TLC for the Ends. What to use?

Firenza

I have shoulder length hair,and it seems that the longer it gets,the ends are less smooth.
When I used to wear hair short,it seemed like my hair could keep a curl.
After air drying,I put my curling iron through,but not making a curl.

Is there something good to use to make the ends 'behave'?

filthyfresh

Have you clarified yet? Because you may have product buildup, which may be why your curl isn't staying. How does your hair feel? Brittle, dry, etc.?

Firenza

I'm not sure what clarify is,but I don't put curls in on purpose. The less curl I do the better. I figured that this is the way to grow my hair out,so I can see what the ends are doing.
I usually pin curl the ends up at night.

My hair doesn't feel brittle,but the ends need help. They are so dry,just after doing hair with intensive oil moisterizer.
The ends are like another texture. Everything else looks fine,cept the ends.

Mom23

Hi There,
Maybe you need a small trim or dusting? It is sometimes hard to keep the ends smooth when you air dry. Do you air dry in a ponytail or just let it hang loose? When I air dry I use a scrunchie and then put my scarf on and the hair comes out relatively smooth and flat. You may just need to trim a little if the ends have damage.

Hope this helps.:)

filthyfresh

Clarify = wash with a clarifying shampoo to remove built up residue on your scalp and in your hair due to product usage.

Sounds like you may need to try the Baggie method and maybe keep your ends well-moisturized. I mean I'm just as new as you so I'm just speculating here. But it sounds like your ends definitely need some moisture. You could also try putting a creamy leave-in on the ends. Just enough to make them slightly moist. That's what works for me when my ends are dry.

SayLeesa04

Yep this is my deal, My haior is growing yeah but my freaking ends are splitting. I really need some help, Cause I am pissed!!!:mad:

Isis

Firenza said:
I have shoulder length hair,and it seems that the longer it gets,the ends are less smooth.
When I used to wear hair short,it seemed like my hair could keep a curl.
After air drying,I put my curling iron through,but not making a curl.

Is there something good to use to make the ends 'behave'?

The ends feel like another texture perhaps because of the repeated curling iron use. The ends, as you know, are the oldest part of your hair and being exposed to such direct heat repeatedly will alter it's texture and behavior. And if airdrying with the hair just hanging, the ends can look deceiving and usually do not dry smooth.

To keep my ends smooth when airdrying, I use a good leave-in on all of my hair, including my ends. I use an oil or serum to seal in the moisture, then I airdry in a rollerset using magnetic rollers.

Afterwards, I keep my ends moisturized upon awakening and before going to bed. :)

Last edited:

taraglam2

SayLeesa04 said:
Yep this is my deal, My haior is growing yeah but my freaking ends are splitting. I really need some help, Cause I am pissed!!!:mad:

PROFECTIV Healthy Ends. You can get it at most Beauty Supply Stores, CVS etcetera.

mochamadness

Going the Distance
Sounds like you need a good moisturizer for your ends. A couple that work for me are ORS olive oil (in the jar) and NTM silk touch leave in, after moisturizing I usually seal w/ any oil on hand. If your ends are not responding to the moisture they could be damaged, in this case there's really nothing much to do but dust/trim away the damage... I hope you find something that works.

Synthia

Isis said:
I use an oil or serum to seal in the moisture, then I airdry in a rollerset using magnetic rollers.

This is key.

I personally don't like oil on my hair during the day because it won't swing.

But I love just a hint of serum. Since one of mystaples is the nutri-protect treatment by Nutri-ox, which is a gel/serum ...I massage this on my scalp, then smooth a little through my hair and finally on my ends after my condition wash. It keeps everything smooth.

Frizz ease is also good, but I haven't used that in ages.

Also ...trimming ...I just got a pair of tweezerman barber scissors for just $15 at Amazon.com. I know Cathy Howse says you don't have to trim, but to me cutting off tips periodically is necessary to prevent any split ends from ruining hair higher up and maintaining a good healthy look. (I just converted to this philosophy).

These scissors are nice and sharp for a clean cut without raggedy results.

MizaniMami

This is what I think you should do:

Make sure you deep condition WITH HEAT, also when adding conditioner to your hair concentrate on them ends, I mean really apply conditioner generously and maybe add oil to seal in the conditioner at those ends, than apply your heat cap and let it sit for 30 minutes-do this for EVERY time you condition (try to wash atleast once per week, I read somewhere that conditioners stop working after 4 days).

Apply a leave-in after every wash, and make sure you add oil to seal in your leave-in too.

Moisturize daily and really concentrate on those ends.

If you don't see a difference within a month then I would sadly say to try and chop them off little by little.

How do you wear your hair daily?

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
ITA. :yep:

* Less Heat (do alternate with roller setting)
* More Moisture just on your ends (I use Vita Cream by Vigorol every night just on the tips)
* Keep ends strong with regular protein conditioning
* Wear more protective hairstyles (I use the baggie technique with a phony pony)
* Dust for split ends regularly

I too have crazy ends and always have had them. So, to keep them under control, healthy, and undamaged I use these techniques. HTH

Firenza

Thanks Ladies,
All of the responses have been most helpful.I love it how everyone cares enough to put down what has been working for you.
I must say that I have been using the heating cap with motions silk protein moisterizer,sometimes adding the MTG with it. For a while the ends were beautiful.
I usually wear hair in a bun,or sometimes a simple french braid.
I think that damage was done when I used something like jazzing,a clear formula for added sheen,much like putting color in.
I think that this is when the trouble began.
I thought that like washing,that the product would wear out,but not without drying out my ends.
I was using the profective for healthy ends with so so results.
Maybe the solution is to dust,and trim a little.
And maybe a flatiron is better than using a curling iron,since I'm not going for the curl anylonger.
I have to get one of those soon.

jaded_faerie

Firenza said:
Thanks Ladies,
All of the responses have been most helpful.I love it how everyone cares enough to put down what has been working for you.
I must say that I have been using the heating cap with motions silk protein moisterizer,sometimes adding the MTG with it. For a while the ends were beautiful.
I usually wear hair in a bun,or sometimes a simple french braid.
I think that damage was done when I used something like jazzing,a clear formula for added sheen,much like putting color in.
I think that this is when the trouble began.
I thought that like washing,that the product would wear out,but not without drying out my ends.
I was using the profective for healthy ends with so so results.
Maybe the solution is to dust,and trim a little.
And maybe a flatiron is better than using a curling iron,since I'm not going for the curl anylonger.
I have to get one of those soon.

rinses usually dont harm the hair...sorry for your misfortune

MissFallon

Firenza said:
I'm not sure what clarify is,but I don't put curls in on purpose. The less curl I do the better. I figured that this is the way to grow my hair out,so I can see what the ends are doing.

My hair doesn't feel brittle,but the ends need help. They are so dry,just after doing hair with intensive oil moisterizer.

You should try Motions CPR Critical Protection & Repair Treatment hairdressing. Put it on your ends after it is wrapped, put a satin scarf on and when you take it down the next morning (or whenever) your ends should be smooth. This was one of those products that I barely used except for when my ends were acting up. Your hair should come out smooth and soft. I just did this to my hair last night. The only thing about the product is that I believe it is only good for the ends; it has mineral oil in it so you dont want it too close to your scalp.

Atiramisu

Firenza -- do you airdry? I airdry and I've discovered a way to keep my ends a little bit straighter. When I airdry in ponytails, I use ouchless terry cloth ponytail holders about 2 inches up from the ends. Then, I apply a serum (I really liked NTM and John Freida Extra Strength and I have Biolage's also, but I don't like it as well) on my ends. I usually end up with 4 or 6 braids and I will criss cross them on my head, secure with bobby pins and put on a scarf. My ends dry much smoother this way. If I braid my hair ALL THE WAY DOWN to the ends for airdrying, the ends are always frizzier after I take the braids out. Also, I use Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Avocado or Coconut oil (alternately) every night on my ends --- I think it makes a huge difference. Hope this helps. :)

Firenza

I'm not familiar with ouchless terry cloth hair bands,but me thinks that it would do the trick.
I mixed a little concoction of glycerin and castor oil,and my hair feels better already!
Letting it stay until tomorrow for washout. Will see how the results come out.

Candy_C

Firenza said:

u need some GREASE! after applyin a moisturizer, use grease on your ends and roll them up. i had exactly the same prob as u when iwas shoulde rlength, my ends always looked bad when they wernt.

inthepink

ITA Candy,

I've been doing this with my hair recently, too! I apply a water-based moisturizer to my ends and then cover that with oil. Then I immediately roll that section. The curl comes out so well. I notice when I didn't do my hair that way, I wouldn't get much curl. If your ends are fresh, I would try this. If you have splits, I would try to get rid of those first.

Firenza

Candy_C said:
u need some GREASE! after applyin a moisturizer, use grease on your ends and roll them up. i had exactly the same prob as u when iwas shoulde rlength, my ends always looked bad when they wernt.
I found this to be so true! Using other methods,went back to using a favorite hair grease,this did my hair good.
Cept,I'm not rolling hair now,cause I wanted to grow hair out without curling. I found with curling,hair is more likely to split on combout.
Also,oils are good,but somehow just don't retain the hold,so I put oil on at night, and pin it up in a twist.
But yeah,the grease is a constant hold,but not too much,cause then hair is too stringy....:ohwell:

sareca

Firenza said:
I found this to be so true! Using other methods,went back to using a favorite hair grease,this did my hair good.
Cept,I'm not rolling hair now,cause I wanted to grow hair out without curling. I found with curling,hair is more likely to split on combout.
Also,oils are good,but somehow just don't retain the hold,so I put oil on at night, and pin it up in a twist.
But yeah,the grease is a constant hold,but not too much,cause then hair is too stringy....:ohwell:

Mine have doing ok lately, but I'm desparately trying to make sure they stay that way. I might have to try this out.