TO: Those who consider themselves 4a ONLY!

honeycomb719

What does your 4a hair look like? What are the characteristics of it? I ask, because looking through some of the ladies albums that consider themselves as 4a only not 4a/b but ONLY 4a, I see some differences in my 4a hair. Does that mean, I hair typed myself wrong?

cutebajangirl

The parts of my hair that are 4a have coffe stirrer/pen spring size coils. That hair when texturized forms curls. As opposed to my 4b hair which cannot be texturized and goes right away to straight and will never curl. So to me the differences between the two would kink vs. coil. However, I see many who have larger coils than me that call themselves 4a, which I think is true too. To me there needs to be an expansion or perhaps. consolidation of 3 and 4 into a large category of curl sizes.

honeycomb719

I've noticed those w/ larger size curls that consider themselves 4a also, which is part reason I started this thread. Not trying to kicks folks out the 4a hair type, lol I just wondered if I was wrong.

EbonyEyes

I consider myself only 4a because my hair is full of small curls that are the size of coffee stirrers. There is a section of my hair where the curls are a little bigger but not big enough IMO to be in the type 3 category.

I think that at one time the hair in the back was 4B because it did zig zag and wave but now it curls so I consider it 4A.

-Ebony

EbonyEyes

Look at this site:

http://ourhair.net/oldsite/andre_hairtype.htm

Look at the 4A pic...I have tiny curls just like that. Some are a little bigger.

Now look at the 4B pic...My hair doesn't look like that even if I pick my hair out. My boyfriend's hair sorta like the 4B pic. When I actually analyze my bf's hair, I can see the zig zags.

-Ebony

Babygurl

The 4a section of my hair has pen sping size coils, the section I consider 4b has tinier coils than that, I dont even know what would be the size, I guess I could say coffee stirrer size.

No that I look at Andre's site, Im not sure if I have ANY 4b in my head, but I definately have coils tighter than 4a, but I wouldnt consider them ZIG-ZAG shaped, so now Im confused!

Ayeshia

Im really starting to get copnfuse as to what hair type I am. Like I have type three curls when wet and dry. But when I comb it out it looks like a four
Okay its official Im not going to worry about this anymore.

abainaa

I'm with you on the confusion Ayeshia. When I first read the types my immediate thought was that I am a four but the truth is I have no idea wht my natural hair looks like. The hair that grows in the very top of my head grows in almost completely straight but thats a very small area and the vast majority of my head grows in very small waves that I assumed were the "z' pattern of 4b hair. My hair definitely doesn't look like the ladies who say they are 3s or at leat it didnt when i was child, and since it doesn't coil, then I must be a 4b right?

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
Im really starting to get copnfuse as to what hair type I am. Like I have type three curls when wet and dry. But when I comb it out it looks like a four
Okay its official Im not going to worry about this anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

ayeshia, don't be confused, your about a 3

Victorian

old head
I think my hair is 4a. I've become more sure of it as my hair grows out. It looks like the pic on that website EbonyEyes posted. I think hair types are more like "ranges" than definite values, you know? I mean not every hair on my head is agreeing on what it should be doing but I would still consider all of it 4a because it doesn't look like a typical 3 or a typical 4b.

Ayeshia

Okay I went to that site and Im sure Im a 3 with some 4a. I began to question myself because hairlove considers herself a 3b/c and I thought I was the same until I looked at her hair. But our curls are similar. Her texture is more silkier while mines is more frizz and more course

ImPradaModel

Okay I had to read that site carefully

"When this hair type is wet, it straightens out, but then draws up into a curlier state as it dries"
********Most of my hair is like this*********

"Type 4a's hair strand has an "S" shape like spirals. "
***** some of my hair is like this*******

ChasingBliss

Honestly, I wish I even knew what my hair type was. Ive never been good at figuring it. Judging from what Ive learned, I dont really think Im just one type.

cutebajangirl

It shouldn't, just like people factor in course/fine which isn't a factor of type at al IMO, but another category of describing hair.

sillygurl18

I think I'm the subgroup that people made up 3c because my curls aren't as loose as a 3b but they aren't as small as a 4a.

Queenie

Thickness has nothing to do with hair typing. Most east Asians have thick wirey hair. I am a 4a and the vast mojority of my hair is just as thick and wire-looking. If your unchemically treated hair does not lay down when wet you must be a 4.

blkbeauty

Well ladies when I was relaxed I thought I was a 4b/4a. Then when I was transitioning, I clearly thought I was 4a only, because my hair all over had small curls. Now that I am completely natural, I think I have some 3C on top...

So this is exactly why I HATE to categorize hair. Every hair is different and I rather use the LOIS method than the Andre numbering scale.