Trimming Natural Hair

TGrigley

Hi, ladies. I have been natural for 13 months and 22 months without a relaxer. The two times that I have gotten my hair professionally straightened my stylist has trimmed my ends. I thought that my ends were healthy. I wanted to know how often you all trim your ends, your method, and how you take care of your ends. I moisturize and seal, so I do not know what the problem is.

Nouvelle

I trim my ends as needed with the twist 'n' snip method. Deep conditioning, moisturizing and sealing, and protective styles have really helped in preventing damaged ends for me. Sometimes stylists trim off a customary length that they are perhaps trained to do. This does not mean that your hair had to be trimmed unless you felt that the trim was needed.

Rapunzel*

when i was natural. I only got my hair trimmed once out of the year. It actually was a cut by a scissor happy stylist but my hair was fine after that. Now that im transitioning my hair hasnt been trimmed since September 08:look: i think my ends look great. I rarely use heat, my next trim is scheduled for december o9

sheba1

Your hair could be twisting around itself and forming single strand knots made more visible at the time of straightening. I don't know if that's the case in your situation but keeping the hair stretched can keep these progress slowers at bay. Wash-n-gos and wet buns can aggravate the knot situation.

Last edited:

Mz.MoMo5235

some stylist will do a trim every time they press to keep the hair even. if you dont want the trim, next time you go in, just tell her you want the press and no scissors, if she then stated "what if its uneven" reply with "let it be"... my stylist knew not to pull scissors out unless i asked lol but now she's gone and i'll have to train someone new :(