Transitioning..Heat once a week...too much?

Mz.Shug

I'm transitioning to natural.:blush: I've been texlaxed for a year now and all that I can gather is that my hair doesn't NOT like chemicals....believe me I've done the best I can with deep conditioning, protein and moisturizing, and protective styling.I have fine thin hair and it's not working for me. My last relaxer was this past May. I must say that since then my hair esp. my edges and nape have been coming back full force! I haven't had edges since I was 12!:look: Anywho. I was wondering if straightening my hair with heat once a week would be doing too much...Please let me know what you think!

dicapr

It depends on your goals. Using heat once a week may loosen your natural texture. If you are planning to do mainly natural styles this can cause you to chop heat damaged hair along with relaxed ends during your BC. If you are planning to continue to wear your hair straight after your transition I don't think that this will be a problem at all.

Fhrizzball

It also depends on your products and techniques as well. I would check out the thermasmooth thread because apparently that line keeps your hair straight for 2 weeks at a time. It is kinda pricey though.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
its been working just fine for my hair and i haven't relaxed since feb 09. i think you should consider your hair goals before you turn to daily heat use though.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
It's sometimes ok to use heat once a week as long as you only use it once a week. Hair must be well conditioned and the proper heat protectants must be used to protect your hair.

If you start doing it and you notice over time that your hair is not retaining length you may want to back away from the heat. Most people if heat is used properly don't have problems.

msa

Like others have said, it depends on your hair. I suspect that if chemicals don't work for you there's probably a good chance that heat isn't going to work either without some damage (but that's just my opinion).

If you're planning to be a straightened natural anyway, then it's no big deal if your texture incurs some heat damage (ie loosening). Just be sure to keep up with your conditioning and using a heat protectant and high quality tools. But, if you're planning to wear your natural hair unaltered by heat, it's probably best to learn how to care for it and style it while you're transitioning.

Honey Bee

I agree with everybody else, that if you're planning to be a straight natural you should be okay with a good heat protectant. Otoh, I bc'd after using heat (quite a bit more than once a week, I didn't know any better) while I grew it out. I wore it in a twa, but the hair that I had straightened never really acted right. It looked like a dry jheri curl. Not cute. It eventually blended in, as I grew more hair, but it wasn't really the look I was going for.

LushLox

I would compromise and opt for straightening the roots (only) once a week and then just ocassionally straightening the whole strand, but that's just my stance.

MsEllie

I have the same problem that you have, my hair is thin/fine and didn't take to relaxers at all.. so I was forced to go Natural...to top it off though there is another element that was added to my frustration - hot flashes - I would flat iron my hair then 2 days later due to those hot flashes it would be reverted :wallbash: back.

I chose to learn to style my own hair without heat and my hair actually is much healthier... but IMO if your hair can handle the once a week flat ironing I would say go for it - like the others indicated make sure you're protecting your hair each week as you do this.. clean, well conditioned, heat protectants and you should be fine

MizzBrit

depends on your hair.for me i did that..and now having to cut some heat damaged hair now..be sure to keep up with moisture and protein treatments if you do decide..but i think its best to let your hair be..maybe you can try roller setting?