touch-up- straight roots and curly hair?

mirrormirror

Here's my story

I got my first relaxer when I was 13 and my hair dresser applied it from root to tips. (I have had a major setback the most recent as when had to cut off most of my hair a few years ago because of permanent bleaching damage. But my hair is back to normal.) After my first relaxer my hairdresser only applies the relaxer (touch-up) to the roots. And she has been doing this all these years. But the thing is when I get my roots touched up and wash my hair, my roots are super straight and the rest of my hair is all curly/wavy. And now I know why I never notice a difference when a touchup is due is because the new growth matches with the rest of my hair. I am so confused about this.

Im wondering if I should let her pull the relaxer through all my hair so it is all the same texture, straight? I hope this all makes sense.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I don't think you should get a complete pull-through. That's just my opinion though. Perhaps your hair is a little resistant to the strength of relaxer you're getting. If that is the case, check to see that your roots, which are now straight, turn curly in a few days or a week.

Also, your hair could be reverting for some reason. I have found that since beginning my vitamin regimen, my hair doesn't get as straight with the relaxer. I believe it has something to do with my new growth being stronger and having more cysteine bonds that need to be broken down to straighten the hair.

mirrormirror

My roots remains straight for about two months, then it gets slightly wavy by the third amount, but it is still sorta straight.You really wouldn't be able to notice a difference. If I airdry my hair my roots are stright but the rest of my hair dries in loose soft curls.

mirrormirror

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Supergirl said:
Also, your hair could be reverting for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is not getting my hair straight, because when I get my new growth touched-up, its super straight and it barely reverts for a few months. The problem is that the remainder of my hair is curls.

ComfortablyNumb

Hello!
I was having the same problem when I was getting perms. My curls would just not get straight. They would look straight immediately after washing the perm out but eventually they would look curly again. It was almost as if I didn't put a relaxer in but some sort of straightening balm that would wear off quickly. This was why I stopped getting relaxers altogether, because I was very tempted (like you seem to be now) to put relaxer on hair that has already been relaxed. I am no expert but I think that would be a bad idea.

Adrian3bc

This happens to me to and i have used every relaxer strength. I would advise you to leave it alone relaxing the ends will cause nasty damage. I flat iron my curls when i want the straight look and wrap so it will last and heat wont need to be used regularly.

shahala

Hi, I'm a long time lurker/member, first time poster. Please don't do the pull through. I tried it because the same thing would happen to me and it messed my hair up. No matter what strength relaxer I used, my roots would be straight and the rest of my hair would be wavy/curly. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never have totally straight hair unless I blowdry and flatiron, and to be honest the curly/waviness gives my hair more versatility.

Tracy

I think pull throughs are a bad idea most of the time. And when they are done (with extreme caution) they should really only be done on truly underprocessed hair. it sounds to me like someone said before that your hair is just strong and doesn't break down to mush during the relaxer process (a good thing) and gets a little of it's curl back (a really good thing). As long as it does this consistently and it's not creating two textures that are fighting eachother, then I wouldn't worry.

Brownie

mirrormirror,
If you like your curly, wavy ends. Maybe you should try just getting your new growth texturized (leave the relaxer on for less time)--that way your hair will look more uniform. Should you have it pulled through? I wouldn't. Like everyone said, you can always get all your hair straight other ways.