Transitioners - Have you noticed any differences in your hair?

Innocent_Kiss

I technically started transitioning August 1, 2004 -- but was temporarily transitioning until my hair reached a decent length. This decision became permanent short after (08/01/04). Anyway, about two months ago I relaxed my edges when I had kinky twist in. My edges NEVER grew out and I usually had really thin or bald spots at my hairline. It's filled in GREAT and is FINALLY getting some length. I thought relaxers had caused permanent damage to my edges because they never grew. I wish I would've gotten rid of that stuff a long time ago. Anybody seen in any significant changes in their hair since you've been transitioning?

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
I have! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I've noticed that my new growth is coming in super thick and it's a lot healthier than the relaxed ends are. Like you...my edges were also kind of thin. With the help of scalp massages and laying off of the chemicals...my edges are really starting to grow in nicely. I can't wait until my natural hair gains some more inches...so that I can start trimming off more of these relaxed ends.

Best of luck to you in your transitioning journey!

bklyncurly

I guess the biggest difference is that my relaxed hair luved oil (any kind!) particularly the oil sheen in the can. But, my natural hair doesn't really like a lot of oil. I use oil on my ends and a tiny bit through my hair. But, it's just weird that the straight relaxed hair luved oil, and the curly, kinky hair just kind of tolerates the oil. I still can't figure that one out!
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ChildlikeEmpress

Heh, I'm not a transitioner. I just chopped my hair down to about an inch in January and worked with it from there.

There are some notable differences, though, between my hair when it was relaxed and what I've got now. My relaxed hair always felt like straw; my natural hair feels like silky cotton fluff. My relaxed hair was almost always dull and brittle, not matter what I put in it; my natural hair has a nice shine to it even without products. I HATED my hair when it was relaxed and was always fighting with it; I love my hair in its natural state, and I'm always caring for it and playing in it. *g* My natural hair is much prettier than my relaxed hair was, too! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~Rochelle. /images/graemlins/Rose.gif

Innocent_Kiss

It's nice to hear all the success stories! Thanks Erica! Rochelle, I know what you mean, girl. I was always struggling with my relaxed hair, too. Nothing made my hair moisturized or soft ..it always felt dry and brittle. My hair just wouldn't prosper with the chemicals I was putting to my tresses so often. I'm glad it didn't, though. I would have probably never considered transitioning. I LUV the bling bling look I have, too. No products needed. Sheen is a wonderful thing /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have 10 weeks of new growth and my new growth is spirally! I can't wait until it gets longer so I can get rid of my relaxed ends!

SilkyandSmooth

Other than the obvious texture change, for me it would be the thickness of my new growth. My new growth is a lot thicker than my relaxed ends and I am loving it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Innocent_Kiss

[ QUOTE ]
I have 10 weeks of new growth and my new growth is spirally! I can't wait until it gets longer so I can get rid of my relaxed ends!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know EXACTLY how you feel, Poohbear! I'm snipping off relaxed ends every chance I get. I have a lot of different textures on my head. Some is Z like, some spirally, some even 3b.

LadyCapri

I am enjoying this hair journey. I have not relaxed my hair since 6/04 and I am not going back to the chemicals. It does not agree with my hair. My natural hair is a wavy/curly texture that holds moisture very well. My relaxed ends are holding up but does not hold moisture at all. I can't wait to be 100% natural!!!

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
Hello every one I've been reading for a month or so but this is my inaugural post!!
/images/graemlins/wave.gif
I am transitioning and I don't see myself relaxing any time soon. I've had a perm on and off since jr high(many moons ago) due to my pressing comb phobia. Because I would have a lot of new growth in a few weeks I would comb through it and pop it off at the roots so I never had length, duhhh. But I must say my hair looks soooo much healthier. the relaxer turned my hair a dull ugly color and now it's so black and shiny when i press it and thicker. Since I'm learning to take care of my natural hair (thanks to all you lovely ladys) i'm lovin' my hair for the first time, and I think that's most significant change.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
Getting my thick hair back has been an amazing experience.

I now have this superthick hair, although my natural hair has always been thick, but i've got the thin curly permed hair sitting awkardly on top! lol

Getting braids in either this weekend or next weekend, and I hope to have them in till mid/end november, with a new style for christmas.

x