Transitioning...from weaves to your own hair

Anticipatience08

I've been wearing sew-ins ever since I decided to go natural. 3 years later, I'm still wearing them. Part of the reason for this is because I'd like to grow my hair to MBL (straightened) and prefer this protective style.

The other reason? I'm scared to take care of my hair!!

After finding LHCF and an amazing stylist, I've finally experienced success in reaching my hair goals and went from SL to grazing BSL. But I'm scared to do ANYTHING to my own hair. I get worried that I'll damage it...especially since I like to wear my hair straight.

I took my last sew-in out a few days ago in order to try and give myself a few days to get over my fear, but it hasn't been easy. I can't imagine how I'll be once I reach my goal. I may end up continuing my weave regimen just because lol. I keep thinking of my hair being "exposed", being afraid of all heat, being paranoid about my ends, obsessing about other protective styles (will I have the same results that I've had with weaves?), etc.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I know I'm crazy and I may be alone on this lol. Any tips for those who transition from wearing weaves to caring for their own hair?

Angelbean

Girl this is exactly what I did I wore sew ins for two years before I started to wear my own hair. My reason was because I am not a hair person I can't do hair at all lol so it was an adjustment getting in the habit Of taking care of my hair. But now thanks to YouTube an lhcf it's much easier! You can do it!!!

virtuenow

I transitioned out of extensions after 1-yr straight of sew ins. It took 1 year of solely wearing my hair to really learn it (had my 1-year anniversary of wearing my hair recently). It's invigorating. I should note, I tried this before. I would wear microbraids for 1-2years at a time, come out of them-- and do everything with heat. My nice length hair would then break off and I come out of the process not learning my natural hair. Then I'd go straight back into extensions. I encourage you to come out of the weave; take a long break from heat (as long as you can) and FORCE yourself to learn your hair-- the good and the bad. I keep a journal and take notes on what I have done; and my plan for further improving my hair. I set weekly goals for improving my retention. B/c you get so scared after having 100% retention with weaves-- its initially hard to prepare for ways to match such retention; but possible. Each month you should get more and more confident-- the key is not giving up.

Last edited:

silverbuttons

Not Impressed
Hey, we are in the same boat! I transitioned with weaves, and now I am BSL. (With a goal of MBL)
I used kinky curly hair to help myself get used to my own hair... But you still need some time with your own hair
Always listen to your hair. If you think it's feeling weak, get a protein treatment. If you hear snaps while detangling, it's a sign you're being too rough.

Dedicate time to it --- this isn't going to be an easy process. But it can be fun and exciting. I'm wearing my hair out right now, and I absolutely love it. I'm still scared of the fact that I have hand in hair syndrome. I'm scared that when I blowdry my hair, it will break into a million pieces.

But it's exciting, so enjoy it. The worst thing you can do is dread dealing with your hair.

Anticipatience08

Such great advice already!!

I'm so concerned about doing damage as I learn my hair. But how else will I learn? LOL

My weave has become my security blanket, when I shouldn't be so dependent on it. I've got to change that!

silverbuttons

Not Impressed
You don't have to damage your hair as you learn. Learn from others, this is what the site is for.
If you have a question, search it! If the answer isn't there... Post a question.

From your post, you want to be a frequent user of heat. Find out common mistakes that people have made with heat. What kind of products do you need to stock up on?

It really is about research.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
You could maybe try to ween yourself. For example if you normally get a sew-in back to back: after a takedown wait 2 weeks. During that time, keep a journal of things you are trying such as products, styles and techniques and if your hair agreed with it our not. Next install wait one month and experiment. You could increase the time out of sew ins until you are comfortable with your hair.

Anticipatience08

You could maybe try to ween yourself. For example if you normally get a sew-in back to back: after a takedown wait 2 weeks. During that time, keep a journal of things you are trying such as products, styles and techniques and if your hair agreed with it our not. Next install wait one month and experiment. You could increase the time out of sew ins until you are comfortable with your hair.

I love this idea! Normally, I get no time with my hair between installs...which is why I took it down early this time. I'll make this a regular thing.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Kinky4Agirl

Never forget you can always go back to weave if you do any damage. Keep weave in the back of your mind like a warm blanket. You always have that... So go for it!