther had to plead the case for the people. Remember Esther's pendant? Remember when the light reflected off the pendant? Remember when the king saw the symbol in the light but Haman didn't. So when the king figured out that if he approved the decree, his wife would be killed, the king had a decision to make. It took the right man spiritually, the right man naturally to "see" his wife (Esther) and maintain her value spiritually and naturally by protecting HER, which meant protecting her PEOPLE (the Jews). Also remember that the Lord appoints leaders (I believe there's scripture for this) for an appointed time. This particular king was there for this appointed occasion.

I guess teh part when he was being so rude to her when she had her night with him was just a test? That wasn't quite how I imagined their night together. Also, the part where she reads to him was a little off. I can't imagine a woman playing that sort of role in the court in those days and further, he saw her before her night.
I wonder if you're talking about two different parts. The first time she met the king is when she read to him. I don't recall him being rude, but I suppose as you say, "testing" her. Recall some of the other women he met. They did not capture his attention like Esther did. Also, think back to the scripture. The Bible talks about Esther getting favor with the king's eunuch and the eunuch probably told Esther A LOT about how to gain the king's attention. So the fact that Esther came in READING TO HIM versus standing there waiting for sex or with little captivating interaction definitely caught the king's attention. I believe they were not intimate until after they married.

I would think that would take away some of the magic. I guess I just imagined their relationship a little different. But I guess they had to create a movie. We don't really know what the dynamics were. I'm going to watch it again with my mother and get her take on it. I can't wait to hear your's Relaxer Rehab. :yep:

Hi, Classi!

From what you have shared here, I need to watch the movie again! That's a nice thing! So let's explore here.... (see my responses above)

Belle Du Jour

Now, I was referring to the part when she went in to him for her night, and he was like, is this how you approach a king and her love being cheap and she kept countering him (I an neither a buyer or seller of love). Yeah, it's obvious Esther had an "in" with Hagai and he gave her special information that the other women weren't privy too. Also, Esther truly cared about appealing to the king (when picking the jewels, she was like, how can I choose when I don't know what he would like). She was focussed on him and his needs. The king also uses the word "beguiled" several times. She appealed to him on much deeper levels. The other women were trying to appeal to his body.

Yeah, I get what you're saying about the pendant. I guess the hidden truth that Esther was talking about all along was about her people/her faith. And in the end, the king wanted to learn about her God.

On another note, I felt real bad for poor Jesse. :look:

cece22

Now, I was referring to the part when she went in to him for her night, and he was like, is this how you approach a king and her love being cheap and she kept countering him (I an neither a buyer or seller of love). Yeah, it's obvious Esther had an "in" with Hagai and he gave her special information that the other women weren't privy too. Also, Esther truly cared about appealing to the king (when picking the jewels, she was like, how can I choose when I don't know what he would like). She was focussed on him and his needs. The king also uses the word "beguiled" several times. She appealed to him on much deeper levels. The other women were trying to appeal to his body.

Yeah, I get what you're saying about the pendant. I guess the hidden truth that Esther was talking about all along was about her people/her faith. And in the end, the king wanted to learn about her God.

On another note, I felt real bad for poor Jesse. :look:

Was her cousin Mordecai in the film? Also did they have the evil dude Hammon or whateva his name was?