To Dye or Not to Dye? That is the question.

lady_godiva

I really want to dye my hair a light shade, but am afraid to do so. I see where the ladies here use Begin. I bought some and may use it. But, I want to go closer to a blonde shade. I noticed that this type of hair dye has a lot of amonia and alcohol, which are both damaging to hair.

I was thinking that if I deep condition my hair after I put the dye in I should be okay. Plus, I am not planning on getting another touch-up until December. I am also part of the crown and glory challenge. Please advise me on what I should do. Thanks.

lboogie2679

IMO, I don't think you can go from dark to blonde without bleaching. Anytime you go blonde you are lifting color from the hair and this may present challenges. If you interested in a change brown or auburn may be less trauma on the hair.

lady_godiva

IMO, I don't think you can go from dark to blonde without bleaching. Anytime you go blonde you are lifting color from the hair and this may present challenges. If you interested in a change brown or auburn may be less trauma on the hair.

Thanks. I think I am going to try Bigen. I really want to go lighter, but want to keep my healthy hair.

Mane Event

I struggle with this question as well. I hate my natural dark hair (Its darker than 1b but not exactly jet black). lboogie is right, you're going to have to use chemicals to lift your color.

I hear clairol textures & tones is the safest. I have a box of honey blond sitting in my bathroom but I'm too scared to take the plunge. Right now, length is my priority so I'm playing it safe.

You may also want to consider only highlighting or "tipping" your hair for less damage.

Maybe some other ladies can chime in...I'm interested in other feedback/opinions as well :grin:

Last edited:

shinyblackhair

Lightening my hair has always ended badly for me. I vowed to never do it again, but every few years I get that itch...

lady_godiva

I struggle with this question as well. I hate my natural dark hair (Its darker than 1b but not exactly jet black). lboogie is right, you're going to have to use chemicals to lift your color.

I hear clairol textures & tones is the safest. I have a box of honey blond sitting in my bathroom but I'm too scared to take the plunge. Right now, length is my priority so I'm playing it safe.

You may also want to consider only highlighting or "tipping" your hair for less damage.

Maybe some other ladies can chime in...I'm interested in other feedback/opinions as well :grin:

Girl, I have two boxes. I am trying to play it safe too, but so desperately want to go lighter. Maybe I'll do a light colored weave. :grin:

hothair

Try honey or clairol luminize- search for Marbel they lift slowly and gently so you should get the shade you want over time. I've heard good things about Aveda salons - see Jenteel's fotki...

I use honey and luminize with no problems, but will be lightening with garnier highlights soon want some honey blond highlights