To Trim or Not to Trim, That is the Question!

EssentialGrowth

This is a spinoff thread from the poll that asked what would prompt us to trim our hair...

Currently, my ends are very healthy and I plan to continue wearing protective styles until I reach my goal of midback. I DO NOT plan on trimming until my goal is met and that may mean not using scissors on my hair for at least another year.

Right now, my hair is very uneven due to past breakage. My hair to the furthest left reaches bra strap, my hair to the furthest right is one inch shy of bra strap, and a sizeable portion of the middle section is about 3 inches shy of bra strap. Though uneven, my hair is thick, my ends are VERY healthy and I am seeing great progress, especially with the middle section. It is growing and I would hate to see that gone down the drain by trimming to make my hair look presentable when out!

Am I wrong to take this approach? Should I trim to just "even things up"? My stylist did this and my bra strap hair was suddenly at the nape of my neck in a matter of seconds. This was a result of my stylists' attempt to "even things up" and it took me 4 months to get back to where I wanted.

Is trimming a setback or does it really aid us is seeing progress? And have any of you on this board not trimmed or let your hair see a pair of scissors for a year or more, and has this resulted in your ends being unhealthy? Is it even possible for us to have healthy ends after not trimming for a year or more?

Thanks for all your feedback LHCF!!! :grin:

balisi

IMO, I don't agree with this approach of not cutting hair to keep length when it is uneven. :nono: It is not quality growth. I prefer to have shorter, well-kept, neat hair than longer, scraggly, uneven lengths. This is the same as seeing someone with brastrap length hair, but the last two to four inches are see-through. This is just not cute to me. You say that your ends are very healthy, but then you also say that they are uneven due to breakage, which is not healthy. :confused: The bottom line for you should be in determining whether your ends are split or not. If they are split, it would be better to trim them to prevent further loss down the road. If splits are not a problem, and you continue wearing protective styles, you should be able to hold onto them.

sweetpeadst

I would have to agree with Balisi! I see alot of long a hair but if it isn't well kept then what is the point??? I think you should at least be able to wear it own! But if it is working or you who am I to stand in the way!

EssentialGrowth

balisi said:
IMO, I don't agree with this approach of not cutting hair to keep length when it is uneven. :nono: It is not quality growth. I prefer to have shorter, well-kept, neat hair than longer, scraggly, uneven lengths. This is the same as seeing someone with brastrap length hair, but the last two to four inches are see-through. This is just not cute to me. You say that your ends are very healthy, but then you also say that they are uneven due to breakage, which is not healthy. :confused: The bottom line for you should be in determining whether your ends are split or not. If they are split, it would be better to trim them to prevent further loss down the road. If splits are not a problem, and you continue wearing protective styles, you should be able to hold onto them.

Hi Balisi,
I thank you for your immediate response. None of my ends are split, see through, thin or scraggly, its just uneven. I specifically stated that my midsection is shorter than the rest of my hair due to past breakage, meaning that my hair, though shorter now, is very healthy. Its just that my midsection grows much slower than the rest of my hair, and trimming that section IMO would only be a setback for that portion to finally "catch up" with the rest of my hair.
I did even up my hair with my last relaxer, but my hair is growing at the same rate. I just realized that no matter how many trims or cuts it would grow at the same pace, so why not give my hair a chance to even up on its own without me intervening?

Thank you for your wonderful suggestions!! :grin:

CarLiTa

I used to always think uneven hair meant unhealthy hair and needed a trim. I haven't had uneven hair in quite a long time, but my stylist just kept snipping it off, telling me it was damaged, when I could barely see any. I'm recovering from that by not going to her anymore. I understand now that SLIGHTLY UNEVEN hair does NOT mean unhealthy hair, but the way you're talking about your hair, with one side being a whole inch shorter than the other, then I think you definitely need a trim. It's cuter that have it look all even and full and thick, than having long hair with thin/severely uneven ends. My advice is, trim it, not the point where you're losing too much. Just an inch.

balisi

EssentialGrowth, thanks for clarifying. Have you thought of an "angle" cut to blend the different lengths?

WesternEyes

I also think that you should trim/cut your hair to even it out. If your hair is currently growing healthy without any breakage, then cutting it and letting it grow out all even shouldn't be as difficult.

balisi

EssentialGrowth said:
Hmmm ...whats an angle cut and how would the stylist do that? :scratchch
With an angle cut, you would be able to retain the longest length in the back, but the sides would be blended to meet it. Think of a "V" or "U" shape if looking at your head from the back center. Depending on the difference between the shortest and longest starting lengths, a little more may need to be taken off the back to blend properly, without a choppy look. Actually, a choppy, unconstructed cut is another option. I saw this done at a hair show and it was fierce, but there were a lot of interior layers going on. Just something to consider.

hottopic

balisi said:

She said it just right.....

Bmm

I would cut it all even. Just watch stylist like a hawk while she is cutting your hair. Tell her exactly what you want cut, and watch her. Even hair is so much neater. ;)

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I cut my hair into a blunt, even cut back in November. While I liked the look it didn't last, my hair started growing back into a "v" shape. The right side of my hair always grows faster than the left and no matter how I cut or trim my hair it ALWAYS eventually grows back into a "v" shape. I had a stylist that wanted to trim my hair everytime I sat in her chair because she thought even hair is healthier hair.

My point is if you are wearing protective styles until you reach your goal, you could hold off on the trimming if your ends are healthy. A blunt cut may look better but may not be necessary.

balisi

Whether you get it cut this time or not, one thing to remember before getting a trim or cut is to have the stylist show you on the styling comb exactly how much she/he plans to cut from your hair. We tread on dangerous ground when we ask the stylist to cut off only 1/4 inch and then leave it at that. Your 1/4 inch might be her 1/2 inch, so just play it safe and make sure you are both on the same page. ;)

EssentialGrowth

balisi said:
Whether you get it cut this time or not, one thing to remember before getting a trim or cut is to have the stylist show you on the styling comb exactly how much she/he plans to cut from your hair. We tread on dangerous ground when we ask the stylist to cut off only 1/4 inch and then leave it at that. Your 1/4 inch might be her 1/2 inch, so just play it safe and make sure you are both on the same page. ;)

Thanks for that VERY important reminder Balisi, and of course the info on an angle cut. I will look into it if I decide on trimming sooner or later. HHG! :kiss:

simplycee said:
I cut my hair into a blunt, even cut back in November. While I liked the look it didn't last, my hair started growing back into a "v" shape. The right side of my hair always grows faster than the left and no matter how I cut or trim my hair it ALWAYS eventually grows back into a "v" shape. I had a stylist that wanted to trim my hair everytime I sat in her chair because she thought even hair is healthier hair.

My point is if you are wearing protective styles until you reach your goal, you could hold off on the trimming if your ends are healthy. A blunt cut may look better but may not be necessary.

This is the same situation I am grappling with...I just wish all sections of my hair grew at the same pace, but it doesn't look like that would be happening anytime soon. You're right, it may not be all that necessary...unless, of course, I don't see any sort of improvement then I may have no other choice but to trim and settle for one length. In that case, I can say goodbye to ever achieving bra strap length or anything longer :(

balisi

EssentialGrowth said:
Thanks for that VERY important reminder Balisi, and of course the info on an angle cut. I will look into it if I decide on trimming sooner or later. HHG! :kiss:
You're welcome!

This is the same situation I am grappling with...I just wish all sections of my hair grew at the same pace, but it doesn't look like that would be happening anytime soon. You're right, it may not be all that necessary...unless, of course, I don't see any sort of improvement then I may have no other choice but to trim and settle for one length. In that case, I can say goodbye to ever achieving bra strap length or anything longer :(
Don't give up on achieving your goal length. :nono: Be persistent and consistent in taking care of your hair. You might be surprised to find that once your hair reaches a certain length, it starts to do what you want it to. HHG!

BAILEYSCREAM

EssentialGrowth said:
This is a spinoff thread from the poll that asked what would prompt us to trim our hair...

Currently, my ends are very healthy and I plan to continue wearing protective styles until I reach my goal of midback. I DO NOT plan on trimming until my goal is met and that may mean not using scissors on my hair for at least another year.

Right now, my hair is very uneven due to past breakage. My hair to the furthest left reaches bra strap, my hair to the furthest right is one inch shy of bra strap, and a sizeable portion of the middle section is about 3 inches shy of bra strap. Though uneven, my hair is thick, my ends are VERY healthy and I am seeing great progress, especially with the middle section. It is growing and I would hate to see that gone down the drain by trimming to make my hair look presentable when out!

Am I wrong to take this approach? Should I trim to just "even things up"? My stylist did this and my bra strap hair was suddenly at the nape of my neck in a matter of seconds. This was a result of my stylists' attempt to "even things up" and it took me 4 months to get back to where I wanted.

Is trimming a setback or does it really aid us is seeing progress? And have any of you on this board not trimmed or let your hair see a pair of scissors for a year or more, and has this resulted in your ends being unhealthy? Is it even possible for us to have healthy ends after not trimming for a year or more?

Thanks for all your feedback LHCF!!! :grin:

Do what you're happy with.

Personally I like my hair to look even so that when I have it out its all even asnd looks nice. My hair was 4" from brastrap in January when I took out my braids after 3 months, however, because I had really bad breakage particularly on the left hand side kitchen area (my hair was about 4 different lengths in that area) I decided to cut it. Meanwhile on the right side of my head my hair was at armpit length. I decided to cut off 1" and another 1/2" to even up the hair. I have worn my hair in protective styles for the past 3 months and have taken my vits off and on and now the previously broken areas are catching up to the rest.

Because my hair medium (not fine or thick), it looks a lot better when it's all one length or close enough. I had layers a few years back, but they just make the hair look thinner.

I prefer my hair to be one even length as opposed to three or more different lengths, but that's just my personal preference.:)

My hair is currently just sitting in the middle of my shoulder blades, and I would rather it looks like this than how it looked when I took out the braids. So even though I've had a setback with the hair, I know it will grow back even and healthier in the long run. I'm also wearing a baggie from time to time to make sure I don't get any split ends. This will speed up gaining length because I won't have to be cutting/dusting split ends as I normally do.:)

Jewell

I don't plan on trimming until my 1st length goal is met, which is waist length in Dec 05 (11 months apart in trims). I had this "W" going on with my hair (probably breakage from wrapping nightly for a year or something), but the hair in the middle has caught up with the rest, so my hair is even now. My ends are great, I had a trim in Jan 05. Its blunt cut straight across, but if the difference in length is that great, I would even up and maintain, because if that hair doesn't catch up in length to the rest, you may end up sacrificing more length that you bargained for when you meet your goal (that is, if you want a blunt cut). I wear protective styles everyday, and never use heat so my ends should be fine for another 11 mos to a year.

Last edited:

webby

Think Slim
balisi said:
co-signing 100%.
I have chopped off several inches at a time, when my hair was damaged. This drastic measure isn't for everyone, but healthy hair takes precedence to long, unhealthy hair.

I can tell an immediate difference in my hair when I get a dusting/trim. My hair combs easier, it looks better and I retain length, by preventing split ends to creep up the hair shaft.

luvSLave

If your hair was damaged I'd say get the trim. Since you say its not I think you should do what makes you most comfotable. No matter what others think is best, if you don't feel good about the result its not worth it. If it were me and I wanted to wear my hair down I'd get the trim, splits or no, for aesthetics. If I planned to wear protective styles I'd forgo the trim. I actually did something similar to this when I first started growing out my layers. The longer peices gave me styling versatility so I wouldn't get bored wearing my hair up all the time.