Trimming and Dusting

1god1

Hey all....I decided to treat myself to a trip to a beautician yesterday. she said my ends needed to be cut cuz when she combed it, the comb didn't go through smoothly. I told her to go ahead and dust. She didn't know what dusting was, so I told her to go ahead and trim. She gave me a trim...don't know how much, but said more needed to cut and I should then be fine. She also said I need to come in every 6weeks for a trim.

I told her I wear my hair natural and in twists most of the time and was told natural hair which is curly...it is hard to maintain the ends. I thought I was doing a good job of maintaining my ends and see no problem with dusting.

What do you all think? Is it harder to maintain good ends with natural hair that is curly? I like the way my hair feels since she straightened it, but don't want to go back for trims. The wash, cond, hot oil and straighting cost around $85.......she did a good job, but when I started talking about the little stuff I do, I was looked at like an alien. LOL

Hey all....I decided to treat myself to a trip to a beautician yesterday. she said my ends needed to be cut cuz when she combed it, the comb didn't go through smoothly. I told her to go ahead and dust. She didn't know what dusting was, so I told her to go ahead and trim. She gave me a trim...don't know how much, but said more needed to cut and I should then be fine. She also said I need to come in every 6weeks for a trim.

I told her I wear my hair natural and in twists most of the time and was told natural hair which is curly...it is hard to maintain the ends. I thought I was doing a good job of maintaining my ends and see no problem with dusting.

What do you all think? Is it harder to maintain good ends with natural hair that is curly? I like the way my hair feels since she straightened it, but don't want to go back for trims. The wash, cond, hot oil and straighting cost around $85.......she did a good job, but when I started talking about the little stuff I do, I was looked at like an alien. LOL

You'll never see growth of you trim that often. IMO no matter how you wear your hair, as long as you keep the ends from drying out (heat, wind, brushing against your shirt all the time) your ends should be fine. Keep them moisurized and do ps at least every now and again and you shouldn't have to trim every few weeks. I think they recomend it out of habit.

I personally am against trims every six weeks, if you are trying to grow your hair out. I agree if you protective style and moisturize there shouldn't be a need to trim every six weeks. I think some stylist recommend this if you are coming to them frequently (2 wks) to get some kind of heat style which would eventually lead to you needing frequent trims, I say RUN RUN from her chair!

Also, it's not easy to wear twists with blunt and/or uniform ends. If that's your primary style, then it makes more sense for you to dust your own ends as needed.

Personally, I haven't trimmed/dusted/cut my ends in over two years. My ends feel fine to me, and don't hinder my styling or hair maintenance.

I figure my opinion of my hair is the most important one. If I feel okay about my ends who cares about anyone else? Do what you (not your stylist) thinks is best. You're the one living with your hair.

Thanx ladies. I read posts from other members who are told these things, but to experience it myself...well, it seemed different/surreal. Sometimes when I talk to folx about what I do to my hair (thanx to this and BHM), I feel like I am speaking a foreign language. I feel much better!!!

Sometimes when I talk to folx about what I do to my hair (thanx to this and BHM), I feel like I am speaking a foreign language. I feel much better!!!
Girl, I feel u. My hair dresser looked at me like I had grown another head when I said Megatek and looked utterly bewildered when I told her that I cleanse my hair with WEN. The woman even told my big sis that she would never have hair longer than shoulder length. For the most part, many stylists have no idea about HHP.Try mentioning a moisture and protien balance and watch the eyes glaze over.
On my trips to the hair dresser, I learned to go for my chemical processes and style and to keep the hair talk to a minimum, which is ironic, isn't it?

You'll never see growth of you trim that often. IMO no matter how you wear your hair, as long as you keep the ends from drying out (heat, wind, brushing against your shirt all the time) your ends should be fine. Keep them moisurized and do ps at least every now and again and you shouldn't have to trim every few weeks. I think they recomend it out of habit.

agreed. I am waistlength, and I got there by refusing to let people (incl. myself) get scissor happy

Whenever I "decide" to Trim, it will be at Supercuts or HairCutters, Mastercuts or someplace like that, whatever those places are called.....where I will be the one Supervising how it's done and Calling All the Shots w/o a Whole Lot of Unnecessary Lip Action.:rolleyes:

Cause I ain't tryna' hear alot of "Yang":rolleyes:

Eva' Again from No Stylists about MY HAIR.:rolleyes:

:blush:*oooo...sorry....sore subject*:look:slowly backing out of thread

Last edited:
I saw my stylist recently after 5 months break and she marveled at how well my hair looked after a long stretch. I checked with her to see whether I had any split ends, she said no, but that I should come back to her in a few weeks to get a trim.

Should you trim even if you don't have split ends? I have an issue insofar as my hair is fine, but my ends are pretty much uniform and quite even so aesthetically the hair looks fine.

What is the point of trimming just for the sake of it? :confused:

^ There is no point to that at all. Girl, don't go back there and get a trim. If there are no splits or damage, there is NO NEED to trim. I don't understand for the life of me why many stylists do that. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Hide your hair from that person's scissors! :grin:

cj

I saw my stylist recently after 5 months break and she marveled at how well my hair looked after a long stretch. I checked with her to see whether I had any split ends, she said no, but that I should come back to her in a few weeks to get a trim.

Should you trim even if you don't have split ends? I have an issue insofar as my hair is fine, but my ends are pretty much uniform and quite even so aesthetically the hair looks fine.

What is the point of trimming just for the sake of it? :confused:

She's just trying to make some extra $$$$$$. Trimming for the sake of it does nothing, imo, if you're keeping your ends moisturised and strong.

You dont need a trim every six weeks but please don't hold on to raggedy ends. Trimmed ends are beautiful. Pamper those ends once they are healthy and you will be glad you did. Happy hair growing.

Girl, I feel u. My hair dresser looked at me like I had grown another head when I said Megatek and looked utterly bewildered when I told her that I cleanse my hair with WEN. The woman even told my big sis that she would never have hair longer than shoulder length. For the most part, many stylists have no idea about HHP.Try mentioning a moisture and protien balance and watch the eyes glaze over.
On my trips to the hair dresser, I learned to go for my chemical processes and style and to keep the hair talk to a minimum, which is ironic, isn't it?

I cant wait until you prove her wrong:grin:

Back