Tips For Dying My Hair Black?

CaraWalker

my hair is some weird faded brown color and i really don't like it. ive never dyed my hair except some henna more than three years ago. sidenote now that i know i have porous hair no wonder the henna made my hair feel better, but i hate the color so i wouldnt do it again.

whats the best dye for black hair?

thickness

Bigen oriental black is the best jet black ever but I had to retire it from my arsenal. It started to irritate my scalp. I had been using it for about 15 years. I now use Wella color charm demi-permanent in black. It covers my gray but not as well as the Bigen. Naptral85 just colored her hair with Sheamoisture permanent hair color in black. Check her YouTube channel.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I use semi-perm for my black dyes. The ones that I like the best are: Silk Elements Jet Black and Clariol Black dye.

I would never use a permanent black dye unless I was absolutely, positively sure that I wanted my hair black for a very long time. It is VERY difficult and damaging to lift a permanent black dye if you plan on going lighter.

Are you looking for something perm or non-perm?

lana

Bigen made my hair (bangs) look like crinkly French fries. I will never use it again.

Try Clairol Semi-permanent or another semi-permanent rinse. I would stay away from permanent or even demi-permanent dyes.

Also, why not just use Henna and Indigo? It's natural and it will deepen and darken your hair color without damaging the hair.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Shea Moisture color system.
My hair felt conditioned and nice after the color.

Looking forward to October to do it again.

CaraWalker

I use semi-perm for my black dyes. The ones that I like the best are: Silk Elements Jet Black and Clariol Black dye.

I would never use a permanent black dye unless I was absolutely, positively sure that I wanted my hair black for a very long time. It is VERY difficult and damaging to lift a permanent black dye if you plan on going lighter.

Are you looking for something perm or non-perm?

i dont plan on ever bleaching/lightening my hair so i dont think it matters if it's permanent or not. hair lighter than my skin is not a good look for me.

i am mainly concerned with finding a dye that doesnt have ammonia in it.

Bigen made my hair (bangs) look like crinkly French fries. I will never use it again.

Try Clairol Semi-permanent or another semi-permanent rinse. I would stay away from permanent or even demi-permanent dyes.

Also, why not just use Henna and Indigo? It's natural and it will deepen and darken your hair color without damaging the hair.

im worried about the indigo not working and being stuck with even lighter hair from the henna red.

PureSilver

I've been considering this from last year. I really wanna go jet black but I do not want a setback or any mishaps at all, that I can do without. I'm leaning towards indigo since its natural, I'll consider all my options then I'll decide by my next relaxer in August. @CaraWalker we are experiencing the exact same thing.

kandake

I use Clairol Textures and Tones in Silken Black. But I think I might try Sheamoisture next time just for the hell of it.

Honey Bee

my hair is some weird faded brown color

whats the best dye for black hair?
Can't speak on the dye, but I'm well-versed weird faded brown hair color. I'd suggest some sort of protein filler before you color it, to make sure the color saturates evenly. You don't want ashy ends. There are two I know of, both at Sallys: one that's actually called 'Neutral Protein Filler' and another by the Ion brand, some kinda hair color pre-treatment thing.