Told Ya White Women Get Weaves!! Chris Rock Needs to See This!!

AvaSpeaks

AvaSpeaks

Everyone knows white woman get weaves.

Hmm, this fact can be debated because in his movie, he made it seem like if AA women had long hair, most likely it's a weave. Remember, Sheri Sheppard made that assumption as well on The View.

Yet if a White woman comes out with long hair, then most would assume that her hair just grew out. I mean most of us probably did it all the time until we knew better.

BlackMasterPiece

Its true some white women get weaves I just ran into my cousin at a restaurant last week she was sitting with her white friend and it was sooooo funny to see how they flew in the face of the stereotypes, the polish girl had the most unbeweaveable bright blonde weave and my cousin had really pretty auburn colored apl hair that was all hers and it was sooo ironic to me.

However, its not nearly as prevalent as it is on Black women, if we're talking about the entertainment and celebrity community, its about even, because they have to perform and always achieve this over the top kind of look but in terms of just the regular American population, Black women do it WAY more.

Plus no offense to anyone but whats with this need to be like LOOK!!!! LOOK!!!! They do it too, so its the same thing!! No its not the same.

Last edited:

laurend

Its true some white women get weaves I just ran into my cousin at a restaurant last week she was sitting with her white friend and it was sooooo funny to see how they flew in the face of the stereotypes, the polish girl had the most unbeweaveable bright blonde weave and my cousin had really pretty auburn colored apl hair that was all hers and it was sooo ironic to me.

However, its not nearly as prevalent as it is on Black women, if we're talking about the entertainment and celebrity community, its about even, because they have to perform and always achieve this over the top kind of look but in terms of just the regular American population, Black women do it WAY more.

Plus no offense to anyone but whats with this need to be like LOOK!!!! LOOK!!!! They do it too, so its the same thing!! No its not the same.

I don't know any white women I'm around who have a weave IRL but I know plenty of AA women.

hairsothick

Black and Magical
Yes, white women get weaves, but not at the same rate that black women do.

Sorry, you can't use "white ppl do it too."

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Hmm, this fact can be debated because in his movie, he made it seem like if AA women had long hair, most likely it's a weave. Remember, Sheri Sheppard made that assumption as well on The View.

Yet if a White woman comes out with long hair, then most would assume that her hair just grew out. I mean most of us probably did it all the time until we knew better.

But for the most part, white people get weave because they want long hair and they want it now. Or they get it to add some fullness to their hair. I'm pretty sure that most white women know that if they really wanted long hair permanently, they could grow it themselves.
Most black women get weave because they want long hair, want it now, and really believe that they can't grow it from their own scalps. And then to take it a step further, some black women get that long long long silky straight weave in order to front like it's theirs and start talking some..yeah, I got some irish and some native american and a little bit of chinese in me....I'm not black. :rolleyes:
That may not be the way it is here, but in the real world, that still how alot of people are. It's sad, but it's oh so true.

So yeah, white women get weave too, but it's still not the same thing.

ceebee3

They were wearing weaves long before we were.

I have 2 yt ladies at my job who pay a lot of money each month for their extensions, they don't have weaves but they do have pieces added in for length and thickness.

It just does not look strange or different on them because it actually matches their natural hair texture.

Neith

Am I wrong for not caring what white women do at this very moment? :lol:

I think "we" worry too much about what "others" think of "us" sometimes. :look:

It just makes me sad, the level of ignorance from all sides!.... in 2009. :nono:

melissa-bee

And it's not breaking news where you have to post it in two forums. The only thing that is suprising is the amount of money they spend, when they can apparently grow their own hair with no problems.

AvaSpeaks

And it's not breaking news where you have to post it in two forums. The only thing that is suprising is the amount of money they spend, when they can apparently grow their own hair with no problems.

It's not breaking news yet you saw that I post it in two forums.

Good grief. It was just a comment on how it would had been interesting if Chris had explored this in his movie. Remember, this forum that we are on is the EXCEPTION not the rule.

Leesh

Here where I live, They are getting them a darn near the same rate as Us, It has definately taken off, Our BSS's are filled with them.

dynamic1

People realize white women get extesions, weave, etc. They see the Great Lengths ads in newspapers and local mags.

The movie wasn't about what white women do.

Call me when white women corner 80% of the hair market (or even 50%) or when they start wearing highly textured hair at the same rate black women wear straight weaves.

YankeeCandle

OP, I see your point. There's this big media hoopla, not just with Chris Rock, but with Tyra's show, Oprah, comedians, etc. over African-ancestry women's weaves, but not other ethnicities'. I chalk it up to the usual "Majority as defualt" syndrome: Europeans are the power-majority in the Anglophone world, so whatever is European is taken as the default, the tacit "norm." Anything perceived as "deviating" from that is suddenly a hot topic to ogle.

I don't think you thought you were breakin' news to any of us in here. :grin: I think you were just making a statement about the American media and entertainment complex in general, and their deliberate misinformation about African-ancestry hair and haircare.

I do like and agree with the various psychological explanations other posters have offered (about the varying reasons between why Euro-ancestry women and African-ancestry women get weaves).

Though, really, if we break it down even further to the most common denominator, all weave-wearers have the same deep-down psychological motivation. It's the same motivation that drives people with shaved heads; the dreadlocked; the tattoed; the 19th century Chinese foot-bound; and the haute couture-fashionista alike : adorn ourselves and manipulate/decorate our interesting bodies in the way human beings always have and always will. :bdance:

vkb247

Wasn't Chris Rock on Oprah talking about how all of the white women in the audience had weaves? or something like that right?

Sugar

In L.A. its almost unusual to see a woman without a weave...Black, White, Latina, or Asian...

AvaSpeaks

OP, I see your point. There's this big media hoopla, not just with Chris Rock, but with Tyra's show, Oprah, comedians, etc. over African-ancestry women's weaves, but not other ethnicities'. I chalk it up to the usual "Majority as defualt" syndrome: Europeans are the power-majority in the Anglophone world, so whatever is European is taken as the default, the tacit "norm." Anything perceived as "deviating" from that is suddenly a hot topic to ogle.

I don't think you thought you were breakin' news to any of us in here. :grin: I think you were just making a statement about the American media and entertainment complex in general, and their deliberate misinformation about African-ancestry hair and haircare.

I do like and agree with the various psychological explanations other posters have offered (about the varying reasons between why Euro-ancestry women and African-ancestry women get weaves).

Though, really, if we break it down even further to the most common denominator, all weave-wearers have the same deep-down psychological motivation. It's the same motivation that drives people with shaved heads; the dreadlocked; the tattoed; the 19th century Chinese foot-bound; and the haute couture-fashionista alike : adorn ourselves and manipulate/decorate our interesting bodies in the way human beings always have and always will. :bdance:

Thank you Yankee Candle! I didn't think that the message was going to get so misintrepreted in the post. Especially after all of the complaints that people have been posting lately on how Chris and Tyra and Sherri have been approaching the issue of hair weaves and hair length and Black women in this country. You would be surprised at how many people really would believe that is all Ashley's hair. Or at the most surprising, wouldn't question it.

I'm in Chicago and there are a lot of non-Black women rocking weaves and extensions. But again, when they do it, nobody says anything. Why? Becuase people are used to seeing them with longer hair anyway.

Whereas when we have longer hair, the assumption, alot of times is that we have a weave. That's really the discussion I was trying to start with my point.

shunemite

OF COURSE they do! Isn't it the statistic that 60% of extensions WORLDWIDE are purchased by caucasians? Along with 60% of people on welfare are white (food stamps, housing all of it), and 60% of rap music is purchased by caucasians, at least 40% of it by white females.

changingSeasons

Thanks OP for starting this post. the responses have been inetresting! I think many people know some white women wear weaves and comsteic surgery at higere rates than AA women. Its interesting though because it is something that is not talked about in our community, because our perception is that our hair will Not grow to those lengths. I think as this changes so will the mood and tone of the discussion in the media.

naturalmanenyc

No surprise there. White women have been wearing weave & lace wigs forever. Strand by strand aka "fusion" weave takes all day to install. It's probably less time than microbraids although the width of the hair is about the same as micros.

For all you Twilight Fans, you know who Ashley Greene is.

But for those who don't, she plays Alice in the Twilight movies. This chick spent 9 hours getting her hair extensions!!!

Wish Chris Rock could had put this in his "Good Hair" movie. Somebody should had mentioned in that movie about how countless non-Black celebs get or have extensions in their hair :perplexed

http://www.dailyfill.com/Ashley-Greene-Needs-Nine-Hours-To-Get-A-Weave-On-Her-Giant-Head-39444/