Tips for Avoinding Underprocessed Hair?

FemmeFatale

I'm currently 13 weeks post and will be getting a touchup next weekend and I'm afraid my hair will be underprocessed because it is so much 4b newgrowth. Any tips on how I can avoid this?

theLovelyStyle

The only thing I can think of is making sure you new growth is as detangled as posssible so that the relaxer can easily access each strand.

I would also recommend applying the relaxer to areas that are prone to underprocessing first and applying the relaxer to sensitive areas, like edges and the nape, last.

amwcah

Do the Half/Half Relaxer Method. Are you familiar with this? I used this method to relax a couple of weeks ago and my results were a little too good being that the rest of my hair IS underprocessed.

blessedandlucky

i'm 12 weeks post (4b) and i have the same concern. i agree with thelovelystyle, detangle and start with areas that are traditionally underprocessed. also, make sure that your scalps is not irritated at all so you don't have to rinse out sooner than the allotted time. that's what i plan to do..

FemmeFatale

Do the Half/Half Relaxer Method. Are you familiar with this? I used this method to relax a couple of weeks ago and my results were a little too good being that the rest of my hair IS underprocessed.

No, what is the half/half method?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Make sure your hair has as little product buildup on it the week leading up to. I always Clarify, do a protein treatment and keep my product usage to a minimum.

However, I do start to base like a day or 2 before. I also put coconut oil and/or a silk protein spritz on previously relaxed ends.

Have everything close by. Take Your Time but work quickly.

Lovelylocs

When you say "getting a touch up" do you mean that someone else will be doing it for you? If so, the best way to avoid under processed hair is to go to someone competent. Also, don't used shikakai, amla, etc. before your touch up.

FemmeFatale

Yes a friend of mine will be doing the touch up (She's very good), however this time around I have 2" of new growth and it's ALOT to deal with. I want to make sure I do everything right prior.

I'm wondering if I'm going to need two jars instead of one.

What is smoothing? Is it when you gently go over each section smoothing out the NG while the creme is in and cooking, lol?

LushLox

This is going to be contrary to what everyone else will say but for my last touch up I did a DC the day before, and my NG was soft and manageable, therefore my stylist didn't have to virtually rip through the hair. I know that this is generally a no no, but it worked really well for me, I had no scalp irritation and she was able to literally glide through my hair with the comb. When I next relax I'm going to do it myself using this method.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Yes a friend of mine will be doing the touch up (She's very good), however this time around I have 2" of new growth and it's ALOT to deal with. I want to make sure I do everything right prior.

What is smoothing? Is it when you gently go over each section smoothing out the NG while the creme is in and cooking, lol?

Exactly. It's normally done with the back of a comb, the sprush, fingers......:lol:

Lovelylife

Yep, but don't let her use the teeth part of the comb. The back of the comb or the hands is ideal. I smooth the entire time I have the relaxer in my hair, that's why I have to section off my hair in four parts and then relax it separately.

bgsix

This is going to be contrary to what everyone else will say but for my last touch up I did a DC the day before, and my NG was soft and manageable, therefore my stylist didn't have to virtually rip through the hair. I know that this is generally a no no, but it worked really well for me, I had no scalp irritation and she was able to literally glide through my hair with the comb. When I next relax I'm going to do it myself using this method.

I think Dlewis washes the day before her relaxer & she states she has no issues either.