For those that consider themselves 4a ONLY....

honeycomb719

CurlyCrly said:
honeycomb, I think the differences arise because people on hair forums added their own definitions to what andre' Walker meant by the different hair types. For example, in his book, which is where the 4a came from, I do not recall reading anything about comparing the specific size of the curl (pin spring, pencil, chalk, etc.) to determine what hair type a person was. It seems that many people are using objects and comparing them to the size of their curls (if they have curls) to determine their hair type. I believe he said something like a 3B can be tight corkscrews like cree summer or loose ones, like nicole kidman. Also, the 3c is something that was "invented" on the hair forums too. That is not a type he used in his book. All of these additions to his VERY general hair typing info has increased the confusion over the years.

Also, I really think it is very difficult to compare yourself to another's hair by looking at a picture because you do not know what they did to get their hair that way. You can't feel it or see how fine the strands are. For these reasons, I do not compare my hair to anothers and take it seriously. Just my 2 cents. :)

Good Point!
If Im not mistaken, the A or B is to determine the thickness of the hair strands correct? With, A being thin and B being thick right? So, I guess a C would be Very Thick? :perplexed

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I don't think it was thickness. It's been a while since I looked at the book, but I think the AB does not mean the same thing for the different types 1, 2, ,3, 4. From what I understood, the difference between type 3 and 4 was that type 3 had more curl definition. Although type 3 could be fine or coarse, it is a stronger strand than type 4. Type 3 would shine more than type 4. Type 4 had sheen and is drier than other types. I think 4b is drier than 4a, but I am not positive about that. Another difference between 4a and 4b was that 4a strands were "s" shaped and grew curly and b strands were "z" shaped. 4b doesn't handle relaxing as well as 4a. 4a is better able to be texturized due to there being curls to stretch the "s" shape into a looser "s". I know there is more, but I can't recall what else he said. Really though, does it matter? Most of hair care is trial and error anyway, so we try something and it may work great on what you consider to be type 4 hair and it doesn't work on someone else's type 4 hair. So, in the end, we do what works for OUR hair and leave the rest alone.

Brownie

ximenia said:
Deni, I think you're 3c. If your hair produces waves when you oil, brush it and pull it back into a bun, you're a tight 3c. You're hair looks like my 3c patches. It's totally different from my 4a sections because it's much silkier/softer and finer. it also flops when wet. My 4a sections coil up and the hair is fine and soft but it doesn't hang like my 3c parts when wet.

I think 4a's hair would look wavy also when brushed back because the curls are being stretched and forced to lay down. My hair tends to flop/straighten also when wet---that's why I consider myself a 3c/4a---but it's not silky; it's more coarse/cottony. I agree with what Curlycrly said---it's all trial and error. I have found very few 3c/4a's whose hair looked exactly like mine.

lavendarlover

In Andre's Book he did not include "C" categories. I used to have the book, but I have since gotten rid of it. The difference btween 4a' and 4b's is that the 4a's actually have an "s" shape vice a "z" shape. Usually 4b's do not have as much shrinkage and are thus able (as he put it in his book) to have Angela Davis type afros without doing blowouts. I am DEFINITELY a 4a. I have little springs throught my hair, and the strands look like little o's when they break off. When I look at Roshini's hair I tend to think 4b, because her hair doesn't look as springy. I think that the whole idea of the hair typing was to see how to best HANDLE the types of hair moreso than figuring out WHAT to use. Hope that helps.

mkstar826

supersonic
CurlyCrly said:
Also, I really think it is very difficult to compare yourself to another's hair by looking at a picture because you do not know what they did to get their hair that way. You can't feel it or see how fine the strands are. For these reasons, I do not compare my hair to anothers and take it seriously. Just my 2 cents. :)

I agree with this. :)

I also think basing your "type" off of relaxed or transitioning hair can be misleading. When I was transitioning, my new growth appeared one way (very loose wave pattern) but when I cut the relaxed ends of my hair looked totally different (pencil width coils hardly any loose waves like before). It's hard to explain but there is a big difference.

SandySea

PittGirl06 said:
found this on accident....

http://www.myindianhair.com/Moreinformation.html

Scroll to the bottom and they give you good pics of hair types....my hair is definitely more 4a than anything else.

Okay, so now I finally know the difference b/t 4a and 4b (not that it really matters much). Looking at the pictures from the above link, I see that I am 4a with looser curl in the back (waves up when brushed wet). It doesn't really matter, but it's cool to finally understand 4a versus 4b. Either way, it's all beautiful. I don't have any new growth pics, but next time I wear braids for a while, I will try to post some.

honeycomb719

SandySea said:
Okay, so now I finally know the difference b/t 4a and 4b (not that it really matters much). Looking at the pictures from the above link, I see that I am 4a with looser curl in the back (waves up when brushed wet). It doesn't really matter, but it's cool to finally understand 4a versus 4b. Either way, it's all beautiful. I don't have any new growth pics, but next time I wear braids for a while, I will try to post some.

Nice to have clarification. Looking forward to viewing your pics :)