To Trim or Not Trim...that is the question

trendsetta25

I tried something different this weekend. I relaxed my hair after 13 weeks instead of my usual 24 weeks (my relax regimen can be found here). After relaxing i was pleased to see that my hair is slowly but surely getting to BSL until i blow dried my hair and saw that i will need to trim it back to above APL :crying3:.

I'm torn between leaving it alone since i plan on bunning and wigging it until i reach BSL or trimming it. If i trim it then i loose A LOT of hair and I'm basically starting all over. This is so sad to see. I really wish i didn't color my hair last year.

It seems like every time i reach BSB i have to cut my hair. When will i ever get to BSL??? :cry2:

Suggestions?

Click Here for a pictorial of my hair journey

ms.blue

I say I think you need to trim your hair. It looks like you are suffering breakage especially on the left side. Also what have you been using that could be causing the breakage?

Ronnieaj

Well, are your ends split or frayed? Because if not, I wouldn't bother trimming it. If the ends are a problem then you have to do what you have to do. But if they're not, I would leave it be. And if I were to trim, I wouldn't take off nearly as much as you're suggesting. I would trim it into a U-shape, which appears to be how your hair grows, and take off at least an inch to 1.5 inches less than you marked.

Good luck, whatever your decision!!

CurlsBazillion

I say trim but not as much as you have marked. Are you using protein often enough? I ask since your hair is colored and relaxed your hair could need more of everything especially protein. I hope you get that breakage under control, good luck!

MsDee14

I say trim but not as much as you have marked. Are you using protein often enough? I ask since your hair is colored and relaxed your hair could need more of everything especially protein. I hope you get that breakage under control, good luck!

I agree. Trim a little more below the red line right where the thickness stops.

trendsetta25

CurlsBazillion yup! I do a hard core protein treatment every 8-10 weeks and the aphogee 2 min every month.

trendsetta25

Well, are your ends split or frayed? Because if not, I wouldn't bother trimming it. If the ends are a problem then you have to do what you have to do. But if they're not, I would leave it be. And if I were to trim, I wouldn't take off nearly as much as you're suggesting. I would trim it into a U-shape, which appears to be how your hair grows, and take off at least an inch to 1.5 inches less than you marked.

Good luck, whatever your decision!!

Ronniea nope no split ends

CurlsBazillion

@CurlsBazillion yup! I do a hard core protein treatment every 8-10 weeks and the aphogee 2 min every month.
trendsetta25 this may come as a surprise but I do reconstructor every other week. I used to use Joico Kpak (not sure what level of protein that falls in) but right now I'm using Matrix Biolage strengthening conditioner. Its lighter than I thought it would be and it left my hair soft so I may use it weekly but the point is even though I'm natural I had to find out the hard way that my hair needed more protein than what I believed. If I were you I would up the aphogee 2min up to every other week.

belletropjolie

trendsetta25 just a thought if you have no split ends and no continued damage why not continue to just baby your ends. Are you thinking of trimming for aesthetic reasons or health?

I ask because I'm recovering from a few set backs from last year (literally sections where I had 4" of hair). If I had cut all my other non damaged ends to o where I had breakage I would be neck length right now. I babied my ends (like hardcore ps) and my hair is doing fine and I'm retaining. Yes my ends are thinner towards the bottom but not excessively so

EbonyCPrincess

I commented on your blog, so here I will just say trim/cut. I think you'll be happier especially since you know what caused the damage (color).

FoxxyLocs

I'd trim. I really don't see the point in hanging on to thin ends. I'm sorry you have to cut though. You've been making good progress.

Evolving78

i would say trim but not that much. just cut where the hair starts to get thin. around APL i guess? you will be back to BSB in no time.

Mjon912

Personally I don't trim for evenness, more for health so I would definitely cut the
Left side since its very see through and damaged looking and since your bunning and wearing wigs, dust/small Trim the right and just nurse each side... No one will be seeing the length of your hair so the un evenness shouldn't matter...give your left side a chance to catch up with your right while sill working toward your goals, your right side doesn't look like it needs nearly as much cut of as your left

Eta: looking at the pic again I would up the left where you put he red lie and the. Right where the thickness stops/where the bra strap adjustment thing is

Last edited:

ManeStreet

trim u shaped. I dont u need to go all the way up to the red line. Just so that the right side meets up with the left.

auparavant

Oil your ends and don't cut. If your goal is to grow past that point, let it grow. Depends upon how you style your hair.