Torn between relaxing or continuing my transition....

Katherina

I say wait until you're absolutely sure you want to relax. i have several friends who transitioned to become "straight naturals," and they like it :).

nomoweavesfome

I think u shuld give it time. I'm also in the same boat. I want a straight look like right now! But i sad if I get one i'll get a wig- it's just that when I look at the straight wigs, something instantly makes me feel like a sell out, so I keep it going on this transition. I look back at every time I wanted to relax, I'm glad that I made the decision to wait regardless of my"straight" feelings.

brownbean96

So true. I think a lot of people underestimate how mental/emotional transitioning CAN be. OP - If you've been natural most of your life then transitioning to natural hair will take some getting used to. And you might feel like being straight once in awhile. It's a natural feeling. Having relaxed hair is part of the African American culture.

It's ironic becuase I had the same thought to relax at the same point in my transition (9 months). I took some time with it and understood that my main goal was to have long, healthy, chemical free hair. So I meditated on those thoughts through the nataural 'straight - hair' reflex and got trhough it. I also honored the feeling and straightened (flat-ironed) my hair. It helped deal with what I was feeling (wanting straight hair) and also affirmed that I would never want straight hair all the time. I love the flexibility and health of my natural hair.

If you feel like you want straight hair - flat iron it, get it straightened and see how you feel afterward.

I'm getting the itch to straighten too. But it's not worth the trouble (an expensive trip to my stylist or buy a CHI, FHI, GHD and heat protectant then spend 2-3 hours trying to get it right) for me. So back in the bun we go :).

I am hoping that you hang in there, OP. But, alas, transitioning is also a psychological journey so please do what's right for you and don't feel bad about it.

wontonfm

I was going through the same thing earlier this week! My decision to stop getting relaxers was mainly due to not wanting the chemicals.
Rollersetting has really been working for my hair while transitioning. I roller set and then flat iron the roots and I'm good to go!

Good luck!

sexylonglegs

Same shoes I'm in... I almost wanna just cut all my hair off and if I prefer relaxed over natural I can just relax again. But this transition is getting tiresome. I think around 9 months post I'll do a BC. I'm not worried about losing length, even though I haven't had hair this long as an adult, it'll grow back that I do know. I kinda just wanna be natural already. At one time I wanted length over natural hair, now the feeling is reversed.

Since you don't know, I'd suggest doing a style where you can leave your hair alone for a month or two. Maybe braids or twists...

Girl, I am going through the same thing. My hair has never been this long as an adult either so it's hard for me to just cut it off. But going natural means more to me than length. Good luck on your journey:ohwell: