Trimming The Ends

Montreal

A Phobia of Scissors
I was wondering if trimming the hair every eight weeks is vital to hair growth? I havent been to a shop to get my ends trimmed in about a month and a half. Should I be worried?
confused.gif

In my opinion, if your ends are in good shape, then you should not be worried. If they are looking like they need a trim (and we all know what that looks like) then maybe you should get one. I am from the school that believes in trimming on an as-needed basis, not according to a set schedule. HTH

Trimming less often has worked for many women on here. Personally, I've never risked waiting longer than 8 months. I think I will try it after my hair grows out more and I can do it myself on an as-needed basis. Right now, under these braids I have a "cut" that I was too scared of ruining.

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
In my opinion, if your ends are in good shape, then you should not be worried. If they are looking like they need a trim (and we all know what that looks like) then maybe you should get one. I am from the school that believes in trimming on an as-needed basis, not according to a set schedule. HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree.
smile.gif

This topic gets brought up a lot here, but I'm glad. I think so many women are brainwashed into thinking that they must get a trim every 6-8 weeks or every time they touch up. This is simply not true in most cases. The only reason I can think of to get your hair trimmed that often is if you are ends actually ARE split, you wear your hair in a blunt cut, or you are actively trying to keep you hair at a certain length. I agree with trimming your hair when it actually NEEDS it and not by some set schedule. Trimming your hair every 6 weeks is going to result in some very slow growth retention, if that is in fact what you're aiming for.

MizAvalon, you totally hit the nail on its head. I was brain washed by my stylist into thinkin i needed a trim every 6-8 weeks. But now i get my hair trimmed when i feel as though i need it. I noticed that the longer i wait for a trim, the thinner my hair gets, I just like my hair to look and feel full ever since i got my hair cut to shoulder length a few months ago. It just all depends on what you feel is a good time to get a trim.

i only trim when necessary, which is usually every 6 months. IMO you trim every 6-8 weeks to maintain a style, not when you're trying to grow your hair...

I used to trim at each touch up, which was every 6 weeks.

I do believe now, that it was not necessary.

But having said that, I'm never quite sure as to the condition of my ends, i'm still trying to work that one out.

x

When my ends were really thin, I trimmed every 6 weeks after my relaxer. I did this for about a year. I've noticed that my ends are no longer thin. I don't have to trim that often anymore. I only trim (as BC stated) when my ends look raggedy.
laugh.gif

Back