Toe in the Water, I think I'm ready....

Amarech

Amongst other things I'm going to deal with in 2007, I think I'm ready to try a
lye relaxer. I was so afraid (what for?!?) to put in a lye relaxer because i've used no lye all my life, but then I was like, forget it. I've heard so many good things about lye relaxers that I'm willing to give it a try.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good lye relaxer? Let me eliminate two before anyone gets started:

Motions: Something that they put in their entire line irritates my scalp. Its bad.

Mizani: I self relax and I don't think you can buy Mizani at the BSS. They might have it at Sally's but you have to have a license to buy certain relaxers there (I hate that about Sally's!).

Taij said:
Amongst other things I'm going to deal with in 2007, I think I'm ready to try a
lye relaxer. I was so afraid (what for?!?) to put in a lye relaxer because i've used no lye all my life, but then I was like, forget it. I've heard so many good things about lye relaxers that I'm willing to give it a try.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good lye relaxer? Let me eliminate two before anyone gets started:

Motions: Something that they put in their entire line irritates my scalp. Its bad.

Mizani: I self relax and I don't think you can buy Mizani at the BSS. They might have it at Sally's but you have to have a license to buy certain relaxers there (I hate that about Sally's!).

Affirm Lye has been used on my hair before. It's really good. But be sure you use a good scalp protective treatment before using a lye relaxer.

I self-relax and use Silk Elements regular and really like it. Before SE I used Affirm regular at the salon and my hair was plastered to my head. With SE my hair has body and seems thicker--not so bone straight. Didn't burn my scalp at all (I'm not usually a burner though; I have a "steel scalp", a stylist used to tell me :lachen:)

Didn't burn my scalp at all (I'm not usually a burner though; I have a "steel scalp", a stylist used to tell me )

Wow you're lucky! I don't think I have a "steel scalp". I don't necessarily burn easily either. If the relaxer is applied properly (as in not on the scalp!) I do fine until its time to rinse it out. But if it gets on my scalp I go crazy in about 5 min.

All I can say is strand test FIRST! You don't want to find out that lye relaxers don't work on your hair--after you've done your whole head. NOT fun. :(

I too am switching to lye relaxers starting with my next touch up. I can't buy it where I am right, so I purchased it from another member on this board and she's shipping it to me. I'm sooooo excited too b/c I've heard a lot of good things about SE's lye relaxer. Good Luck!!!

Back