Underprocessed Relaxer

PinkAngel

For those ladies who have ever had underprocessed hair after a relaxer, how long did you wait before your corrective relaxer was done?

My whole head is underprocessed. I can no longer tame my 4b newgrowth in the back quarter of my head.:ohwell: I shampoo every 3-4 days, condition wash 2-3xs a week, apply non-protein moisturizer 2-3xs per day and only finger comb. Yet, my hair is beginning to break a little in the back. I've even done an Emergencee protein treatment but the last quarter of my hair tangles so bad. I'm afraid if I wait any longer I'll lose too much hair from breakage. :eek: The front is okay, it's wavy 4a and always soft.:)

It's been 2 weeks since my relaxer mishap and I'd like to relax again to correct the problem. Any and all advice/tips are truly appreciated.

THANKS LADIES...... PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T LET ME DOWN!!!

*Frisky*

I just had a corrective relaxer...about 50 percent of my hair was underprocessed....I went from no lye to lye though...my hairdresser put it on from the roots to the tips. My hair feels great...I would suggest getting it professionally done if you are considering doing it.

lonei

How many times do you think you can do a corrective, i had one about a year ago but it made it worse, i'm considering it again but this time professionally.

Isis

msshic said:
marie & lonei,

How long did you wait after the first relaxer to get a corrective relaxer?
I underprocess my hair on purpose so I don't know about corrective relaxers. While you are waiting for a reply or waiting to get your corrective relaxer (I agree with getting it professionally done), you may want to check out and see how others who are "texlaxed" are caring for their new growth. As for me, I keep it very well moisturized along with the rest of my hair, and I stay away from heat.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing with your hair as far as moisture goes. The only thing I can see that can possibly cause breakage in your case is too much manipulation or direct heat (although you didn't mention heat).

PinkAngel

Hi Isis,

No, I don't use heat. I actually went to scratch my scalp and pulled tangled, matted hair out(about 5 strands). None of the strands had new growth on the ends, although I can't see back there I figured it had to have broken at the demarcation.

I'm just thinking I may lose more hair if I wait than if I go ahead and get a corrective.

cocoberry10

I just had this same problem, and I am planning to wait like 8 weeks. This is actually the 2nd underprocessed relaxer in a row that I've had. Phyto is a little too gentle for my 4a/4b hair. I don't want it bone straight, but when I used Affirm mild w/lye, it softened my curls enough, but they were dry and rough like I've experienced with Phyto.

bubblebtm2

I'm experiencing the same thing. I just had my girlfriend relax my hair yesterday after goin 40 weeks post. I had probably 3-4 inches of new growth, but when I looked at my wet hair, the first 2 inches were straight. Now I have relaxed roots then 2 inches of natural hair and finally relaxed ends. I was thinking of probably doin a corrective in about 8 weeks but I might wait and see how my hair handles after my next wash. Let us know what you end up doing :)

BerrySweet

bubblebtm2 said:
I'm experiencing the same thing. I just had my girlfriend relax my hair yesterday after goin 40 weeks post. I had probably 3-4 inches of new growth, but when I looked at my wet hair, the first 2 inches were straight. Now I have relaxed roots then 2 inches of natural hair and finally relaxed ends. I was thinking of probably doin a corrective in about 8 weeks but I might wait and see how my hair handles after my next wash. Let us know what you end up doing :)
40 weeks??????????????? my gracious girl!

Miss*Tress

BerrySweet said:
I go that long too and have the same problem with "underlap". I never did do a corrective because I never knew they existed until now. Anyway, my hair hasn't suffered any damage - it just frizzes along the middle during the summer.

Last edited:

bubblebtm2

BerrySweet said:

Yes ma'am.....40 loooong weeks. I made it with alot of braids and weaves. Now it's time to really start taking care of my hair. So I'm crowning THIS year as my official start :grin: I'm still working on a routine.

So far I like my hair with the underprocess parts. Since it's blown out, it gives my hair some more body and texture since it's not bone straight. We'll see how things turn out after my first wash :perplexed

Happy growing ladies;)

lonei

msshic said:
marie & lonei,

How long did you wait after the first relaxer to get a corrective relaxer?

I waited about a year, not intentionally, I just didnt realise the concept of being underprocessed until I asked a hairdresser why some parts were frizzy.

BMoreFlyy

My hair is underprocessed now, but my next perm is going to be done by my mom. The last two times, I've had a no-lye relaxer and my hair is really not loving that along with the winter weather down here. So, hopefully after she does the no lye in another month or so, I'll be good to go.