Relaxers & Heat once a week is OKAY...?

SingBrina

Okay so I was thinking, I have never hada prob with my hair being in a relaxer.... I just stopped because I hear its better to not have too many chemicals. The only reason my hair was damaged was because I over did the chemicals, meaning. A relaxer, then I tried to lighten my hair on my own, then I went to the shop to get it lightened a week later because it didnt take. But before that three months in a row back to back I was dying my hair jet black then I lightened it.... So apparently my hair broke off. But now that I think about it, before every dying my hair and only relaxing it only, I NEVER had any problems, even putting heat once a week to straighten, it never broke of or anything, my hair was healthy. So I think I am going to go back to a relaxer and not DYE my hair while relaxed, my hair was better to manage as well.

Can anyone else relax and still use heat and be okay, or was I the only one? Hmmmm..... When I say heat I mean blow dry on cool and then flat iron once a week. When I say relaxer I just relaxed like every 4 months or if really necessary...

Last edited:

Keen

There are many relaxed members on here who uses heat with no issue. It all depend on your hair and how you use the heat.

SingBrina

Nope, I use heat every week and my hair is going great, lol

yeah i tried to switch up my regimen, but now that I think of it, heat was never a prob, I got really good hair products that conditioned my hair great and it never broke off, if it did break a lil more than the norm i used aphogee and keratin treatments and it was good again. ugh, hair is starting to make me sick!

TLC1020

Mine hair do just fine.............. On Sundays I shampoo, deep condition, dry hair then flat iron......... Still healthy :yep::yep:

TresLeches

I use HEAT alot!!!!!!!!!!!! I wash my hair every week, blow dry with a round brush and then flat iron. I have thick relaxed hair right at brastrap....but I am pretty sure if I had thin hair I might have different results.

lilsparkle825

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

most people who go natural due to relaxer issues relax too frequently, have bad scalp burns, have relaxer-resistant hair so their strands are not getting straight, or something like that. if you're only relaxing three times a year and aren't noticing any damage, then keep at it.

i would say this in regards to the heat: besides the fact that it's hot outside and who wants to use all that heat INDOORS as well, why not do a no-heat regimen for a few months just to see how your hair does without it? i mean, if your hair does ok WITH it, maybe it would really take off sans the blow dryers, flat irons or what not. then again, if you don't notice a difference....go back to what you were doing. *shrug*

SingBrina

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

most people who go natural due to relaxer issues relax too frequently, have bad scalp burns, have relaxer-resistant hair so their strands are not getting straight, or something like that. if you're only relaxing three times a year and aren't noticing any damage, then keep at it.

i would say this in regards to the heat: besides the fact that it's hot outside and who wants to use all that heat INDOORS as well, why not do a no-heat regimen for a few months just to see how your hair does without it? i mean, if your hair does ok WITH it, maybe it would really take off sans the blow dryers, flat irons or what not. then again, if you don't notice a difference....go back to what you were doing. *shrug*

Yeah you are right! :)

I am going to try that last paragraph.... but I am going back to my relaxer, its getting hard without it,.... and if I put my hair up or what not at least it will be easier and better so I can lay off the heat.

brucebettye

I am texlaxed and since my hair is getting longer I need to blow dry my hair at least once a week or every two weeks to get it to act right. I just don't flat iron my hair because I am lazy.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Thanks for this post - my hair breaks way more when I try these air dry methods maybe my heart isn't in it. Blow dry and flat iron for me from now on. I'm just going to pick up a couple more products (feeding the PJ) to ensure I'm protecting my hair properly!

KhandiB

I tried no heat... I like my hair straight, and it did not work for me.

I am however determined to get this rollersetting thing down, so I may end up cutting down on my heat.

But as of now, I wash, CPR, DC (with Motions Moisture Plus), Use Motions Nourish Leave In and then Air Dry to about 90% then blow dry and flat iron (with my Amika :love: )

SingBrina

Thanks for this post - my hair breaks way more when I try these air dry methods maybe my heart isn't in it. Blow dry and flat iron for me from now on. I'm just going to pick up a couple more products (feeding the PJ) to ensure I'm protecting my hair properly!

Ditto! I am going to just start using some stuff to include in my regimen, like adding oils to my ends when in a ponytail, but I cant go without a shampoo or no relaxer for too long or my hair hates me it seems, must be used to my old regimen or I just know how to care for my hair better that way

candita

I use heat weekly (although i don't bring it up to often lest someone throw stones at me) and my hair handles better with it than without it IMO. It makes it much easier for me to manage. Then again, my hair is also pretty thick, so if it were thinner then maybe heat would be more of a non-issue for me.

Of course, because I do use heat (let my hair air dry 60-70% of the way, blow dry the rest, then flat iron), I have to deep condition weekly and moisture my hair as needed during the week. Usually when I get to about 4 weeks post, I can really feel the difference in texture on my new growth and taking care of my hair requires more time.

Sondice

They are people the def do. Since you know your hair can handle it I say go for it. Do what makes you happy :)

SingBrina

I use heat weekly (although i don't bring it up to often lest someone throw stones at me) and my hair handles better with it than without it IMO. It makes it much easier for me to manage. Then again, my hair is also pretty thick, so if it were thinner then maybe heat would be more of a non-issue for me.

Of course, because I do use heat (let my hair air dry 60-70% of the way, blow dry the rest, then flat iron), I have to deep condition weekly and moisture my hair as needed during the week. Usually when I get to about 4 weeks post, I can really feel the difference in texture on my new growth and taking care of my hair requires more time.

I really appreciate your input, that makes me feel better, so do you relax?

candita

I really appreciate your input, that makes me feel better, so do you relax?

I do. I self-relax (cough**make my mother put in my relaxer for me**cough). I'm one of those people that relaxes frequently...meaning if I make it 8 weeks post before relaxing I start blasting R. Kelly's The World's Greatest in triumph! :lachen: I usually break down and do it 6-7 weeks post. I've tried stretching, I just can't do it. Last time I tried, which was about my 3rd attempt, my growth got so matted, I lost so much hair.

I tried to do the stretching and thought about relaxing only several times a year, but I've learned over time (once in a while, the hard way) I gotta do what's best for my hair because some people's opinions really only apply to their hair.