Transitioners Please help my hair is a tangled mess!!

cdixon

I just finished washing, deep conditioning and giving myself a protein treatment, and for the past few weeks, my hair has not had as much slip as it usually does, even though I'm 3 months post, I usually have a good amount of slip. A few weeks ago I tried a honey rinse, and it tangled my hair, and then I had the Miss Keys 10 en 1 and that tangled my hair as well. My hair has not really been the same ever since this. Do you think it's because I'm using shampoo? I'm not sure what to do, I just finished putting rollers in my hair for a ponytail rollerset, but I know I lost quite a bit of hair because my hair was knotty. I'm trying to go natural but the way my hair is tangling has me thinking about getting a relaxer. Please please help!!

jamaraa

Do you detangle your hair while it's wet and better yet w/ the conditioner on it? With two textures you have to be careful, but you should detangle w/ the conditioner on it. If you wait to detangle until afterwards, your natural hair has a better chance of getting horribly tangled.

No, I don't think shampoo is causing tangling....tho it might be your technique when you shampoo OR condition.

isobell

It might be that the 10 en 1 isn't cutting it...i like it but after a protein treatment i prefer to use something more moisturizing and slippy like silk elements moisturizing treatment...for more choices look up the deep conditioning challenge threads. Also when u have a lot of new growth it helps if u apply your conditioner like a relaxer from root to tip, this really ensures that u get good conditioner coverage and always results in very slippy hair for me. Finally detangle your hair when wet and in manage-able sections with a big toothed comb and then a smaller type comb/denman brush to get all the shed hair out....hope that helps!

Ronda123

I just finished washing, deep conditioning and giving myself a protein treatment, and for the past few weeks, my hair has not had as much slip as it usually does, even though I'm 3 months post, I usually have a good amount of slip. A few weeks ago I tried a honey rinse, and it tangled my hair, and then I had the Miss Keys 10 en 1 and that tangled my hair as well. My hair has not really been the same ever since this. Do you think it's because I'm using shampoo? I'm not sure what to do, I just finished putting rollers in my hair for a ponytail rollerset, but I know I lost quite a bit of hair because my hair was knotty. I'm trying to go natural but the way my hair is tangling has me thinking about getting a relaxer. Please please help!!

I'm going through the same thing. I washed and rollerset my hair just now and the two textures were fighting each other. I know I need to change my regimen and will be watching this thread closely.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
If you haven't already, try detangling your hair in 4 sections and keeping them separate using ouchless bands.

cdixon

Thanks for all the responses, it's my relaxed hair that is tangling. It's knotting. I have the ORS pak conditioner but I have the huge bottle, this is what I used today after the protein treatment. Maybe I should wash my hair in sections? Do you just part your hair in 4 sections and wash each section? I have an applicator brush but I didn't use it today.

ASJ227

I've also been looking around for info on how to tame tangles, and this is what has been working for me:

I started using the "crawl method" from Dr. Akbari. Her vidoes are on youtube. I do thhis when washing to make sue i get to my scalp/new growth when washing and conditioning. Also, I stopped rubbing my whole head around with shampoo. Instead I get down in there with my finger tips and rub my scalp directly. I try to leave the ends undisturbed. Last but not least, I got a new brush. Tried the Denman, but I don't think it will work for me until I go all the way natural, or get more new growth. Goody has a paddle brush infused with jojoba oil. It is the bomb! I can finally come through my hair when wet. It just slides right through!

ps.. I am 4 months post relaxer. HTH!

Firefly

I think you may want to add more moisture to you hair. Try adding EVOO to your conditioner also and doing a deep condition (without protein). Make sure that you use heat (heating cap, hardtop dryer or plastic cap with a really warm towel wrap) for at least 15-20 minutes so it will penetrate better then rinse with cool water to seal the cuticle. I know that there are a lot of women that detangle only under running water and when my hair was all natural, I was able to do that but now that I'm texlaxed I have to detangle slowly in small sections after applying Giovanni Direct leave-in. Everyone is different so keep trying things until you find what's right for you and above all, be patient with your hair when detangling. If you find yourself getting frustrated take a break and a deep breath for a minute or two. I find that it helps me to remember my goal. Good Luck!!

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Thanks for all the responses, it's my relaxed hair that is tangling. It's knotting. I have the ORS pak conditioner but I have the huge bottle, this is what I used today after the protein treatment. Maybe I should wash my hair in sections? Do you just part your hair in 4 sections and wash each section? I have an applicator brush but I didn't use it today.

part in 4 sections and work each individual section as if you were applying a perm. coat each section with shampoo or con (I always detangle with shampoo) and comb starting at the ends and workin your way up to the root. If you want to use the denman on the new growth go ahead, but I wouldn't recommend raking it through the relaxed portion. Because my hair is texlaxed, I can braid each section to rinse and it won't come loose, but you can keep it separated with ouchless bands if your relaxed section is straigher. Then apply conditioner, rinsing the same way in either 4 braids or 4 banded sections.

I transitioned for 14 months, but I found after about 5 months of new growth if I didn't detangle in sections I had the problems that you are experiencing.

jamaraa

Don't use a brush on your wet hair, I say...any of it, NG or relaxed part. With two textures, I'd esp. not recommend this. A wide toothed or a "shower comb" used very carefully is all you need in terms of tool.

One more thing...try combing your hair in the direction you plan to wash it BEFORE you wet it. Since I wash forwards, I comb it that way before I put any water on it. Not only does this help eliminate almost all tangles before you even start, it makes it easier to detangle and section later as you condition. This also has the added benefit of helping remove the shed hairs better than mere washing/conditioning. Shed hairs that aren't removed can be a big cause of tangling. That might be why it's your relaxed hair that's acting up.

Last edited:

Eisani

Oh and another thing. I wouldn't recommend using ORS Repleneshing after a protein treatment. Miss Key 10 en 1 either ciz both contain protein as well. You should f/u with a good moisturizing conditioner that's protein free.