A Transitioning Story

bermudabeauty

I wanted to share my transition to natural story with all ladies that are just starting their transition story like me.

Why I decided to transition: I love curly hair and always wanted my own hair curly. Also tired of my hair growing long then breaking with relaxers. I am presently 12 weeks post relaxer.

My Transition Plan: My plan is to do three big cuts. I have already done two. Since my hair is in a bob cut I have trimmed the entire nape of my neck to the new growth to see what products work for me and what my hair texture is. I plan to do the final BC no earlier than July which is 6months post relaxer

Finding Products that work for my relaxed hair and my natural hair: After stalking many fotki and asking several natural heads...I am presently using Neutrogena Tripple Moisture Shampoo and Deep Recovery Mask for conditioner. Twice a week. and Daily using Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1.

Detangling: It's a ****! I can only detangle with my fingers as I wash out the conditioner. Detangling dry is a no go.

Breakage/Shedding: I am starting to see more shedding and also starting to see a bit of breakage. I am very gentle with my hair. I keep it moisturized and only finger comb once a day.

Styling: I part my hair in 4 sections and do a two strand twist on 4 flexi rod rollers daily at night with Hawaiian 14-in 1 mositurizer.

Frustrations: I didn't anticipate how much shrinkage I would have with my new growth. I have around 2inches of new growth and it looks like a half inch. I don't like that I have two different curl patterns. 4a and a dash of 3c.

New Positive Experience: I now know I have a good quality of natural curly hair. Love telling my story and encouraging other woman that it is ok to try being a natural beauty.

Pictures of my transition are available on my fotki. Please share your transitioning story.

Eisani

I wanted to share my transition to natural story with all ladies that are just starting their transition story like me.

Why I decided to transition: I love curly hair and always wanted my own hair curly. Also tired of my hair growing long then breaking with relaxers. I am presently 12 weeks post relaxer.

My Transition Plan: My plan is to do three big cuts. I have already done two. Since my hair is in a bob cut I have trimmed the entire nape of my neck to the new growth to see what products work for me and what my hair texture is. I plan to do the final BC no earlier than July which is 6months post relaxer

Finding Products that work for my relaxed hair and my natural hair: After stalking many fotki and asking several natural heads...I am presently using Neutrogena Tripple Moisture Shampoo and Deep Recovery Mask for conditioner. Twice a week. and Daily using Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1.

Detangling: It's a ****! I can only detangle with my fingers as I wash out the conditioner. Detangling dry is a no go.

Breakage/Shedding: I am starting to see more shedding and also starting to see a bit of breakage. I am very gentle with my hair. I keep it moisturized and only finger comb once a day.

Styling: I part my hair in 4 sections and do a two strand twist on 4 flexi rod rollers daily at night with Hawaiian 14-in 1 mositurizer.

Frustrations: I didn't anticipate how much shrinkage I would have with my new growth. I have around 2inches of new growth and it looks like a half inch. I don't like that I have two different curl patterns. 4a and a dash of 3c.

New Positive Experience: I now know I have a good quality of natural curly hair. Love telling my story and encouraging other woman that it is ok to try being a natural beauty.

Pictures of my transition are available on my fotki. Please share your transitioning story.
Good to see you figuring out what works for you. You do realize the red will rub some people the wrong way :giggle: but it's all about how YOU feel!

bermudabeauty

Not trying to ruffle any feathers. As small child growing up I was told I had sheep booty hair lol but true. That is why my mother always put a relaxer in my hair. So I always assumed I had to get a relaxer for that reason. I grew up thinking I wouldn't be able to look good or manage my hair because it was course and nappy. So I kept up the creamy crack addiction for 20 plus years. So needless to say that I am amazed and impressed by the natural beautiful curls I never even knew I had.

Last edited:

SunnyDelight

Wonderful story. I am transitioning too - no big chop though. I'm doing lots of mini's. and yes - Detangling is a beast!

Oh. . . I love your curly do. I might try that for Easter Sunday.

Eisani

Not trying to ruffle any feathers. As small child growing up I was told I had sheep booty hair lol but true. That is why my mother always put a relaxer in my hair. So I always assumed I had to get a relaxer for that reason. I grew up thinking I wouldn't be able to look good or manage my hair because it was course and nappy. So I kept up the creamy crack addiction for 20 plus years. So needless to say that I am amazed and impressed by the natural beautiful curls I never even knew I had.
I hear you. Congrats girlie :)

casey3035

I understand where you're coming from...some people are sooo touchy and that's coming from a woman with 4 z hair.LOL

pmichael52172

Love your story! Although I'm not a weave/wig person I must say you really know how to work 'em! Your curly/flexi styles are my favorite. I'm wearing this style in my 4 month phase and I love it!

I'm 4b and I have no problem with saying I have a good quality of hair! It's healthy, thriving and beautifully curly... so it is good!

Last edited:

BlondeByDesire

Thanks for sharing. I too am transitioning but I'm not doing any BCs anytime soon. I'm doing for a full year if not longer before I cut anything. I want to be at least SL. Keep up the good work - it's all about you.

LivingDoll

Thanks for sharing. I'm about 12 weeks post as well. I can definitely relate to most that you have said. I don't plan to BC until my natural hair is at least 5-6 inches (if at all) but we'll see. I love the way my NG looks. My new hairline is so pretty. Things have been fairly easy so far (probably because I was a texlaxer so the textures aren't that different). I'll check back after week 26.