To BKT or Not to BKT damaged over processed hair?

BSweet

no one seems to be in the Keratin support thread right now..so sorry for another bkt thread but..

help..need advice..

I want to BKT my hair..after doing some research i think it will be the solution to the damage from over processing (Relaxer over texturizer = bad idea= Major setback) has done to my hair..or maybe it would have been the solution earlier cause right about now the damage is just about done..if i knew maybe i could have stopped it in time..*sigh*

n e way i just purchased the Joico K pak line to try and remedy my hair issues ..and my hair is showing improvement.. but i'm wondering if bkt would be a better option for my hair..tho it seems bkt and k pak don't mix cause of the sodium chloride in the k pak line..
but...
i would hate for all my money to go to waste by deciding to bkt and no longer use the k pak line..however i also want to do what is best for my hair..

i was thinking i use up the k pak then bkt..but i got the big sizes in everything..or maybe i can bkt and still use k pak once in a while..will the sodium chloride really revert it?

so basically should i bkt or not..again i want to do what is best for my over processed hair..

also i'm about 14 weeks post and my roots are killin me..but im too afraid of chemicals after what happend ..that's why i think bkt would be a better fit for me

any suggestions are much appreciated..

Last edited:

vkb247

I have read online where a stylist said she had a client with damage from Japanese thermal straightening (?) and she said the BKT stopped all breakage she was experiencing from that treatment.

Are you planning on doing the treatment yourself? You can always order enough for one or two treatments to try it out and see how you like it. This will be much less expensive than buying the full bottle if BKT or paying a stylist to do it.

Sugar

From what I was told by a Brazilian Blowout stylist, the process is really good for damaged hair and that damaged hair will show a bigger difference than healthy hair after the process has been completed.

I still don't advocate getting the BKT, but at least that's one really good reason for getting it done.

BSweet

I have read online where a stylist said she had a client with damage from Japanese thermal straightening (?) and she said the BKT stopped all breakage she was experiencing from that treatment.

Are you planning on doing the treatment yourself? You can always order enough for one or two treatments to try it out and see how you like it. This will be much less expensive than buying the full bottle if BKT or paying a stylist to do it.

thanks...that correlates with what i've been reading..that it stops the breakage..but i don't think breakage is the issue anymore cause its too late

but since i don't want anymore damage by applying another chemical service..im guessing bkt might be my best option..i'm just mad i brought all this stuff and won't be able to use it if i apply the bkt..

Tafa01

I BKT and I still use the Kpack line. Its not "bad" for your hair to do that, it just wears the BKT faster. You will then have to redo it more often.

Keen

I would say yes do it at least once and see how you like it. I was amazed at how my ends turned out after the BKT. they kept getting damaged and I kept trimming cause they looked bad. My hair would never get too long cause I kept cutting them because of dammage ends on the back of my head. They looked like I scorched them using flames. Since my first BKT, all my ends looks the same. Just do it.

ETA: I don't think my damages were due to over processing. I still have no clue what caused them. It always happen in that one area

Last edited:

BlackGeisha

How does you hair deal with a lot of heat because remember the flat ironing process that goes along with BKT. You are right if you BKT you will not be able to use your joico products, I mean you can but it will strip the treatment faster than if you were using a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.

Maybe you should do a test strip on a damaged piece and observe what happens for a week or two before you commit to the whole head.