Transitioning a year may not be possible....

DigitalRain

I washed out my press my mom did a week ago, and as Im detangling, I see there such a HUGE difference between my new growth and my relaxed hair, so much that I don't think I'll be able to transition an entire year. The relaxed hair is already breaking off :nono: and Im only 12 weeks post. I now see why I chose to bc early in the game when I attempted to transition years ago.

Anybody else in the same boat?

I would be in that boat. But i have to straighten my new growth. And a lot of hair breaks of when washing so now i wash once every two weeks. I'm exactly 16 weeks post today. But i only have just over an inch of growth

This is where ps'ing really helps. For me the best choice was sewn-ins bc,from 3mths - 5mths post braid outs were great, but the the manipulation of the 2 textures got to me, so I weaved it up. I took my weave out a few weeks ago, but I will most likely get another one right when the new year starts.

You know I wore braids for the entire time (1.5 years). I cannot even imagine working with those two different textures on a regular basis. I only dealt with them a couple of times really, tried a press but that didn't last long in the summer lol. Other than that it was just wash, and get ready for braids again.

I'm using braids and BKT. My flat-ironed, 10 weeks post hair looks like it's freshly relaxed, and it stays that way till I wash it. I will be braiding it back up in a few weeks, but so far I haven't had any problems at the line of demarcation (knock on wood!).

Last edited:
I'm now 3 1/2 years natural. I think I transistioned for 11 months. I mainly wore phony pony's and flat ironed my hair. I think the trick is to detangle in the shower on conditioner soaked hair, rinse and twist/plait the hair to help avoid some of the breakage during that time. Then flat iron each section.

Back