Transitioning with Buns - Airdry?

wontonfm

Hi all -

I'm currently transitioning (I'm 5 months post) and have been wearing my hair in buns a lot. Right now I wash once per week, air dry partially and then blow dry using the tension method to get my new growth smooth. I would ideally like to avoid the blow drying portion of my hair routine.

How does airdrying work when you're transitioning? How can I get my new growth somewhat flat so my buns aren't too poufy? Also, do you find your new growth gets tangled from air drying?

Would love some advice ladies.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Glamorous_chic

well, earlier iin my transition, my hair looked crazy. lol. the front part got really puffy, and just looked bad when i tried to wear it in a bun. i had the short bangs, so half of them were relaxed half was natural, so it was hard wearing bangs and looked bad wearing it all back. but my hair would be brittle, and break very easily when airdrying.

but now, the easiest way is after i wash it, i apply afroveda detangling leave in, then the redkin smooth down. then i use the deman to brush my hair back into a ponytail, and let it hair dry, and it looks much much better now. this method works best for me now.

angellike

i use the scarf method. I co-wash my hair at night to givemy hair time to dry while i sleep; detangle in the shower , then i blot the excess water from the length of my hair i add my leave-ins and oil, gel, etc; tie it down in a scarf and in the morning my hair is usually pretty flat, a usually wear a head band and that helps as well :)

ceebee3

i use the scarf method. I co-wash my hair at night to givemy hair time to dry while i sleep; detangle in the shower , then i blot the excess water from the length of my hair i add my leave-ins and oil, gel, etc; tie it down in a scarf and in the morning my hair is usually pretty flat, a usually wear a head band and that helps as well :)

I've been doing this for the last 2 weeks and it works really well. I have to add gel to my hair though to get it to lie smooth.

wontonfm

Thanks ladies... I might try this on my next wash day. Hopefully if I can master airdrying I'll be able to start co-washing mid-week!

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
I co-wash, squeeze out the excess water, moisturize and seal. After that I put unrefined shea butter on my edges and tie with a scarf. Hope that helps!

wontonfm

Thanks for all of your tips!

I ended up washing my hair and then using Giovanni Direct Leave-In, S-Curl and Coconut oil on my hair and combing it out. I then used Jane Carter Nourish and Shine on my edges and air-dried using the scarf method.

It worked great! My edges and even my "kitchen" came out really smoothly. My hair was not dry at all and came out really soft.

This method will really help me to cut down on heat (I was using a blow dryer on low to lighten my hair before bunning) and integrate co-washing into my routine.