Today's horror story: My co-worker's regimen...

LivingDoll

I agree with the other ladies...there's nothing nasty about waiting 2 weeks to wash your hair. There are women who get braids and leave them in for 3-4 months without washing. Now, I couldn't do that but if it works for them...

Personally, I poo 1x a week in winter, 2x a week in summer. There are some women here who cowash everyday...I certainly couldn't do that. Too much manipulation for me.

Last edited:

enscott14

That is soooo disgusting and very unhealthy for your hair. So let me get this straight.....even with all the product build up that the stylist does, she STILL doesn't wash it in between? :nono:

enscott14

And when I say wash I mean co-wash as well. It's one thing to not wash your hair with shampoo, but I would think you would at least want to co-wash to get some of the product out while keeping it moisturized.

I don't know that's just me. I definitely don't wash my hair with shampoo every single week, but I will co-wash it or ACV it at least.

pink gator

I think what is so horrible about it is the fact that she doesnt wash her hair but every other month. That is what Bimonthly means.
You wash your body everyday (I hope we all do) so why would you wash your hair everyother month. I am not saying wash your hair everyday but once a week...heck everyother week is better than everyother month.

I am sorry if I offend anyone and I truly mean that. Personally I think thats reflects poor hygene.

Someone else said that frequent washes is a luxury not a necessity and I think that is not correct. To cleanse ones body is also a way of dissinfecting ones self of germs. I work in a clinic and we are expected to rid ourselves of certain debris (germs) we may pick up from shaking hands or sweating. This is most definately a necessity. Again poor hygene. Without proper hygene we have the spread of disease.

I TOTALLY agree.

I've been reading y'all's replies, and you all make a great point.

When I was locked, I used to shampoo once a month. When I took them down six years later, I had more lint and gook than shed hair. When I graduated from college, my $18K/year job only afforded biweekly washes and my skin was an absolute mess because of buildup.

I've been there, too. But what freaked me out was the dry-brushing method on relaxed hair.

Atlanta is TOO smoggy and dusty outside not to shampoo one's hair more often. I understand the "frequent washes is a luxury thing," too, but I'm talking about an upper middle-class sistah who basically eschews washing her hair.

Perhaps I'm trippin' cuz y'all have turned me into a bona fide hair snob.:rolleyes:

pink gator

hey..im confused..is it every 2 weeks or every 2 months?
im a every 2-3 week washer and my hair never smelled..ever. no lint or gunk unless i was rollin on the floor..lol. even if it was 2 months.. diff strokes for diff folks. u said their hair still looked good right..lol

...ok, I'm an editor by profession, and y'all done made me pull out my dictionary cuz I'm now confused! LOL!

According to Webster's: "bimonthly" is twice a month, even though the preferred term is "semi-monthly." LOL! That's how often she gets her hair washed.

In defense of the ladies who are biweekly washers, it's all good. If your hair doesn't smell or look like helmet--or if it does--and you're cool with that, it's cool with me.

My co-worker swears I wash my hair too much. She says I'll strip it.:lachen: But I also work out 5 days a week, take spinning classes 3x a week and am a chronic head sweat-ter. My head will sweat if I walk down the block in 30-degree weather... so constant poos and co-washes are my reality and necessity.

pink gator

That is soooo disgusting and very unhealthy for your hair. So let me get this straight.....even with all the product build up that the stylist does, she STILL doesn't wash it in between? :nono:

EXACTLY, homie! No upkeep whatsoever. I'm surprised that her stylist doesn't say anything, but we all know about stylists who aren't up on "proper hair care"...this is why I have super healthy care now that I'm a DIY-er...all a stylist can ever do for me is gimme a trim!:lachen:

Cassandra1975

My co-worker swears I wash my hair too much. She says I'll strip it.:lachen: But I also work out 5 days a week, take spinning classes 3x a week and am a chronic head sweat-ter. My head will sweat if I walk down the block in 30-degree weather... so constant poos and co-washes are my reality and necessity.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who sweats like crazy. I can go to sleep feeling cold and with it being cool in the room, but invariably wake up and have been sweating. It's crazy!

I'm there with you on the work outs. I sweat like crazy. After I've been on the treadmill for 7 minutes I already have sweat dripping down my temple. I try to work out every other day, so I am co-washing 3-4 times a week. There's no way I can do anything to my hair with all that sweat and salt on the roots. She would think I wash my hair too much as well. :grin:

gorgeous86

EXACTLY, homie! No upkeep whatsoever. I'm surprised that her stylist doesn't say anything, but we all know about stylists who aren't up on "proper hair care"...this is why I have super healthy care now that I'm a DIY-er...all a stylist can ever do for me is gimme a trim!:lachen:

What would her stylist have to say?
You said that her hair looks "flyy", right? "They literally do NO maintenance at home. But somehow they manage to look pretty flyy." If their hair looks flyy then i'm assuming it is somewhat healthy, so what would the stylist have to say about healthy hair? I doubt that her hair has an odor or looks dirty enough that her stylist would have something to say. You only need to be within a few feet of a person to smell body/scalp odor or see dirty hair. If you two are close and you haven't smelled or seen anything yet, then I doubt the stylist would.

(I'm not being defensive. I wash my hair @ least 2x per week. I'm just trying to understand what's wrong with washing hair 2x per month:yep:, especially if it works for that person and their hair looks "flyy")

Last edited:

SparklingFlame

I think what is so horrible about it is the fact that she doesnt wash her hair but every other month. That is what Bimonthly means.
You wash your body everyday (I hope we all do) so why would you wash your hair everyother month. I am not saying wash your hair everyday but once a week...heck everyother week is better than everyother month.

I am sorry if I offend anyone and I truly mean that. Personally I think thats reflects poor hygene.

Someone else said that frequent washes is a luxury not a necessity and I think that is not correct. To cleanse ones body is also a way of dissinfecting ones self of germs. I work in a clinic and we are expected to rid ourselves of certain debris (germs) we may pick up from shaking hands or sweating. This is most definately a necessity. Again poor hygene. Without proper hygene we have the spread of disease.
Bi monthly means 2 times per month not every other month.

vkb247

Someone else said that frequent washes is a luxury not a necessity and I think that is not correct.

This is not a matter of opinion. There are plenty of places in the world where people have problems finding clean water to drink, let alone get a bath and wash their hair. Clean, running, limitless supplies of water inside of your home is undisputably a luxury.

My co-worker swears I wash my hair too much. She says I'll strip it.:lachen:

I think it is strange that you think this is funny. Most shampoos have harsh sulfates that will strip your hair. That is why ladies on this site cowash and seek out mild, moisturizing shampoos. But we only do these things because we are knowledgeable about hair product ingredients and their effect on our hair.

For someone who doesn't know much about hair not washing infrequently is a way to avoid that stripping effect that comes with harsh shampoos.

Last edited:

Carrie A

I wash my hair more frequently now after the hair boards. Now that I'm natural I have to wet my hair often. My hair feels much fresher than before LHCF but I don't see anything all that wrong with washing every two weeks. At least they get lint out. Like those shampoo-less cleansing powders. I would venture that every two weeks is pretty standard for non hair board AA women.

SparklingFlame

I aint even gonna lie.

Back in the day I NEVER washed my hair at home. I got it done once a month at the salon and guess what? My hair never stank. I had a short hair cut, only about 3 inches of hair and I only got it done at the salon come relaxer time. My scalp never sweats so I imagine thats how I was able to get away with it.

I had that regiman for a minute too.

I'm still waiting to hear what's so horrible about this....

There is nothing wrong with waiting 2 or 3 weeks, but it's different when you are doing a 2 or 3 weeks wash stretch than waiting 2 or 3 weeks to go to the salon to get your hair done......IMO, it's just a waste of money, and what's wrong with washing your own hair? I mean I'm sure they are not doing what the other ladies on broad are doing, it's not horrible, but different.....

LivingDoll

I aint even gonna lie.

Back in the day I NEVER washed my hair at home. I got it done once a month at the salon and guess what? My hair never stank. I had a short hair cut, only about 3 inches of hair and I only got it done at the salon come relaxer time. My scalp never sweats so I imagine thats how I was able to get away with it.

I had that regiman for a minute too.

me too. there are probably millions of black women only washing their hair 2x a month.

joining a hair board hasn't made me a snob.

GeorginaSparks

isnt this what most of us did before joining the boards? :look: and some of us still do it because everyone's hair is different ....

Son26

I actually envy people who can go 2 weeks without washing their hair. I have to wash it at least twice a week or it will smell.

Actually, me and my mom have done that before to get the obvious dandruff off the top. It wasn't because we didn't wash it was just a few moments of desperation when we couldn't wash our hair but still wanted it to look presentable. There was no time of waste of money or jumping up to go to the store to grab a cute scarf, hat or weave to cover it. Some times our water usage had to limited in our area because of low land. The static in the stocking attracts the drandruff or dry scalp (he#ll, sometimes it was just shampoo or conditioner residue and granny be d@mn if you jump in the sink or the shower to rinse your hair and waste water). It's not as weird as you think! You have ALL brushed your hair at some point and gotten static. Well just place a stocking over it and let the brush bristles poke through it. As you brush your hair the dandruff, lint, etc. sticks to the stocking and doesn't go into your brush. It's as simple as that.

And I agree with the ones calling out others that have seem to forgot where they came from and didn't know anything about frequent washing and washing your hair every other week was the norm; and it still it for MOST.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I don't see anything wrong with them washing their hair every two weeks. Quite a few of my hair inspirations only wash their hair every two or three weeks. Anyway it's the brushing out of the lint that caught my attention...

LivingDoll

Actually, me and my mom have done that before to get the obvious dandruff off the top. It wasn't because we didn't wash it was just a few moments of desperation when we couldn't wash our hair but still wanted it to look presentable. There was no time of waste of money or jumping up to go to the store to grab a cute scarf, hat or weave to cover it. Some times our water usage had to limited in our area because of low land. The static in the stocking attracts the drandruff or dry scalp (he#ll, sometimes it was just shampoo or conditioner residue and granny be d@mn if you jump in the sink or the shower to rinse your hair and waste water). It's not as weird as you think! You have ALL brushed your hair at some point and gotten static. Well just place a stocking over it and let the brush bristles poke through it. As you brush your hair the dandruff, lint, etc. sticks to the stocking and doesn't go into your brush. It's as simple as that.

And I agree with the ones calling out others that have seem to forgot where they came from and didn't know anything about frequent washing and washing your hair every other week was the norm; and it still it for MOST.

Before this thread, I'd never heard of the stocking cap method.

But yeah, you have to keep in mind that we are all blessed to have found such valuable information on this site. We can't forget there are less than 50,000 members here (i think and maybe a few thousand lurkers)...so that means that millions of women are still ill-informed. Even with that being said, we still can't assume that after everything we've learned, everything we choose to do is right for everyone else, you know? Even here, there are a lot of ladies that are not DIYers. That means they have to wait to have someone else do their hair. In this economy no one has $ like that to go to the salon every week.

You have to think 9 times out of 10, someone waiting to get their hair done religiously every two weeks is not a DIY kind of person.

DMJ's Mom

That's really not too bad there are plenty of ladies that state in their reggies they wash 2x a month but moisturize regularly as long as the hair is healthy i don't see anything wrong with it.

SherryLove

I wash and DC my hair every two weeks, and my hair seems to be healthier than a lot of folks who get their hair done more often than that. and plus, one time I went six months without washing my hair; and I really do believe that my hair grew the most it has ever grown during that time. LOL.....I guess it all boils down to whatever works for your hair......

LivingDoll

I wash and DC my hair every two weeks, and my hair seems to be healthier than a lot of folks who get their hair done more often than that. and plus, one time I went six months without washing my hair; and I really do believe that my hair grew the most it has ever grown during that time. LOL.....I guess it all boils down to whatever works for your hair......

:worship2:

sylver2

i always try to go longer without washing but my scalp is dry and i get flakes, thats the only reason i end up washing it. the longest i got to was a month.
how did u wear it when u didn't wash for 6 months?